Longevity of LGA 1366?

How long do you think Intel will continue the use of the socket LGA 1366?

• 18 months

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 2 years

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 3 years

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • 4+ years

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

a5i2c

Weaksauce
The 775 has been around for a good amount of time now and I think that this has been great for Intel. It's nice to be able to upgrade your cpu and not have to get a whole new motherboard to do so. Intel hasn't always been known for long range sockets though. Usually they were replacing them every 18 months or so.
So this brings up a question. How long do you think the new socket LGA 1366 will last? Do you think it will stay in service as long as the 775?

I don't think that it will last as long as the 775 did. Primarily the design of the 775 didn't have to change as much as the memory controller was an external function. This allowed for a more static connection between the CPU and the MCH in terms of design.

As for the new CPU platform, the memory controller will be integrated into the CPU itself. This will result similar situations to the AMD platform that had the AM2, AM2+ and the 1201 "Socket F" platforms. I suspect as Intel learns with the new processors that a different design in socket layout can accomplish better performance results, they'll adopt it quickly.

It's even possible they may find that a number of the interconnects are redundant and even reduce the pin count. Time will tell.

Back