longest range wireless router?

DirtyApe

Gawd
im looking for a wireless router that has a long range and really good signal strength. ive heard that d-link's new router is really good(their gaming router). i also heard that netgear's WGT624 has reall good range and signal strength. im leaning more towards netgear because ive had problems with d-link routers in the past. and if anyone knows of any other good routers than plz let me know.
PS: money is not an issue. i want an awesome wireless router that will let me use my laptop anywhere around my house with good signal strength too.

Some of the new MIMO (802.11n) routers are getting good reviews for distance and thouroughput. They are a little more expensive, and they arent ratified yet, so when they are ratified (they are pre/n now) somewhere in 2006 you may have some problems. But as for now they are compatible with 802.11 b/g so it may be something to look into.

Im running a linksys WRT54G at home, and i just started using some third party software, that allows me to bump up the power output considerably. I combined that with a pair of Linksys range extender antennas, and im getting distances that i dont even want. A quick walk with a wireless ipaq around the neighborhood was actually getting to far for my comfort.

Knocked the power down to 10mw (28 is stock on this router) and barelly get out of the house. Yet i have full coverage inside.

www.tomsnetworking.com has some good reviews on the new MIMO routers, as well as distance and thouroughput charts. You may want to look into that.

EDIT: The price of the range extenders 59.99 and the linksys router is creeping up to the price of the MIMO routers....so keep that in mind to. But the distances that im capable of is (with the power bump) incredible.

Good luck :)

If money isn't an issue, just buy whatever router you want (based on features), then attach and external omni-directional antenna. With a high-gain antenna, you'll get much more range than any factory config.

Back