Longest First Person Shooters?

KillRoy X

Gawd
With people complaining about some of the newer games coming out being too short, I was just wondering if anyone knows the length of some of the more popular ones to come about?

For Example Half-Life 1? How long was that? 12 hours? 15? I don't know if anyone has already put something together, if not, it would be an interesting thing to see.

Chime in!

the first unreal took forever.
its been too long though I cant remember how much time.

Personally I thought Doom3 was long. I got to Hell thinking I was almost finished only to be put back into the monotonous corridors. Hell was only halfway! Might have just been the fact that I played for 10-20 minutes at a time.

I would think System Shock 2 would possibly the longest FPS, that game took forever it seemed and so many choices and options.

Max payne I was perfect lenght i think, Max payne II was a kick ass game but way too short.

BoxDude said:
Personally I thought Doom3 was long. I got to Hell thinking I was almost finished only to be put back into the monotonous corridors. Hell was only halfway! Might have just been the fact that I played for 10-20 minutes at a time.

Yeah, i thought Hell would be the end since it was at the end of the original. Looked around online and found i had plenty more to do.

air2k5 said:
Max payne I was perfect lenght i think, Max payne II was a kick ass game but way too short.

Yeah they are such great games, if only more were like them...

Roll on MP3 :p

Halo 2... oh wait. That belongs in the shortest FPS ever category. :D

Anyway, I'd have to say Deus Ex or Half Life of the ones I finished. Then again I did all three endings of DX so maybe it just seemed longer.

the@ntipop said:
Halo 2... oh wait. That belongs in the shortest FPS ever category. :D

Yeah, but Halo 1 was long...too bad the second half of the game you were running back through the levels you had already done..backwards. ;) Still loved Halo 1 though.

i though far cry was pretty damn long (plus it was worth playing again a second time)

Though not an FPS per-see, the Myst titles were quite inolved and long...

Larry

Most games i play feel ridiculously long the first time i play them. Then on the second time through they feel really short. Part of that is cuz the first time you play you're figuring everything out, where to go, etc. On the second time you remember most of what you're supposed to do, so you just fly through it. That's how Half Life 1 and 2 felt to me.

I agree about Unreal. That was a very, very long game. But at the time it's uberness was unparalleled and I think most of us were happy that it was a long one.

Far Cry would have to be the longest i can remeber playing, as well as the best to replay over again to some degree, cause you could do whatever in the hell you wanted.

the last game i completed in single player was the orginal super mario brothers for Nintendo.

For some reason I can't stand playing the computer.

I just seems like a lie.

My vote is either Halflife or Far Cry. It seemed like it took me months to beat HL1. Try Far Cry for your first run through on Difficulty (I can't remember the name) 4 out of 5 or 3 out of 4 don't remember.

What a joke!

TheCommander said:
I don't know if you're purposely trying to provoke something here but the PC vs console topic has been debated to death and even so, it does not belong in this thread.

I think he meant playing the artificial intelligence, not PC vs. console. :)

It took weeks to play through all of the levels of Wolfenstein 3D, the original Doom & Duke 3D was pretty long too.

Seems that the more detailed the games become, the shorter they become. When it was all mazes and simple textures repeating, games were huge.

Anyone remember Clive Barkers Undying? That felt long, not sure if it really was or not.

To me Half-Life 2 felt short, but that might be because it was so good.

Time flies when you are...ah hell you get it.

Neural Interface said:
Yeah they are such great games, if only more were like them...

Roll on MP3 :p
Max Payne 3 is in development, but i doubght we will see it any time soon.

The longest game I've ever played was an old, old game called Betrayal at Krondor. It wasn't quite a FPS, it was more of an RPG. However, it took me 6 months (without any cheats) to finally beat it. Greatest game and plot ever. It was supposed to be a video game/book hybrid. It was stupendous.

Doom 3 was too long and repetative. Before I even got to hell I got pretty sick of it and enabled godmode just so I could beat the game (and I hate using cheats). If a game is going to be lengthy it needs to be able to keep you entertained and not make you feel as if you are just grinding away for no reason.

I think Half Life 2 did this pretty well.

HurtMeP1nty007 said:
I think i remember the game Kingpin being pretty long, and Far Cry def took some time to complete.
Far Cry was kick ass up to the part where you ross a huge bridge to begin findng monsters that a rocket wont even kill ,thats when i quit adn sold the game.

well it isnt a true blue FPS but Morrowind was FUCKING long especially if you used the two addon packs....but god damn it was fun !

by the way has anyone seen anything on Fallout3 yet? Fallot1-2 and Tactics was a fuckin blast !

Deus Ex took forever to finish, but it was worth it.

Some guy on page 1 said Half-Life 2. Now, whether or not it is "short" is certainly debatable, but I really don't think anyone can make the claim that it is one of the longest first person shooters while maintaining a straight face.

Genocidal[v2] said:
Doom 3 was too long and repetative. Before I even got to hell I got pretty sick of it and enabled godmode just so I could beat the game (and I hate using cheats). If a game is going to be lengthy it needs to be able to keep you entertained and not make you feel as if you are just grinding away for no reason.

I think Half Life 2 did this pretty well.
I did not really get into Doom 3, it was a great game a start but then it began to suck, i gpt bpred killing same things and getting lost n too damn dark corridors.

TechLarry said:
Though not an FPS per-see, the Myst titles were quite inolved and long...

Larry
Yeha, i lover the mysy titals, there were VERY long and in volved. But anyway, the longest FPS i have ever beaten would be Half-Life. It was long, but good.

Back