Longer range on netgear router...

randyc

Best Person
Hello Forums

I have a netgear mr814 that (according to the manual) came with a 2dBi antenna. My room which is right above it has trouble accessing the internet, and I brought the mr814 into my room and plugged it in and was able to hop right onto the network.
the card in my computer is a http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProd...=&Section_Id=201522&pcount=&Product_Id=136479
F5D7000

perhaps I could somehow get a bigger antenna on my card?

My whole house is 802.11b, we are really wanting to get a better signal in other parts of the house while we are at this.
any help is appreciated.

-randyc

edit: I just did some more research and it looks like should just buy a 6dBi antenna...
*Runs to the router to check the connecter*
alright, the thing is about 1mm across if that means anything (The connector on the one antenna)

Your best bet is to get a higher gain omni antenna. Visit.www.fab-corp.com and look at their omni directional vertical antennas. You dont need anything expensive, something along the lines of 10dB will be just fine. Get some coax and run the antenna to a good location, but mount the router as close as possible to the antenna as a shorter antenna run is best.

Your other option is WiFi repeaters, place one of these where there is good-ok coverage and it will rebroadcast on a different channel. Personally I would just solve the real problem and get a better antenna.

Do not run cable to an antenna. If you do get an omni, get from a place that will make you a pigtail at the same time, and keep it as short as possible. Move your AP or Router/AP combo (whatever you have) to adjust positioning. You can run cat5 to the router or ap much easier than coax, and you won't have signal attenuation. Anything over a few feet of coax should be LMR 240 or better, which can get expensive, especially if your buying short runs, not to mention trying to crimp your own connectors is gernally a terrible idea for those who have never done it. Huge loss from poorly crimped connectors. Speaking of which, you almost certainly have SMA or TNC connectors on your AP. Check your specs. Should say.

Back