Long time pc gamer that loves pcs but age makes me like consoles now

what's the difference between DisplayPort to HDMI vs HDMI to HDMI?...which is the ideal option (not just for my 1070 but in the future when I upgrade to an RTX 3080)?

The output is identical. They're converting everything over to HDMI 2.0b. The port on your GTX 1070 is HDMI 2.0b.

Just be sure you get a DisplayPort 3 to HDMI 2.0b, if you want to play games with HDR on. Older DisplayPort 1.2 doesn't support HDR colorspacce.

https://www.amazon.com/CAC-1080-DisplayPort-Adapter-displays-4096x2160/dp/B0775Z57H9?th=1

If you use that adapter, you might have to upgrade your video card's firmware to DisplayPort 1.3, which is why it's easier to just use the HDMI port you already have.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

If you need an HDMI 2 cable , just use this:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-2-Pack/dp/B014I8SX4Y

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
And if you decide to use this long-term (use it as a Windows desktop, with things like a browser), just setup Win 10's dark mode plus a black background plus a black screensaver. Then have it hide taskbar.

As long as you play mostly full-screen games/movies, you will not have any trouble with burn-in.

I have an LG C7 and could easily hook it up to my PC but I'd rather wait till I upgrade my GPU (RTX 3080)...but I would only want to use it for games and not web browsing etc...I hear MA: Andromeda is one of the few games with Dolby Vision support and looks pretty amazing

it would be DisplayPort on my GPU to HDMI on my OLED?...or is it HDMI to HDMI?

Many of EAs games support DV. I'll save you the trouble. It doesn't work. Not since MS baked HDR into windows 10. Just use standard HDR, it looks very good.

Do HDMI to HDMI... Especially if you are passing audio. Just easier that way.

what's the difference between DisplayPort to HDMI vs HDMI to HDMI?...which is the ideal option (not just for my 1070 but in the future when I upgrade to an RTX 3080)?
There is zero reason to do display port to HDMI, unless its your only option due to a complete mismatch of your GPU's output and your display's input. And some devices don't like it anyway.

I have never really played consoles until the switch but it has sucked me in and I have enjoyed it. I have my PC hooked to my 82inch Samsung that has freesync and it looks nice. However, its really hard to see some things in some games. The screen size and resolution makes it hard to read. Big beautiful world with tiny text, gets really annoying trying to adjust the UI size/text to be legible. Especially when trying to get my wife into some games with her bad eye sight. I am really tempted to get a PS5 or Xbox in the next generation release. I never thought I would do that either.. Maybe I'm getting old too.

There is zero reason to do display port to HDMI, unless its your only option due to a complete mismatch of your GPU's output and your display's input. And some devices don't like it anyway.
Only way to get 4k120 for LG OLEDs with that new adapter til HDMI 2.1 cards finally come out.

55 this october and no desire to console game at all. Those friggen controllers are just not ergonomic for me. Hand and shoulder cramps in minutes no thanks.

All you need is HDMI cable from your PC to TV, just drill a small hole in your wall or get STEAM link.

Back