Long time pc gamer that loves pcs but age makes me like consoles now

jarablue

Gawd
I just wanted to make a post for us 45 year old guys here. I have gamed on pcs since 1990. BBS days and before that since the early 80s. After sitting hunched over in an office chair and upright at my computer with my nice keyboard and mouse and office chair and slammin system. To me now, nothing beats a really nice big ass TV with hot tech and a good console game. Sitting on my couch with a beer in my hand totally comfortable. I know pcs are more powerful but at my age. Comfort and contentment is coming through.

There is just something about sitting on a couch with your legs up with a cold beer and relaxing that a desk and office chair will never replace.

And I am die hard pc master race guy. But I do appreciate a nice TV with the new consoles coming out. Age I guess.

T4rd

Fully [H]
To me, if you like games at all and in more than a couple genres (say FPS or RTS games on PC), you should be pretty platform agnostic, as they all offer their own exclusives (well maybe besides Xbone at this point) and advantages over either other even going from PC to console. I also like to jump between my office chair and couch depending on my mood and type of game as well, but either setting doesn't dictate what platform I'm playing on either, as sometimes I play my PC games on my TV via my Steam Link/Shield TV and I also move my consoles to my office to play on my monitor sometimes as well since I like to sit closer to the display for better immersion for some games.

So generally I stick to FPS and other cross-platform games on my PC to take advantage of its better hardware and performance, and consoles for their exclusives, which admittedly are where most of my favorite games from the last several years come from and is how I justify having the consoles for those relatively few games.

TheHig

Gawd
Is it gaming from the sofa/recliner or the hassle of tinkering with a PC that is winning here?

Year 46 coming up soon myself and I just have a second PC for that couch gaming experience. Wireless peripherals are great these days and plenty of games play well this way.

Armenius

Fully [H]
I just wanted to make a post for us 45 year old guys here. I have gamed on pcs since 1990. BBS days and before that since the early 80s. After sitting hunched over in an office chair and upright at my computer with my nice keyboard and mouse and office chair and slammin system. To me now, nothing beats a really nice big ass TV with hot tech and a good console game. Sitting on my couch with a beer in my hand totally comfortable. I know pcs are more powerful but at my age. Comfort and contentment is coming through.

There is just something about sitting on a couch with your legs up with a cold beer and relaxing that a desk and office chair will never replace.

And I am die hard pc master race guy. But I do appreciate a nice TV with the new consoles coming out. Age I guess.
You can connect your PC to your TV physically or wirelessly, and wireless peripherals exist.

M76

[H]F Junkie
To me the only definitive way to play games is on the PC, sitting 2-3 feet from the screen. When I brought my tlou2 screenshots to the PC and put it full screen I was really saddened by how much I'm missing out on by playing it on a TV. I used to play the PS4 on my monitor but I Can'T do that with my current 24:10 screen as the PS4 just doesn't support widescreen. So I either end up with bad scaling and black bars on the side or cut off the bottom and top of the picture.

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
I got a better picture on my Samsung KS8500 49" than what I've seen on most monitors. However, the low framerates are the biggest problem. Newer 4K units that have FreeSync/G-Sync capability and higher refresh rates should be able to solve those issues. Personally, I feel the immersion factor is better with a TV close up, but the performance leaves a lot to be desired. 60Hz just doesn't do it for me.

Saturn_V

[H]ard|Gawd
I just wanted to make a post for us 45 year old guys here.
This 53 year old guy thinks you're nuts. I have Steam Links that can stream to every TV in my house for over four years- and I still prefer gaming at the desktop w/ a mouse & kybd. And I don't even consider myself PCMR.

If you want to go whole-hog console, go right ahead. But don't generalize characteristics based on age. The only thing different about me now vs 45 is that my eyesight is a little worse, (which makes building a new system a little daunting)

braamer

[H]ard|Gawd
Has nothing to do with age. I'm 47, and still much prefer playing on PC. The only time I play console is for exclusives.

PC is faster, looks better, has much better modding, I can use a controller when I want, and it's easy to use the latest 4k screens.

cjcox

[H]ard|Gawd
Most hard core gamers I know have a high end recent PC with latest GPU, equipment, etc... as well as a plethora of consoles (they keep over the years). Just saying.

pendragon1

Fully [H]
41 today and have had my PCs have been hooked to my TV for ~11 years, game and surf from the couch. dont think ive touched a console in that time either. no wait thats a lie, i played the ff vii demo on my little sisters ps4 on her tv.

Armenius

Fully [H]
Most hard core gamers I know have a high end recent PC with latest GPU, equipment, etc... as well as a plethora of consoles (they keep over the years). Just saying.
Indeed. In addition to the PC in my signature I have a collection of consoles that I find time to play games on regularly, including all current generation consoles.

Domingo

Fully [H]
To me they're all the same. I have my PC hooked up to the same TV that my consoles are hooked up to. They're all running through the same AV receiver, too.
Both the Xbox One and PS3 pads work flawlessly with a PC and Steam Big Picture works like a console front-end. Xbox Game Pass even gives you all of MS's exclusive games for $5 per month.
It has never been easier to treat your PC like the greatest console of them all. Just plug your HDMI-out into any TV from the last 10 years and you're there.

Comixbooks

Ignore Me
Just use a controller plugged into USB port. Unless your playing a RPG that requires a mouse.

harsaphes

Supreme [H]ardness

I'm sitting about ten feet away from my TV right now with a keyboard and mouse. Just connect the computer to the TV. Problem solved.

Niner21

Limp Gawd
I'm in my late forties and still prefer a PC. I do have a PS4 but it gets used very rarely. As others have mentioned just get a wireless keyboard and mouse, and I also got a wireless Xbox controller as well.

Domingo

Fully [H]
Wireless mice and keyboards have never been better. They work from long distances with precision that's on par (or close) to wired. You can even get wireless mechanical keyboards, too.
Your local Wal-Mart, Target, Bed/Bath/Beyond, etc. should have these for around $20-25. These Amazon ones are newer (and have a cup-holder), but the old ones are common and cheap: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=table+mate+2

Combine these with some wireless accessories and you're couch gaming/working on your PC/TV in minutes.

auntjemima

Supreme [H]ardness

I WANT to enjoy console games, but I'll be honest, I cannot get the hang of the analog sticks. I can use them, sure, but do I trust my ability in a fast paced game or online? Nope.

I avoided them as long as possible. On the ps1/2 and to an extent the PS3, I used the directional pad as much as possible. Probably ruined it for me.

Nothing beats the speed and accuracy of a mouse, so for now I'll stick to PC gaming.

To each their own!