Long Range Nissan Leaf E-Plus Coming in 2019, Will Have 200 HP

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Nissan's director of EV Marketing and Sales Strategy says the 2019 Leaf will be called the E-Plus and will feature a larger battery and more power. This means the new Leaf will have a range of over 200 miles and will sport up to 200 HP. Nissan won't commit to a sales date, but it's most likely late this year or early next year. In my opinion this vehicle will attract more customers than it has in the past due to the increased range and sportier power train. Also, I'm hopeful that this kind of competition drives more EV innovation and reduces the cost of entry for a nice EV.

Maragno said the larger battery Leaf will receive the ‘E-Plus’ badge and will get a boost in power over the 40 kWh version. The 40 kWh Leaf is rated at 142 hp, but the long-range model will have 200 hp on tap. Maragno said the larger battery simply made it possible to have more power, as the more robust motor would drain the smaller battery at a quicker rate. If you can give it more power, you might as well, right?

blekk 200 miles, if it were a proper hybrid (which this sounds like) it should be trying to nail 400+ mile with the gain in range from the diesel and the crazy acceleration that electric is capable of.

IMO it seems these "car makers" are doing what they can to make sure they only do small bumps for incremental gains while stil wanting big pay days..almost as bad as Intel or most smartphone folks LOL

this is 2018 not 1960, they at least could get the best mileage they can because we all know they build them nowhere near as "durable" as they did back then and the fact of the matter is the resources such as fuel and the crud they use to make the batteries is anything but low cost AND the resources are anything but long term viability (considering the price is going up and up and up for pretty much everything)

not going to "last" at least increase range and minimize cost as much as possible because they already get repeat business o_O

And will cost more than a tesla 3...

Like seriously, take the specs from the tesla competing in your market segment, and either beat them and charge the same price, or meet them than charge less. We dont need another $45k econo box, people with $45k to blow do not have fuel savings in mind.

Reactions: PaulP
like this
I'm, not crazy about the "efficiency hatch" type appearance of the Leaf, (this is why I havent bought a Bolt) but with a 200+ mile range, at least it becomes a feasible vehicle to own.

Yeah, as a second car, once again. That's why I hate subsidies on these items, they are for the "rich".

How do you mean? It's a tax credit, not a deduction. This means almost anyone should be able to claim it, right? As long as you pay at least $7,500 a year in federal taxes, you ought to get the full amount. I'm not wealthy, and I always pay more than that in federal income tax.

Granted, I've never been able to afford a house, so I don't have the mortgage interest rate deduction, so I pay more taxes because of that...

How do you mean? It's a tax credit, not a deduction. This means almost anyone should be able to claim it, right? As long as you pay at least $7,500 a year in federal taxes, you ought to get the full amount. I'm not wealthy, and I always pay more than that in federal income tax.

Granted, I've never been able to afford a house, so I don't have the mortgage interest rate deduction, so I pay more taxes because of that...

You have to make $65k per year with zero deductions to generate a $7.5k tax bill. So that should mean that just about everyone in the house has to make at least $32 an hour, and contribute zeltch to their 401k etc, and not write off any interest from loans, etc.

Last edited:
the US imported leafs are spreading like fire here in Jordan, I think I read somewhere it's the fastest spreading car in the history of the country
the main reason is because EV cars are free of "most" taxes (for now) and because the government recently completely killed the hybrid market after increasing their taxes to become close to hte normal gas cars, so basically an 2015 leaf costs half the price of 2015 corolla!

this is from one of their extremely very active Facebook club gatherings
35943628_10156299876755540_7530539569381376000_n.jpg

They HAD to come out with this. Kia already announced their Niro EV with a 200+ mile range, 200+ hp and if the Leaf were still at 100 miles (give or take) range, their sales would fall off a cliff! Great to see real competition in the entry level EV market!

Reactions: DocNo
like this
I'm too cheap to buy a car younger than about 8 years old. Works okay with internal combustion, but fairly sure battery life will be shocking on an 8 year old car, especially on these earlier models that have low capacity to begin with.

You have to make $65k per year with zero deductions to generate a $7.5k tax bill. So that should mean that just about everyone in the house has to make at least $32 an hour, and contribute zeltch to their 401k etc, and not write off any interest from loans, etc.

$65k is less than the median family income in Massachusetts. And if you only earn that much you can barely live in eastern mass as real estate is so expensive, so you probably won't be putting much if anything into 401k or savings.

I mean, $65k is starting salary level for a kid fresh out of state school with regular run of the mill engineering degree (I mean, mechanical or electrical, not software engineer, they make more)

In fact, a colleague and I were talking the other day what kind of family income it would take to live what most people consider the solid middle class life here. You know, married couple, 2.1 kids, 2 used late model reliable but not fancy cars, a modest 2,000 sqft single family home on a small plot, while making enough money to afford decent health insurance, and be able to save for both retirement and college for the kids without worrying about putting food on the table, and still being able to, once or twice a month, go out to dinner.

Our conclusion was that would take a family income of about $225k

Yeah, $65k sounds fairly normal to me. I'd hardly call that rich. I'd call it fairly average, leaning towards possibly difficult to survive on as an adult with a family.

Last edited:
$65k is less than the median family income in Massachusetts. And if you only earn that much you can barely live in eastern mass as real estate is so expensive, so you probably won't be putting much if anything into 401k or savings.

I mean, $65k is starting salary level for a kid fresh out of state school with regular run of the mill engineering degree (I mean, mechanical or electrical, not software engineer, they make more)

So, yeah, sounds fairly normal to me. I'd hardly call that rich. I'd call it fairly average.

Half the population makes LESS than the median family income.
Plus when you take out income taxes, health insurance, etc. from their paychecks, actual taxable income is much less.

With all the deductions currently taken out of my paycheck, I'd have to be earning at least $130,000 to pay $7,500 in federal taxes.
(At least I'd be able to max out my 401k if I was earning that much)

In fact, a colleague and I were talking the other day what kind of family income it would take to live what most people consider the solid middle class life here. You know, married couple, 2.1 kids, 2 used late model reliable but not fancy cars, a modest 2000 sqft single family home on a small plot, while making enough money to afford decebt health insurance, and be able to save for both retirement and college for the kids without worrying about putting food on the table, and still being able to, once or twice a month, go out to dinner.

Yeah, $65k sounds fairly normal to me. I'd hardly call that rich. I'd call it fairly average, leaning towards possibly difficult to survive on as an adult with a family.
65k is big money in Detroit Michigan whole lot of people who would love to have that. I guess location is extremely important too.

Half the population makes LESS than the median family income.
Plus when you take out income taxes, health insurance, etc. from their paychecks, actual taxable income is much less.

With all the deductions currently taken out of my paycheck, I'd have to be earning at least $130,000 to pay $7,500 in federal taxes.
(At least I'd be able to max out my 401k if I was earning that much)

You are right about the tax amount. I just looked up my 2017 return. I paid a hell of a let less in total taxes than I remembered for some reason. Memory must be going in old age.

I still stand by my remarks regarding that $65k is not money you can raise a family on, at least not in eastern Mass.

You could do OK as a bachelor renting a room in an apartment with roommates on that income though.

I definitely would not call it "rich".

65k is big money in Detroit Michigan whole lot of people who would love to have that. I guess location is extremely important too.

Yeah, location certainly does matter.

I saw the title "Long Range Nissan Leaf" and immediately I got this mental image of someone shooting a Nissan Leaf from a rail gun :unsure:

In fact, a colleague and I were talking the other day what kind of family income it would take to live what most people consider the solid middle class life here. You know, married couple, 2.1 kids, 2 used late model reliable but not fancy cars, a modest 2,000 sqft single family home on a small plot, while making enough money to afford decent health insurance, and be able to save for both retirement and college for the kids without worrying about putting food on the table, and still being able to, once or twice a month, go out to dinner.

You slightly missed my point. DINKS (dual income no kids) EACH making $65kl a year is the min needed to get the full benefit. Yes joint filers, with or without kids, making a total $65k is pretty bad.

IMO it seems these "car makers" are doing what they can to make sure they only do small bumps for incremental gains while stil wanting big pay days..almost as bad as Intel or most smartphone folks LOL

It's a bit simpler than that, it's catering to the needs of the vast majority of drivers who doesnt need more than 200 miles range. Why was 40miles the accepted range for so long? Because the average commute is shorter than that, now people are wanting more range and Tesla seems to have set the bar.

I'll keep my usable for anything car. Until these things are averaging 350miles on a charge, can charge in less then 10 minutes and don't look like shitty little golf carts, I'll continue to pass. I wouldn't pay $500 for one of these useless things, much less the stupid amount they are asking. The nissan Leaf is the poster child of a car designed for pretentious fucks who never drive anywhere.

I'll keep my usable for anything car. Until these things are averaging 350miles on a charge, can charge in less then 10 minutes and don't look like shitty little golf carts, I'll continue to pass. I wouldn't pay $500 for one of these useless things, much less the stupid amount they are asking. The nissan Leaf is the poster child of a car designed for pretentious fucks who never drive anywhere.

I agree. They are currently too expensive. And all of them (except Tesla) look like terrible efficiency hatches. Most of that cost is tied up in the battery. Eventually battery prices will come down, and eventually more cars with at least an ounce of good design will hit the market.

The 200 mile range covers the needs of an overwhelming majority of people though. Personally I have what my colleagues consider a ridiculously long nightmare commute. Takes me 1.5 hours during rush hour one way. It's only 42 miles though. I could get there, home and stop by the grocery store no problem. That covers most peoples daily driving needs easily.

The once or twice a year I go for alobger road trip could be a problem, but I might be willing to rent a car for those if it means I never have to stop by the gas station the other 363 days a year.

And will cost more than a tesla 3...

Like seriously, take the specs from the tesla competing in your market segment, and either beat them and charge the same price, or meet them than charge less. We dont need another $45k econo box, people with $45k to blow do not have fuel savings in mind.

I seriously doubt a Leaf will cost more than $50k. The Tesla 3 you can't get lower than that.

Umm, not sure where you live, but $65k, is way over what a kid usually gets paid with any degree in Texas at least. Usually around $30k or so starting out.

blekk 200 miles, if it were a proper hybrid (which this sounds like) it should be trying to nail 400+ mile with the gain in range from the diesel and the crazy acceleration that electric is capable of.

this is 2018 not 1960, they at least could get the best mileage they can because we all know they build them nowhere near as "durable" as they did back then and the fact of the matter is the resources such as fuel and the crud they use to make the batteries is anything but low cost AND the resources are anything but long term viability (considering the price is going up and up and up for pretty much everything)

not going to "last" at least increase range and minimize cost as much as possible because they already get repeat business o_O
Wow, listen to this guy. 200mile range not good because it's year 2018. Are you serious?

Umm, not sure where you live, but $65k, is way over what a kid usually gets paid with any degree in Texas at least. Usually around $30k or so starting out.

Maybe an English major or someone who majored in basket weaving?

Even 15 years ago when I graduated the starting salary fresh out of college for a mechanical engineer was about $50k. It went up a bit then dropped significantly after the financial crisis, but then has gone back up again.

First result when I google it is a Michigan Tech page on engineering salaries. It lists the median starting salary for a Mechanical Engineer at $64,695. Software engineers are a little higher at $70,477, surprisingly Computer Hardware Engineers are even higher than that at $72,030. I thought software was king in the engineering salary world. The lowest is th Environmental Engineer at $59k. I could have guessed Environmental would have been lower.

Reactions: Parja
like this
I'm still all for small turbo deisels. If we as a collective society (I know, pipe dream, money rules everything) could get our heads out of our asses, we can literally grow fuel.

Lubricants are the only thing I'm not sure of.

The 200 mile range covers the needs of an overwhelming majority of people though. Personally I have what my colleagues consider a ridiculously long nightmare commute. Takes me 1.5 hours during rush hour one way. It's only 42 miles though. I could get there, home and stop by the grocery store no problem. That covers most peoples daily driving needs easily.

My commute is only 6 miles, but I still wouldn't want an electric car.
I prefer my Hybrid Camry that has a 600+ mile range on a tank of gas.
Means I only need to fill the tank once a month when I go to Costco. :D

I don't want a car that fulfills 80%, 90% or even 98% of my needs. I want one I can depend on, even in an emergency.

With my Hybrid, we can take a weekend trip to Santa Barbara or Las Vegas and not have to worry about charging the car or even stopping for gas if I fill it before we leave.

Couple years ago, I had a medical emergency during a long day trip. If we had an electric car, the wife would have had to deal with finding a place to charge it.
Instead, with our hybrid, she didn't even have to worry about buying gas during the extra 4 days, and we still had enough gas to drive home.

Also, good luck if you get a flat in an electric car, since most (all?) don't have a spare tire, or even a place to store one.

Poors think 65k is a lot of money.

Also, good luck if you get a flat in an electric car, since most (all?) don't have a spare tire, or even a place to store one.

Most subcompact cars have no spare tires. The have a can of fix-a-flat. It is not because the car is electric.

My commute is only 6 miles, but I still wouldn't want an electric car.
I prefer my Hybrid Camry that has a 600+ mile range on a tank of gas.
Means I only need to fill the tank once a month when I go to Costco. :D

I don't want a car that fulfills 80%, 90% or even 98% of my needs. I want one I can depend on, even in an emergency.

With my Hybrid, we can take a weekend trip to Santa Barbara or Las Vegas and not have to worry about charging the car or even stopping for gas if I fill it before we leave.

Couple years ago, I had a medical emergency during a long day trip. If we had an electric car, the wife would have had to deal with finding a place to charge it.
Instead, with our hybrid, she didn't even have to worry about buying gas during the extra 4 days, and we still had enough gas to drive home.

Frankly, I am in the same camp as you daily commute wise, but I made the complete opposite choice and went for an electric.
Vancouver BC's gas price hit an alltime North American high of USD $4.6/Gal, which made me think long and hard about hybrid or electric when it comes to what to buy.

I chose electric at the end, because I think I'd opt for rental for any kind of trip >300mi, so the car that I daily is strictly an intown A-B commuter.
I don't want to depend on one car to do it all at the end of the day.

Well at least the car is starting to look less and less like a pig with every new generation so that's good and the increased power is welcomed. On the older models the front lights were absolutely horrendous.

Shame heat is the killer of battery lifespan. Every additional 15 degrees Fahrenheit of increased temperature halves its lifespan (not sure how that varies between different battery techs). Link

It's 108 degrees here ya'll.

It will still be ugly as F.

Why is that all electrics except Tesla look like shit. The worst designs in body and styling ever.

I make about 60k/yr living in Seattle area...and it's still a struggle. Depends on where you live. And yeah, if I could move and keep my salary, I could live like a king somewhere else...

Long range = 200 miles?

WTF???

Wake me when they triple that, at a minimum...

Shame heat is the killer of battery lifespan. Every additional 15 degrees Fahrenheit of increased temperature halves its lifespan (not sure how that varies between different battery techs). Link

It's 108 degrees here ya'll.

And that is why leafs suck. They are the only one without active battery cooling. The early ones all had the packs die, and then they came out with "lizard" cells that they say can take the heat an not need active cooling. I still dont buy it.

Most subcompact cars have no spare tires. The have a can of fix-a-flat. It is not because the car is electric.

Electric or not, I won't buy a car without a spare, or at least an option to add a spare tire.

Unlike the electric cars that don't even have space for a spare, many of the subcompact cars (at least a few years ago when I looked into this) still had room to add a compact spare.

Back