Long Range Access Points

nitrobass24

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2009
Looking for a long range access point for my beach house.

In the process of remodeling it, and i have all of the electronics for the house in a closet.
I would like to put an access point that has a really long range, so i could get wifi on the beach.

The beach is about 50yds out from the building, but we are on the 10th floor, so i would need an AP, with about 1500yds of range.

ideas?

Can't reccomend and AP but a directionl antenna seems like you're best bet as well. Something window mountable like this?

The main problem is that your client devices won't be powerful enough to transmit back to the access point.

The main problem is that your client devices won't be powerful enough to transmit back to the access point.

Yea, I didnt think about that.
This is so my iphone/ipad will work on the beach.....ATT/VZW coverage sucks.

Do i have any options for this?

Yea, I didnt think about that.
This is so my iphone/ipad will work on the beach.....ATT/VZW coverage sucks.

Do i have any options for this?

Yeah, i'd opt for the amplifier and a dish. At least you'd have the range of 20-50km easy

Yeah, i'd opt for the amplifier and a dish. At least you'd have the range of 20-50km easy

You'd never ever get that range if it were just mounted on a house. You'd first have the horizon issue plus your fresnel zone would be way too low. I would personally use a Ubiquiti Nanostation on the house, and a high power usb wireless adapter. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-Wireless-Original-Screw-On-9dBi/dp/B001O9X9EU . That would be overkill, but it would work.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
+1 to /usr/home ^^^

You can also put the alfa in access point mode I believe so you can connect several devices down on the beach.

Just to clarify...

There is only one building; your "house" on the 10th floor....Correct?

You aren't trying to correct two buildings together, are you?

Just to clarify...

There is only one building; your "house" on the 10th floor....Correct?

You aren't trying to correct two buildings together, are you?

No just my house to my devices 1500ft away...not looking for point to point for two buildings

I am confused, if you are on the 10th floor and the beach is 50 yards away, why do you need over a 1/4 mile of coverage? wouldn't you just need like 250ft of coverage?

How about one of these,
http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-UniF...&ie=UTF8&qid=1346645361&sr=1-5&keywords=unify

Yeah I am confused as well on the 1500ft requirement. 10 floors, say 12 ft per floor (assuming highend building :)). so that is 120ft up and 150 feet out, so do a little trig since this is a right angle, then the distance he needs is just ~192 ft.

200 feet in open air should not be too tough to accomplish particularly since you can get away with a directional antenna. The biggest issue would be mobile devices like iPad and iPhone making that distance but it may work. Laptops tend to have better antennas and if they dont they work well with usb adapters. Heck if you really want, build a portable battery powered repeater for the beach :).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Heck if you really want, build a portable battery powered repeater for the beach :).

thats what i would do, would be super super easy too. Strap 2 x 12V nicads together and make a little caddy bring it to the beach when you need wifi, take it home when you go home. would be simple to build too..

You can use a directional antenna on one side of the RF connection and get some increased range out of it. It won't be as much as using a directional on both sides of the signal but it will get you better range than using an omni at both ends.

I use a patch antenna mounted by the window of the second story of my house to get wifi when I am 80-100 yards out in a field across the street while flying my scratchbuilt rc planes.

You can use a directional antenna on one side of the RF connection and get some increased range out of it. It won't be as much as using a directional on both sides of the signal but it will get you better range than using an omni at both ends.

I use a patch antenna mounted by the window of the second story of my house to get wifi when I am 80-100 yards out in a field across the street while flying my scratchbuilt rc planes.

do you fly like this ?

408263_337306449696652_654423184_n.jpg

last weekend :( bah !

Haha Dash I gave up on helis a long time ago. Too many parts, too easy to crash, and I can't build them out of blue foam. When i crash a plane it only costs me about a dollar to rebuild it from scratch....

Back