Long POST after BSOD? (Probably memory related)

Panda Man

Limp Gawd
Thread title reflects my main concern, but I had a few questions actually.

I received some new hardware for Christmas, however I've run in to some issues. At first I couldn't get the system to POST, and couldn't get anything on screen. The post lights indicated a memory failure. I tried ASUS's MemOK! to see if that would resolve anything, but no luck. After figuring out which DIMM was causing the issue, I managed to get the rig to boot up. After going into the BIOS and setting the speed, timings and voltage correctly, I put the other DIMM in and it booted up. I ran memtest86+ for 2 passes and it found no errors, so I assumed it was probably just a problem with auto-detection. After installing windows, everything was normal until Sunday evening, when I tried to shut down, I got a blue screen: PAGED_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. That pretty much confirmed that the module was indeed faulty, and I ran the windows based memtest which couldn't even make it to 3% before it registered 10 errors with both modules installed (0 errors with 100% coverage with just the single non-faulty module). So I'm currently RMAing the memory now with advaned replacement.

However, this morning, right before I left work, I think I got another BSOD during shutdown again. I'm not 100% sure what the error was as I had the monitor turned off, but I heard the fans kick in as if it was starting from a cold start. I turned the monitor back on and saw that it was POSTing again, however much slower than normal. It normally POSTS in about 5-7 seconds, this time it took about 25 seconds. It did boot all the way up into windows however, and it shut down like normal as well. I did not however have time to check the event log to get any details on the BSOD.

My main concern at this point is if this was normal after a (possibly memory related) BSOD. I've had my computer post in the past a bit slower after an error caused it to restart, but not nearly that much slower. Also, what do you guys think the odds are that something else might be wrong? When I get home, I plan on running sfc and reinstalling my drivers and other core software just to make sure it's not a corrupted file causing problems (I think the first BSOD actually had a directx file listed as the problem file), but the motherboard, cpu, psu and memory are all new. I've stress tested the cpu with PRIME95 with no errors, so I don't think it's the issue. I really hope my motherboard isn't faulty either :S

Also, I screwed up the sound card last night as well, I somehow managed to knock it out of the socket while the computer was live. I was checking the jack to make sure it was plugged in all the way (it wasn't, I was only getting audio from the left speaker), and I guess I didn't have screwed in all the way like I thought I did. Windows wouldn't boot after that until I reseated it. Not sure it's related to the current problems though.

--specs--

MOBO: ASUS P7P55D-E

CPU: Intel Core i5-650 Clarkdale 3.2GHz 4MB L3

MEM: CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W

GPU: HIS HD 4870

SPU: Creative Xtrememusic.

Peripherals: 2 500GB HDD's, 1 1TB HDD and 1 40GB SSD, and 1 DVD-RW burner.

All bundled in an Antec 900.

Again, my major concern was the long post, I REALLY do not want the motherboard to be bad as well.

All input is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Back