long iphone 3.0 restore time

anthrex

[H]ard|Gawd
is anyone's iphone taking a really long time to restore the phone after installing 3.0? mines taking an hour. i have probably 200-300mb max installed on there. any help is appreciated!

Restoring or syncing? Some people have reported long sync times, which is usually fixed by deleting all old backups and resyncing. It'll take a few minutes, but nothing like an hour, and will only happen once.

Restore, not sync? That's a new one. Okay, you're probably better off posting on Apple's discussion boards, or a more Mac-oriented forum than [H].

what is it saying as you restore? Waiting for iPhone, Preparing iPhone, Restoring iPhone?

Also, what error code did you get on the end, since by now it would have timed out

no errors its just really slow. it took about an hour and 10 minutes for it to restore. it definitely did not take this long back when 2.0 was on, no jail breaking or anything else funky.

no errors its just really slow. it took about an hour and 10 minutes for it to restore. it definitely did not take this long back when 2.0 was on, no jail breaking or anything else funky.

Is it a 3G iPhone or the original? I restored both my original and 3G to 3.0 between today and yesterday and did notice the 2G took a while to restore, but no where near an hour. But i guess as long as it works everything should be all right :D

Not to threadjack, but I'm glad to know that deleting old backups will decrease the time it takes to sync. That's something new I will have to try tonight. Last night's sync took the better part of an hour before I canceled it (had to power off computer due to electrical storm).

Not to threadjack, but I'm glad to know that deleting old backups will decrease the time it takes to sync. That's something new I will have to try tonight. Last night's sync took the better part of an hour before I canceled it (had to power off computer due to electrical storm).

Deleting old backups will not decrease sync time. What it will do is potentially reduce the chance that iTunes is getting confused about which backup it needs to deal with, or what specifically it needs to back up. Deleting all old backups will cause iTunes to do a "full" backup the first time you sync your iPhone again, but subsequent syncs will be the same quick speed.

Basically it's a way of reducing backup clutter, as well as a troubleshooting method. IMO it's also good to delete your old backups after you upgrade your iPhone's firmware and confirm that it's working well.

Back