Long Distance WiFi (1.3 Miles)

l008com

Limp Gawd
I've been working in tech for well over a decade but I have absolutely zero experience with long distance, directional wifi antenna, or really any custom antenna of any form. Long story short, I bought a new house but won't be moving in any time soon, and still live at the old one. I'd love to be able to create a network link between the two, so I don't have to get two separate internet connections. They're not very far apart, but as you can see, I do not have line of sight. One of the houses is on a bit of a plateau. But maybe with a distance that small, some wifi magic can happen?

What do you guys think? Also keep in mind that the whole point of this is to save a few bucks, so I don't want to go crazy and spend a fortune here. I also don't need any crazy speeds.

Ideally the way I'd like to this to work is with some kind of ethernet wifi bridge, connected to my main router (with it's own dedicated wifi network separate from the one I use), and on the other end where the new house is, the same deal, only plugged into a wifi router that's in bridge mode. That way I'd have a separate wifi network at the new house, but it would be on the same network, same router, same IP range as the other, and the long distance stuff would just be taking the place of a 1.3 mile long ethernet cable.

Let me know what you think?

qcvIE70.jpg

If you had line-of-site, you could use something like the Ubiquiti NanoBeams (plus appropriate routers) to link the two sites via point-to-point. However, without LoS, AFAIK you're SOL. If it were just a few trees in the way you could probably pull it off with a sufficiently-powered radio. But that landmass sitting between the two sites makes PtP a non-starter.

Does one location only requires occasional connectivity? If so, maybe just up your cellular data plan and add a hotspot?

Not going to happen. You need at least a 30' tower just to be even with the highest peak. That doesn't even account for the Fresnel zone that you need for the link to work properly.

Tether a weather balloon with some cat 5 about 200 feet above your lower altitude building and put an ap on it?

This is one of those deals where you'll have to pony up for an internet connection I think.

There are no other point to point LAN bridge technologies available? Like a 2 way walkie talkie type radio that transmits encrypted digital bytes?

There are no other point to point LAN bridge technologies available? Like a 2 way walkie talkie type radio that transmits encrypted digital bytes?

Sure if you are OK with dial up type speeds and spending a ton

Back