Lone Industries L2: Dual slot version of L1 anyone?

lol, guess I should get cracking with promoting your case round here :p Thanks for the numbers mate!

Just ordered one of your last L1's. Thanks for your time on these projects, James. They've been really worthwhile and I've loved seeing your designs come to life. I hope you have another one soon.

Hey guys anyone else had this problem?

I bought an HDPLEX 250W Hi-Fi DC-ATX Power Supply and it doesn't seem to be working with my motherboard, I've attached all the cables correctly and it powers up but I get no power to my the USB ports on my motherboard. I'm using a Dell 240W brick my computer is an i5 3ghz motherboard is MSI z97i AC 16g ram and 1 SSD everything works when plugging into my SFX 400wPSU, but when plugging into the HDPLEX 250 it boots up but there is no power to the USB ports so i cant even use my mouse or keyboard

Hey guys anyone else had this problem?

I bought an HDPLEX 250W Hi-Fi DC-ATX Power Supply and it doesn't seem to be working with my motherboard, I've attached all the cables correctly and it powers up but I get no power to my the USB ports on my motherboard. I'm using a Dell 240W brick my computer is an i5 3ghz motherboard is MSI z97i AC 16g ram and 1 SSD everything works when plugging into my SFX 400wPSU, but when plugging into the HDPLEX 250 it boots up but there is no power to the USB ports so i cant even use my mouse or keyboard

Sounds like 5V isn't getting thru, pull off the ATX connector and push all the wires in to make sure the molex pins are engaged in both sides of the connector and try reconnecting. Or if you have a voltmeter, short out pins 15 and 16 and test the motherboard side pins one at a time, there are a bunch of guides on line for doing that getting pinouts etc.

http://www.smpspowersupply.com/connectors-pinouts.html

Sounds like 5V isn't getting thru, pull off the ATX connector and push all the wires in to make sure the molex pins are engaged in both sides of the connector and try reconnecting. Or if you have a voltmeter, short out pins 15 and 16 and test the motherboard side pins one at a time, there are a bunch of guides on line for doing that getting pinouts etc.

http://www.smpspowersupply.com/connectors-pinouts.html

Thanks, yea i've tried reconnecting many times everything is fastened but still no usb power. I don't have a voltmeter any other way I can sort this out? the HD plex came with 2 24pin cables a short one and a longer one but I've tried both thinking the cable might have been defective but both cables didn't work. I've tried boothing with out ssd and still can use my mouse or keyboard

Sounds like an RMA then. I've got 3 HD Plex 150/160/250W and they all work great but I've had to return a full ATX PSU(Enermax) before. I bought one of those pocket PSU testers after the Enermax experience and test anything before hookup now, just put the 150W in a build last weekend.

WP_20141011_010_zpsa07b5c01.jpg

Anyone by any chance selling their case? I like this case but I guess I missed the ball on this

Anyone by any chance selling their case? I like this case but I guess I missed the ball on this

Check over on overclock.net, there was one in classifieds a few weeks ago. SPCR forums another places to look, Lone sold some there also. They do come up occasionally.

Sounds like an RMA then. I've got 3 HD Plex 150/160/250W and they all work great but I've had to return a full ATX PSU(Enermax) before. I bought one of those pocket PSU testers after the Enermax experience and test anything before hookup now, just put the 150W in a build last weekend.

WP_20141011_010_zpsa07b5c01.jpg

Hey Stevo, so i manage to order dr power 2 unit like the one you have and tested my HD plex 250W, everything is fine...I only get an error reading on the sata port but i assume that's because the sata connector on the 250w is different than standard. However the 24pin and cpu pin both gave no errors but still USB doesn't get power strange...

Do you also get an error reading on your sata port? on the 250 or 160?

Hey Stevo, so i manage to order dr power 2 unit like the one you have and tested my HD plex 250W, everything is fine...I only get an error reading on the sata port but i assume that's because the sata connector on the 250w is different than standard. However the 24pin and cpu pin both gave no errors but still USB doesn't get power strange...

Do you also get an error reading on your sata port? on the 250 or 160?

Yes, because it doesn't have all the pins hooked up from what I recall when I compared to a full ATX SATA power connector. I think only the 5V is used anyway.

That is strange that the USB doesn't work though. But there are multiple 5V lines coming thru the 24-pin connector, it might be possible that one or more are open from the HD-Plex and maybe pass the power tester if they don't check individual lines, I'd still try that if you haven't as it may be possible the 5V is not bussed together at the mobo. My Enermax supply ended up being an issue if the load was too light the 12/5/3.3 didn't come up in spec causing BIOS reboots for unstable power but that was an older 625W PSU long since discontinued for that reason on newer CPU low power states. There was nothing coming out when I shorted the 15/16 and checked by hand.

Last edited:
Yes, because it doesn't have all the pins hooked up from what I recall when I compared to a full ATX SATA power connector. I think only the 5V is used anyway.

That is strange that the USB doesn't work though. But there are multiple 5V lines coming thru the 24-pin connector, it might be possible that one or more are open from the HD-Plex and maybe pass the power tester if they don't check individual lines, I'd still try that if you haven't as it may be possible the 5V is not bussed together at the mobo. My Enermax supply ended up being an issue if the load was too light the 12/5/3.3 didn't come up in spec causing BIOS reboots for unstable power but that was an older 625W PSU long since discontinued for that reason on newer CPU low power states. There was nothing coming out when I shorted the 15/16 and checked by hand.

Thanks for the reply, what do you mean by "not bussed together at the mobo"? i also notice that when comparing the HD-Plex's 24pin connector with my Silverstone SFX's 24pin connectors i notice 2 things

1. the side that plugs into the PSU are the same except the HD-Plex's connector is reversed no big deal.

2. the side that plugs into the motherboard on the HD-Plex's its has full wires connected to it but on the SFX it has one slot empty according to atx pin diagram it's suppose to be empty in that pin, could this be the cause?

I will reverse my SFX's connector and try using it with the HD-Plex to see if it solves this no usb issue, I think its just not compatible with my motherboard cause of the connectors. Does anyone own a MSI Z97i AC or gaming AC motherboard and using a HD Plex psu experiencing no USB power?

I'm following this diagram

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

Thanks for the reply, what do you mean by "not bussed together at the mobo"? i also notice that when comparing the HD-Plex's 24pin connector with my Silverstone SFX's 24pin connectors i notice 2 things

1. the side that plugs into the PSU are the same except the HD-Plex's connector is reversed no big deal.

2. the side that plugs into the motherboard on the HD-Plex's its has full wires connected to it but on the SFX it has one slot empty according to atx pin diagram it's suppose to be empty in that pin, could this be the cause?

I will reverse my SFX's connector and try using it with the HD-Plex to see if it solves this no usb issue, I think its just not compatible with my motherboard cause of the connectors. Does anyone own a MSI Z97i AC or gaming AC motherboard and using a HD Plex psu experiencing no USB power?

I'm following this diagram

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

What I meant was that the various +5V wires going to the motherboard may not be all connected together at the motherboard, say only one or 2 go off to the USB section and another 3 elsewhere for noise purposes.

The empty pin was for the old -5V supply days left empty for backward compatibility of sorts I guess. HD may have re-used it on their PSU side to double up another pin like adding a ground or something, check what color and where it goes. Don't think it's the problem though, and wouldn't connect anything there. I have a 250 HD at home, I'll give it a look and maybe try hooking it up to one of mine this weekend. I've tested it but never hooked it up to a board, though I don't have that motherboard.

Last edited:
What I meant was that the various +5V wires going to the motherboard may not be all connected together at the motherboard, say only one or 2 go off to the USB section and another 3 elsewhere for noise purposes.

The empty pin was for the old -5V supply days left empty for backward compatibility of sorts I guess. HD may have re-used it on their PSU side to double up another pin like adding a ground or something, check what color and where it goes. Don't think it's the problem though, and wouldn't connect anything there. I have a 250 HD at home, I'll give it a look and maybe try hooking it up to one of mine this weekend. I've tested it but never hooked it up to a board, though I don't have that motherboard.

I also notice something else on the 250 HD connector while i was looking at the pin out diagram on HD's site

http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-250W-Hi-Fi-DC-ATX-Power-Supply-16V-24V-Wide-Range-Voltage-Input.html

one of the orange wire is stated as 3.3v sense and looking at a standard atx pin out it should be a 3.3v orange wire with a secondary 3.3v sense wire in the same pin

I don't anything about this stuff but just pointing these slight differences in wiring

Of my 150, 160 & 250W Hd plexes only the 150W has that wire(I'll double check if it's the 3.3V, but there is a sense wire), and it's also the only one that has all black wires as you can see in the pic above.

Honestly, if you really want to push this segment of cases, you should work on getting quality high power passive bricks with non proprietary connectors out. I feel this is the single biggest reason this form factor isn't as popular as cases with internal PSU's.

What we NEED is a passive external 300w power brick with a single 12v rail going to a standardized receptacle. With 300w you have enough for a good 35-65w intel CPU and enough headroom for any GPU with either a 1x 8pin or 2x 6pin power connectors, like the GTX970.

Then package that brick with the pico psu and passthrough's on the pico psu for the GPU power connectors so the 12v rail isn't limited by the pico psu circuitry and can feed straight into the GPU power connectors. And get that package price down to a reasonable level (under $150).

Once you have THAT, then a whole range of cases built for gaming become viable that currently are difficult for the average user to get behind.

Well to be fair, this case isn't marketed towards 'gamers'. From what I can tell, this case focuses on size and aesthetics over raw power.

Anyway, we do have the option of a Dell 330W power brick with a 250W HDplex DC board, which can support i7s and 970s. But I agree that it is rather niche at the moment.

I also notice something else on the 250 HD connector while i was looking at the pin out diagram on HD's site

http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-250W-Hi-Fi-DC-ATX-Power-Supply-16V-24V-Wide-Range-Voltage-Input.html

one of the orange wire is stated as 3.3v sense and looking at a standard atx pin out it should be a 3.3v orange wire with a secondary 3.3v sense wire in the same pin

I don't anything about this stuff but just pointing these slight differences in wiring

Checked both ends of both 24-Pin cables and neither is missing any pins, so it's possible there's a connection. I'd just get back to HD about this.

So, disappointingly my hdplex psu failed, im really disappointed I thought they would have been better quality than this, I've only had it for a few weeks, though I suspect the completely crushed box it got delivered in didn't help.

Anyway I'm going to cut my losses and go with the z3 atx 200 from pico box

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...C-ATX-power-supply-with/211500_729581097.html

This way I get to clean up some wires and have more power to boot! and its only 31 USD inc shipping.

The only problem is that i need to find a connector that converts the 7.4mm*5.0mm on my hp 230w brick to the 5.5mm * 2.5mm that the z3 supports, If anyone can help me find one that would be great.

So, disappointingly my hdplex psu failed, im really disappointed I thought they would have been better quality than this, I've only had it for a few weeks, though I suspect the completely crushed box it got delivered in didn't help.

Anyway I'm going to cut my losses and go with the z3 atx 200 from pico box

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...C-ATX-power-supply-with/211500_729581097.html

This way I get to clean up some wires and have more power to boot! and its only 31 USD inc shipping.

The only problem is that i need to find a connector that converts the 7.4mm*5.0mm on my hp 230w brick to the 5.5mm * 2.5mm that the z3 supports, If anyone can help me find one that would be great.

Sounds like maybe it did get damaged, been using mine for months without issue. Anyway, I got one of these off eBay when I was using a Z3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BiXPower-X75-Power-Connector-7-4-x-5-08mm-Female-Jack-to-5-5-x-2-5mm-Male-Plug-/261594877031?pt=Laptop_Adapters_Chargers&hash=item3ce8450c67

If you're in the US, I still have the used Z3 plus an unused one(but missing 5.5mm jack, broke when I tried to mount it then altered the other one to relieve stress and trimmed to desired length) and the adapter cable, everything in pic call it $30 shipped. These things run hot as hell though. Think I can rob a connector off an unused HD-plex cable and take some shots on the power tester

WP_20141110_001_zps1a95549a.jpg

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I think this would be worth checking out if you needed more wattage:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/X3-A...X-Power-Supply-PICO-DC-DC-PSU/1886380567.html

Thanks, but I dont really need more wattage, it was just a bonus I'd get from moving to the z3 really.

Sounds like maybe it did get damaged, been using mine for months without issue. Anyway, I got one of these off eBay when I was using a Z3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BiXPower-X75-Power-Connector-7-4-x-5-08mm-Female-Jack-to-5-5-x-2-5mm-Male-Plug-/261594877031?pt=Laptop_Adapters_Chargers&hash=item3ce8450c67

If you're in the US, I still have the used Z3 plus an unused one(but missing 5.5mm jack, broke when I tried to mount it then altered the other one to relieve stress and trimmed to desired length) and the adapter cable, everything in pic call it $30 shipped. These things run hot as hell though. Think I can rob a connector off an unused HD-plex cable and take some shots on the power tester

Hmm, I live in New Zealand so shipping would be too expensive I think, but thanks for the link, that's the connector I was looking for.

When you say the z3 runs hot, how hot are we talking? Because I have both fans installed on my l1 so it is pretty much going to be directly in front of 1 of my noctua fans, and I dont have the noise adapters on either.

Hmm, I live in New Zealand so shipping would be too expensive I think, but thanks for the link, that's the connector I was looking for.

When you say the z3 runs hot, how hot are we talking? Because I have both fans installed on my l1 so it is pretty much going to be directly in front of 1 of my noctua fans, and I dont have the noise adapters on either.

I've also seen a straight connector adapter with no cable in between posted in a thread from aliexpress or dealextreme maybe (one of the Chinese sites) but I couldn't find it. I saw that after I got my cable, but I think it was lots of 5 IIRC. Most of the ones you see go the wrong way.

The Z3 runs almost burn your finger hot but YMMV, being next to a fan would be good.

Edit: Found it!

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-PCS-7-4-5-0mm-to-5-5-2-5-Laptop-DC-Power-Charger-Adapter/2015663514.html

Any thoughts on the possibility of a low profile GTX 960? It seems to only draw 35 watts more than a GTX 750. Not sure what else would determine the possibility of this.

What limits how small the graphics card board can be?

(maybe I should make a separate thread about this, might also be relevant for people with other sff cases)

I also wanted to post some pictures of my own L2 build, but never got around to it -- wanted to add some fans before I did, but never got around to it. Will do it soon :)

My plan is to perhaps add a slim 80mm PWM fan and connect it to the graphics card instead of the original graphics card fan. I think the Zotac low profile GTX 750 fan is a way too noisy at idle.

Any thoughts on the possibility of a low profile GTX 960? It seems to only draw 35 watts more than a GTX 750. Not sure what else would determine the possibility of this.

(maybe I should make a separate thread about this, might also be relevant for people with other sff cases)

I also wanted to post some pictures of my own L2 build, but never got around to it -- wanted to add some fans before I did, but never got around to it. Will do it soon :)

My plan is to perhaps add a slim 80mm PWM fan and connect it to the graphics card instead of the original graphics card fan. I think the Zotac low profile GTX 750 fan is a way too noisy at idle.

I have the Galaxy version of the Zotac and the fan looks identical and also noisy, replaced it with a different VGA fan(and blade profile) but it has difficulty starting at the stock start voltage("40% assume that's 5V) for the stock fan, had to use Nvidia Inspector software to tune the fan start voltage to 50% but it's silent now.

EDIT: Power to the GPU thru the PCIE connector is limited to 75W, don't know what PSU you're using but you would need to make a separate PCI power connector.

Last edited:

Many factors, mainly the size and number of the main components, so processor, VRM, capacitors and so on. If a card can be cooled with a low profile cooler is determined by the thermal output, though.

You may want to make a new thread if you are really interested in the subject matter.

Does anyone know if this card will fit in the L1? It is a little wider than the single slot, but the case also extends a little bit past that as well.

Does anyone know if this card will fit in the L1? It is a little wider than the single slot, but the case also extends a little bit past that as well.

From the back of my wifi x1 card pci bracket to the case is roughly 5mm, hard to tell from the pic, possibly if the cowling was taken off. You need to get a thickness measurement on the card, needs to be about 22m(a touch more maybe) or less.

Over here it says your card is 27mm in height but there's a maximum of 20mm available as you can see on below potato picture I just took. It's the Sapphire 7750 LP on a Gigabyte Z97N Gaming 5 in a Lone L1 (just to be sure as this is the thread on the L2).

WXja1KH.jpg

I have the Galaxy version of the Zotac and the fan looks identical and also noisy, replaced it with a different VGA fan(and blade profile) but it has difficulty starting at the stock start voltage("40% assume that's 5V) for the stock fan, had to use Nvidia Inspector software to tune the fan start voltage to 50% but it's silent now.

EDIT: Power to the GPU thru the PCIE connector is limited to 75W, don't know what PSU you're using but you would need to make a separate PCI power connector.

What fan did you replace it with?

The heatsink on the GTX750 is like 0.7cm too tall to fit the slim 80mm, lol. I think I might have to bust out the dremel...

What fan did you replace it with?

The heatsink on the GTX750 is like 0.7cm too tall to fit the slim 80mm, lol. I think I might have to bust out the dremel...

I think it's this one(not the same seller), has a PowerCool sticker on it, the blade profile and current draw look right. I was trying to find a cooler from a Quadro K600 which looks like it'll fit, but gave up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-VGA-Video-Card-Heatsink-Cooler-Cooling-Fan-47mm-2pin-Hole-to-Hole-39mm-Black-/121080906318

Interesting... one 80mm fan support and back to one PCIe slot (although there is space for a two slot card).

Are there any vents on the bottom for intake?

What's the most powerful GPU one could fit in this thing? I see a handful of mentions about a Galax 750ti low profile card, but can't seem to find it in any USA retailers.

Back