Lone Industries L2: Dual slot version of L1 anyone?

This might be a silly question but did you end getting rid of all the "blemished" cases?

Yes, the powder coater actually ended up refinishing the two parts for me. I am working to get the next batch done as soon as possible, but want am still working to see if I can have some anodized.

Roughly how much better is the cooling with a vent? I'm wondering because I prefer the aesthetic of a clean side panel.
I've done a cardboard mockup of the L2 - it's lying on its side as I have no way to hold the motherboard upright.

System: i5 4690/Asus Z97I-PLUS/Scythe Big Shuriken Rev 2b

Cooler is with supplied fan, running on a quiet fan profile. No graphics card, no other fans.

Running two threads of Prime95:
A solid side panel has temperatures ~60C and a higher RPM fan / more fan noise due to the enclosed space

A 120mm circular cutout positioned over the cooler fan has temperatures ~50C and noticeably quieter fan

I didn't note fan RPMs sorry - it was very much a "is this quieter?" test for my own interest. But the change was conclusive enough for me.

I've done a cardboard mockup of the L2 - it's lying on its side as I have no way to hold the motherboard upright.

System: i5 4690/Asus Z97I-PLUS/Scythe Big Shuriken Rev 2b

Cooler is with supplied fan, running on a quiet fan profile. No graphics card, no other fans.

Running two threads of Prime95:
A solid side panel has temperatures ~60C and a higher RPM fan / more fan noise due to the enclosed space

A 120mm circular cutout positioned over the cooler fan has temperatures ~50C and noticeably quieter fan

I didn't note fan RPMs sorry - it was very much a "is this quieter?" test for my own interest. But the change was conclusive enough for me.

Ok, thanks for the info. Seems like vented is probably worth it then.

Is there anyone else that would prefer an anodized finish over powder coat, and would be willing to pay extra for it?

Ok, thanks for the info. Seems like vented is probably worth it then.

If you'd prefer a non-vented side, I'd highly recommend getting both vented and non-vented. It's only $10 CAD extra. This is $15 cheaper than the last batch, where it cost $25 extra for a vented side panel (non-vented was standard). At least then you'll have the option.

Is there anyone else that would prefer an anodized finish over powder coat, and would be willing to pay extra for it?

If you'd prefer a non-vented side, I'd highly recommend getting both vented and non-vented. It's only $10 CAD extra. This is $15 cheaper than the last batch, where it cost $25 extra for a vented side panel (non-vented was standard). At least then you'll have the option.

I'm actually probably going to laser cut my own clear acrylic side panel :D

Pictures of anodized vs powder would be great!

I'm actually probably going to laser cut my own clear acrylic side panel :D

Pictures of anodized vs powder would be great!

That works! Just make sure you use 2 mm thick acrylic or thicker.

I just have small anodized samples right now. Should have an anodized case part by the end of the week.

I am in the process of testing the 750Ti low profile with my setup. If it is okay, then I will order the L2 next week.

Do you have enough people ordering yet to start production, or is it more likely that we wait another 1-2 months?

for anyone with a Galaxy 750 Ti LP - i just removed the galaxy sticker plate off the heatsink cover of the card and gave the bare black metal a good clean with some alco wipes to get the glue off.

appears to have had some effect on my temps in a positive way (seem to be 3-4deg lower than with sticker on) - that and it looks much nicer without it on, so clean and sleek.

just interest for everyone here.

I am in the process of testing the 750Ti low profile with my setup. If it is okay, then I will order the L2 next week.

Do you have enough people ordering yet to start production, or is it more likely that we wait another 1-2 months?

I have enough pre-orders to start production. I'm planning to start production no later than the end of September, but possibly sooner. If everything goes as planned I would hope to start shipping sometime in November.

for anyone with a Galaxy 750 Ti LP - i just removed the galaxy sticker plate off the heatsink cover of the card and gave the bare black metal a good clean with some alco wipes to get the glue off.

appears to have had some effect on my temps in a positive way (seem to be 3-4deg lower than with sticker on) - that and it looks much nicer without it on, so clean and sleek.

just interest for everyone here.

That's interesting, thanks for the info. How about a picture! :)

I have enough pre-orders to start production. I'm planning to start production no later than the end of September, but possibly sooner. If everything goes as planned I would hope to start shipping sometime in November.

That's interesting, thanks for the info. How about a picture! :)

ill look at getting some pictures up in the next couple of days!

Ya! I wouldn't mind doing another colour or two also. Haven't decided.

If everything goes as planned, the parts will have a brushed finish. I may have a few raw/unfinished so I can do a few bead blasted cases for those willing to pay extra. For those wanting to spend even more, hard anodizing is another potential custom option. I'll have to test these options out myself before actually offering them though.

I did get my bead blasted black anodized part, and it looks pretty cool. It actually looks very similar to matte black powder coat... at least at arms length.

If anyone is interested in a solid/non-vented side panel for the L2, please let me know ASAP as I am going to be submitting my L2 order to manufacturing either today or tomorrow.

Having a hard time rendering a brushed finish. Just doesn't look realistic to me. Default settings make it look glossy and coarse/rough, whereas I am specifying a matte, fine brushed/satin finish. Also trying to decide on direction of grain. This one has the grain on the top matching/connecting with the side panels.

https://flic.kr/p/pmgCcs

Hey sorry for the kind of off topic posts, I recently had my card RMA'd again and galaxy kept my low profile brackets. They were the ones from Galaxy that were upside down in the orientation I needed. So for those who have the Galaxy what brackets did you use and if you had links that'd be greatly appreciated.

Hey sorry for the kind of off topic posts, I recently had my card RMA'd again and galaxy kept my low profile brackets. They were the ones from Galaxy that were upside down in the orientation I needed. So for those who have the Galaxy what brackets did you use and if you had links that'd be greatly appreciated.

I got some from off ebay, think this is the place not 100% but price looks right from what I recall
http://m.ebay.com/itm/171342056345?nav=SEARCH

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've been a bit stressed out about how to best meet everyone's wants with the next batch of L2 cases. Large vent, small vent, no vent. I've tried to want to do the brushed finish, but just don't feel good about it. I'd be more than happy to get others feedback, because I certainly don't know everything, and can use all the help I can get. After much thought, here's what I'm currently thinking:

- Powder coat the cases, instead of a brushed finish. This gives people a nice smooth, consistent finish, similar to a bead blasting, at an affordable price.

- Leave a few cases unfinished so that I can offer bead blasted, (hard?) anodized cases to those who want something special, and are willing to pay extra for it.

- Make the large vent the default on the L2, but offer a solid panel for those who don't like vents on the side.

Really what I want is to find out what the best default side panel is for the L2. All have their use, but I can provide the best value for the dollar if I make what everyone wants the default.

Last edited:
I thought I'd give my opinion since I have bought both an L1 and a L2 case and I don't want to see you stress. The concept of the case to me is that it is supposed to be a nondescript HTPC or desktop computer. That is why the case is simply a square with a black finish and a power button on the rear. This allows it to completely blend into an entertainment unit or desk.

As to the points you are debating here is my take:

-Cost should be one of the main deciding factors when determining the finish of the case. The quality of the powder coat was great on both the L1 and L2, so if that is the cheaper option as opposed to the brushed look then don't fix what ain't broken.

-The Large Vent debate. I see this as form over aesthetics. If people want the case to be more aesthetically pleasing they should spend extra for a non vented panel. Heat dissipation is paramount in a compact case.

Lastly If I were you I would offer two options: powder coat or bare aluminum. This way buyers who want a more aesthetically pleasing case can then finish the bare case however they see fit.

Thanks for your comments! I do tend to find myself trying to fix things that aren't broken sometimes.

I have the large vent side panel as the default again, with an extra sold side panel as an option.

The powder coat vs anodizing is a challenging one for me. There's both pros and cons to each. Anodizing may be a little more expensive, but it does have a lower minimum fee which better suits my low volume needs, and gives me more flexibility (maybe that's a bad thing though). Maybe I should just do both. It does complicate things a little, and I'd have to email everyone who's ordered and have them confirm their choice.

I noticed you added the option for an unfinished case for 100 cad, what does it look like? are there any disadvantages of having an unfinished case apart from the looks?

I noticed you added the option for an unfinished case for 100 cad, what does it look like? are there any disadvantages of having an unfinished case apart from the looks?

There's no major disadvantages that I'm aware of aside from looks, but it would likely be mill finish aluminum, and wouldn't look good. It really should be finished in some way to get the appearance you'd like, and to protect the aluminum.

EDIT: This option will probably be removed once production starts, as it isn't popular. Are you looking at this option mainly because of the lower price? I'd be happy to give discounts to people who will post reviews online, and help get the word out.

Last edited:
I have decided to go ahead and cancel the L2 production due to insufficient pre-orders and interest. I regret not being able to supply a product to those few who have pre-ordered.

I was thinking I'd just go ahead despite the lack of pre-orders and interest, but I've come to the conclusion that this probably isn't wise. I've had stock of L1 cases for nearly a year now, and there's just very little point in having more slow moving product.

Thank you to those who have purchased my cases in the past, and all of you that have expressed an interest in my simple designs!

Wise decision, I can imagine it was a hard one to make.

Does this mean that you'll be taking a break from case designing/selling?

That's too bad, can't believe there's not more demand, I was almost thinking of adding a raw one to the herd(probably strip my L1 at some point for a fanless build). Brickophobia maybe? You'd think there'd be a lot less especially after all the coil whining and fan bitching & moaning over in the Silverstone 450 and 600 threads. Anytime I need a laugh, pure hilarity over there scouring the earth for replacement fans etc, meanwhile my completely silent brick lurks beneath my desk.

I have decided to go ahead and cancel the L2 production due to insufficient pre-orders and interest. I regret not being able to supply a product to those few who have pre-ordered.

I was thinking I'd just go ahead despite the lack of pre-orders and interest, but I've come to the conclusion that this probably isn't wise. I've had stock of L1 cases for nearly a year now, and there's just very little point in having more slow moving product.

Thank you to those who have purchased my cases in the past, and all of you that have expressed an interest in my simple designs!

Thank you for my L2 case! I appreciate the amount of time and dedication you poured into this project. I also appreciate that you actually cared to listen in the L1 thread to make a new model with a double width PCIE slot. I hope any future products you decide to pursue bring you success.

Wise decision, I can imagine it was a hard one to make.

Does this mean that you'll be taking a break from case designing/selling?

Ya, for now anyway. I still have other ideas I wouldn't mind exploring at some point.

That's too bad, can't believe there's not more demand, I was almost thinking of adding a raw one to the herd(probably strip my L1 at some point for a fanless build). Brickophobia maybe? You'd think there'd be a lot less especially after all the coil whining and fan bitching & moaning over in the Silverstone 450 and 600 threads. Anytime I need a laugh, pure hilarity over there scouring the earth for replacement fans etc, meanwhile my completely silent brick lurks beneath my desk.

Haha... I'm sure part of it is brickophobia. I remember being totally against bricks at one point, but then I saw the light. ;) I still don't like the larger bricks, but like you say, once it's hidden on the floor somewhere you never think about it again, and your computer is silent (assuming you have no more spiny disks left). :)

Thank you for my L2 case! I appreciate the amount of time and dedication you poured into this project. I also appreciate that you actually cared to listen in the L1 thread to make a new model with a double width PCIE slot. I hope any future products you decide to pursue bring you success.

You're very welcome. I had fun doing it, and enjoyed seeing them sent all over the world. :)

nooooooooo, im going to have to purchase an l1 now and replace my gtx 750 ti's cooler with a single slot one from a gt430 or something.

I'm sorry to hear that. I've been holding off as it's not been clear yet exactly what I'd be buying - the colour, the finish, the size of the vent etc. I don't feel comfortable ordering until I know :)

J, this was a very good run considering your carry over lessons from L1 and L2(early stages) and although I had many hiccups with payments, I was eager to get onboard for this latest production run but haven't had the time to respond nor collect myself and my thoughts due to aloting time for a friends wedding.

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors and I don't mean to sound like this will be your last as it certainly won't.

Do pass on PM if you're investing on another project, I'd be more than interested in checking them out and if its possible, I'll snag one!

Even though the discussion has passed into the wind, I'd like to offer my take on the color/finish issue:
When I was involved in the Compact Splash project, we had the option of choosing between 3 colors(a 4th if you consider no color at all and bare EG steel) I opted for an unfinished case since I wanted a truly unique painted finish but when you have 2 or more colors to choose from, people will naturally end up buying more than one and the ones left over would also be bought as a natural order of things come to pass.

Oh yeah J, would you yet have some stock of L1 left over? and how many? I'll see if I can promote your case down my end with my clients :)

nooooooooo, im going to have to purchase an l1 now and replace my gtx 750 ti's cooler with a single slot one from a gt430 or something.

Let me know if that works. :)

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=14-127-541

This is one of the few cards with a cooler with the rectangular screw arrangement that the Galaxy 750 ti uses that I've seen. It might work.

I'd still like to try machining a custom heatsink.

Oh yeah J, would you yet have some stock of L1 left over? and how many? I'll see if I can promote your case down my end with my clients :)

Thanks for your comments. I only have a few L1 cases left.

I'm sorry to hear that. I've been holding off as it's not been clear yet exactly what I'd be buying - the colour, the finish, the size of the vent etc. I don't feel comfortable ordering until I know :)

Ya, I was all over the place trying to figure out what to do. Part of the problem was lack of communication from my manufacturer. Timing wasn't right to try to figure out whether anodizing would work.

A custom heatsink for the 750 ti would be cool. Definitely out of my range though.

You're welcome buddy! How many, to be exact?

Literally only a few (2-3).

A custom heatsink for the 750 ti would be cool. Definitely out of my range though.

If I could get my hands on CAD drawings, or a physical 750 Ti low profile heatsink I'd at least like to try to design something and get a quote to see how much machining would cost. With CPU sockets tending to be moved away from the PCIe slot now, I wonder if the heat sink could be designed to wrap around the back of the PCB. Or maybe have a heat pipe wrap around somewhere?

Now one less - for sure ;-)

Thank you!

Back