Lone Industries L2: Dual slot version of L1 anyone?

The current 240W Dell PA-9E is 20 x 10 x 2.5cm and weighs 850g. The 3rd party ones made by Flextronics or Delta are about the same size, which bodes well.

Thank you. So 240W (19V) with similar volume as the 150W 12V AC-DC adapter. Considering you could probably go with something less powerful,. like in the 150W range, you may be able to find an even smaller adapter.

Thanks for helping! But i think i need something a bit higher than 150w, I'll probably be using a i3/i5 with GTX 750 ti on the Pico psu.

Got a few new paint samples yesterday. I was hoping to do charcoal, but after seeing a couple in person, I've decided against it. I was really happy to receive a sample for a mystery black that I've been trying to locate (the black touching the white sample)! It could almost be considered a charcoal black, if there's such a thing. The black with the white sticker is the one I used on the last batch of L2, and L1 cases.

I started accepting pre-orders again for the L2. Out of 24 people on my waiting list, 2 have ordered so far.

Here's the samples mounted on my paint chip holder! ;)

https://flic.kr/p/oUt9Lm

Those shades look amazing! :) J...sad to see the charcoal move out of the options.

On a side note, how do you like the noctua redux fans? They better than the vanilla noctua's? :)

I would think these should go quick again, this case fills a niche nobody is really close to. I'm not even tempted a bit by anything else I've seen lately in the way of all these new cases on this forum.

How about a raw aluminum clearcoat version? Or would that require more surface treatment at least externally? I remember 1 or 2 asked for that in the L1 thread.

On a side note, how do you like the noctua redux fans? They better than the vanilla noctua's? :)

I really like them. As far as I know, the redux fans are the same as the non-redux. Just different color, no extras, and cheaper price.

I would think these should go quick again, this case fills a niche nobody is really close to. I'm not even tempted a bit by anything else I've seen lately in the way of all these new cases on this forum.

How about a raw aluminum clearcoat version? Or would that require more surface treatment at least externally? I remember 1 or 2 asked for that in the L1 thread.

Clear powder coat is possible. Not sure how it'd look, or how popular it'd be. Special precautions would have to be taken for sure. Otherwise you could have unsightly scratches, or water/oil stains.

I have some clear and black anodized effect powder coat samples coming which might be cool, or completely lame. :) That's one thing I don't like about powdering coating... there's way too many color choices, from way too many different companies. I should just quit resisting and anodize my parts.

Are there any plans about better mounting solution for HD-Plex 250W DC board?

I've only given it a little thought. Since using the HDPLEX 250W prevents mounting 2.5 inch drives, it hasn't been a high priority for me. I only know of one customer using the HDPLEX 250W with M.2 storage. There could be more people using it. The HDPLEX 160W/250W converters appear to come mounted on a removable plastic mounting plate. You should be able to mount the plate using double sided tape, and still be able to remove the converter from the plate by unscrewing the mounting screws?

If it's a serious issue for people, and there's enough interest, I could look into making a bracket. The HDPLEX 160W would probably need a different bracket than the HDPLEX 250W.

https://flic.kr/p/oHTZLX

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
HD Plex 160W is much smaller than the 250W...I have mine attached using thermal double sided tape...

What do people think about me switching to an anodized finish? If I do it, the finish of the metal itself won't be Apple quality, but it won't be bad either. I've tried glass bead blasting, and I don't think it's really an option. There would likely be more sharp edges, but I'd try to minimize that. If I do it, the finish would be matte/low gloss, and would be a hard anodizing which should be more durable than a powder coat finish. Also, going with anodizing would allow me to offer 3-4 color choices.

I guess that's the key.

I think it could potentially look better. I may just have to wait until I get actual samples in hand before making any decisions.

I always wanted a bare aluminum or anodized one. I saw one you sold on another forum I think he called it 'the delorean' (I'm pretty sure that was one of a kind). If you do another run I'll probably be on board.

I always wanted a bare aluminum or anodized one. I saw one you sold on another forum I think he called it 'the delorean' (I'm pretty sure that was one of a kind). If you do another run I'll probably be on board.

Haha... ya, he modified an original L1 just slightly. :)

Roughly how much better is the cooling with a vent? I'm wondering because I prefer the aesthetic of a clean side panel.

Roughly how much better is the cooling with a vent? I'm wondering because I prefer the aesthetic of a clean side panel.

These are new, untested designs, so it's hard to provide even a rough estimate at the moment.

Half the L2 cases sold did not have a vented side panel, so you're not alone. The other half have both.

How does the cpu cooler get air in the non vented panel? The top fans are exhaust (right?) so I can only imagine air is taken from the bottom of the case alongside the gpu.

How does the cpu cooler get air in the non vented panel? The top fans are exhaust (right?) so I can only imagine air is taken from the bottom of the case alongside the gpu.

You can run the top fans in negative or positive pressure, but I designed the case with negative pressure in mind. With a non-vented side panel, a GPU will block the vent to some degree. Whether this works for you depends on your configuration. Haven't seen many (any) people do it, but you could also run a single 80 mm fan up top which will also pull some air in through the vacant 80 mm vent.

I'm hoping I'll be able to offer extra non-vented side panels for around $10 CAD for those who want to try both.

Alright I need this. Been looking for a smaller mitx case with decent low-profile gpu support for a linux box next to my Ncase M1. What's the eta on the pre-order? End this mond I'll be able to afford one, or is the pre order done by then?

Alright I need this. Been looking for a smaller mitx case with decent low-profile gpu support for a linux box next to my Ncase M1. What's the eta on the pre-order? End this mond I'll be able to afford one, or is the pre order done by then?

You'll only be charged when your order is ready to ship, so you can order any time as long as they're not sold out. Expected ship date is late October to beginning of November.

Is it possible to strengthen some spot and add a Kensington lock socket?

It may be possible. Depends on if the slot design can be freely used, and if the metal backing is absolutely required for added strength or not.

The slot details are freely available: Kensington Security Slot

I couldn't find any license information.

Thank you for the link. I sent them an email to inquire as to whether there's any licensing fees, or usage requirements, etc.

UPDATE: The Kensington slot is free to use without a license or fees. The locks are designed to be used with a wall thickness of 2.5-4.0 mm. They may not work too well with the L2 unless I add a double layer of metal to increase the thickness.

Last edited:
Thank you for the link. I sent them an email to inquire as to whether there's any licensing fees, or usage requirements, etc.

UPDATE: The Kensington slot is free to use without a license or fees. The locks are designed to be used with a wall thickness of 2.5-4.0 mm. They may not work too well with the L2 unless I add a double layer of metal to increase the thickness.

Thanks for you interest. I guess this is not very popular feature. It even didn't make it in NCase M1, despite of Lian Li being a case manufacturer and possibly have everything about it.
But I think the smaller a case gets, feature like that will be more needed.

So, I just preordered an l2 case for a build i'm preparing, and I figured I would use this
http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-160W-DC-ATX-Power-Supply-16V-24V-Wide-Range-Voltage-Input.html

or this

http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-250W-Hi-Fi-DC-ATX-Power-Supply-16V-24V-Wide-Range-Voltage-Input.html

I'm planning on using a 65w i5/7 and a gtx 750 ti, so is the 160w hdplex enough or should I go for the 250w?

Also they dont tell you how much shipping costs, does anyone know how much hdplex charges for shipping? I live in New Zealand and dont really want to get stung with a ridiculous price I didnt know about, I guess I'll throw them an email and see.

I'm planning on using a 65w i5/7 and a gtx 750 ti, so is the 160w hdplex enough or should I go for the 250w?
Have a look at this thread on the HD-Plex forum. My take-away is the 160W is more than enough, as HD-Plex is conservative with the power rating.

Which GTX 750 Ti are you planning to use?

Also they dont tell you how much shipping costs, does anyone know how much hdplex charges for shipping?
Shipping to the UK from their EU distribution centre was $7. I'd hope the cost would be similar to NZ. If you progress through the checkout they add on S&H - like many Asian websites the customer experience is on a par with U.S. websites 5-10 years ago.

So, I just preordered an l2 case for a build i'm preparing, and I figured I would use this
http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-160W-DC-ATX-Power-Supply-16V-24V-Wide-Range-Voltage-Input.html

or this

http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-250W-Hi-Fi-DC-ATX-Power-Supply-16V-24V-Wide-Range-Voltage-Input.html

Also they dont tell you how much shipping costs, does anyone know how much hdplex charges for shipping? I live in New Zealand and dont really want to get stung with a ridiculous price I didnt know about, I guess I'll throw them an email and see.

I'm running a i7 3770K with the Galaxy 750Ti in an L2, kill-a-watt at the wall is 35-38W idle, 167W running Prime95 plus Kombustor. open Hardware shows 130+ watts at the mobo/GPU and the GPU limits itself at 60W. Mobo can spike higher but under Prime95 running 65W or so. Using and HD Plex 160W, I've let the torture combo go over an hour without issue.

I'm running a i7 3770K with the Galaxy 750Ti in an L2, kill-a-watt at the wall is 35-38W idle, 167W running Prime95 plus Kombustor. open Hardware shows 130+ watts at the mobo/GPU and the GPU limits itself at 60W. Mobo can spike higher but under Prime95 running 65W or so. Using and HD Plex 160W, I've let the torture combo go over an hour without issue.
What AC-DC adapter do you use? The HD Plex one for 120W or a different one?

Have a look at this thread on the HD-Plex forum. My take-away is the 160W is more than enough, as HD-Plex is conservative with the power rating.

Which GTX 750 Ti are you planning to use?

Shipping to the UK from their EU distribution centre was $7. I'd hope the cost would be similar to NZ. If you progress through the checkout they add on S&H - like many Asian websites the customer experience is on a par with U.S. websites 5-10 years ago.

Ok, so after reading peoples replies and doing a bit of my own research I figured that the 160w will be more than enough for what I'm needing it for, I went through the checkout and the shipping was surprisingly reasonable, it was only 8 USD for 10-15 day shipping to NZ.

Im planning on using the gigabyte low profile version of the 750 ti as I've had more experience with gigabyte products than I have kfa/galaxy.

I've got a Dell/Delta 330W, it was about the same price as a 240w when I got it
Adapter efficiency does fall off significantly under 25% (down to 65% or so), so using the lowest rated adapter available has significant benefits if your computer idles a lot of the time.

Adapter efficiency does fall off significantly under 25% (down to 65% or so), so using the lowest rated adapter available has significant benefits if your computer idles a lot of the time.

I'm not too concerned about efficiency for as much as the setup burns, the issue when I got into it was how will high will the peak power dissipation go and possible future builds. Looking back now, a 240W would be all I'd ever need but it wasn't so clear at the time but they were the same price at the time so just maxed it out. Now that I've got a kill-a-watt unit and openHardware installed it's much easier to see that probably most people are over supplied. Also had bought the Hd plex 250w when I was collecting parts for L2.

Last edited:
Back