Lone Industries L2: Dual slot version of L1 anyone?

For some reason that happens at Frys quite a bit for me. The thermal pad is a double sided sticky, it was OK at first but I knocked the board loose dicking around inside and since then not much in the way of stickiness, but have some thicker spares. I want to somewhat sleeve the ATX cable so I'll be in there one more time.

The ATX spec says 12V +/- 5% so 11.4V/12.6V, right now max load it maybe goes down to 12.6V but normally something around 12.7-12.8V. I'm not worried about it though, it's high by 7-8% if it was 10% or more I'd be sending it back.

How does it compare to the pico box psu (200W) you have? Or does the pico box psu not have enough grunt to power the cpu + gpu?

How does it compare to the pico box psu (200W) you
have? Or does the pico box psu not have enough grunt to power the cpu + gpu?

I never tried the combo with the Z3 PSU, that thing ran unbelievably hot with just the mobo and TV tuner card. I mean seriously hot just about burn skin hot, no long contact probably would burn with CPU+GPU combo. The HD Plex is just slightly warm to the touch, you can touch and hold anything on it, no comparison in that regard.

Lone, here is some news that may make the next production run easier!

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-low-profile-gtx-750,27310.html

exciting times for all L1/L2 ownders and wannabe owners.

Might need an L3 ;)

10820_big.png

L2 can take it no worries - just need to find an appropriate bracket
Might as well take the one it comes with:
Tom's Hardware said:
The card comes with a standard width bracket installed, but it ships with a low-profile bracket as well. When using this bracket, you won't be sacrificing any ports

Might as well take the one it comes with:

sweet mother of god :D gigabyte does what galaxy was too mind-bendingly dumb to do, include a functioning LP bracket with an LP card.

itll be interesting to see how it stacks up next to the galaxy card - in performance, silence and tdp. will be a little gutted if it tops the galaxy card, even if the galaxy card looks nicer.

After a lot of thought I've decided to move in a different direction with my build. I'm not sure if it's appropriate to post in this thread but I thought this is where there might be the most interest. I have a black L2 for sale and I have two 80mm Noctua fans that I can included along with the build. If you're interested PM me and let me know. I can provide pictures as well.

What's really weird to me is it almost looks exactly like the Galaxy setup but with a different shroud and better connectivity. We shall see I suppose he he may have to give my sister my 750ti slim for the gigabyte 750ti version come august if it is good bc I definitely prefer those display options to the galaxy card.

What's really weird to me is it almost looks exactly like the Galaxy setup but with a different shroud and better connectivity. We shall see I suppose he he may have to give my sister my 750ti slim for the gigabyte 750ti version come august if it is good bc I definitely prefer those display options to the galaxy card.

Plastic BS shrouds aside, definitely better connectivity, kinda funny but in the one pic I posted from the Gigabyte website they left a screw out.

Last edited:
Since we're talking about Galaxy, where's the 750 Ti Razor?

Plastic BS shrouds aside, definitely better connectivity, kinda funny but in the one pic I posted from the Gigabyte website they left a screw out.

He he yea now that you mention it that is super funny, I wonder if the cooler is actually the same and if you could hypothetically swap the shroud peices lol.

Since we're talking about Galaxy, where's the 750 Ti Razor?

That is a good question only thing I dislike about it is that its not low profile :( if you make a single slot it should be lp as well..only makes sense that way.

That is a good question only thing I dislike about it is that its not low profile :( if you make a single slot it should be lp as well..only makes sense that way.

Single slot (not overlapping into the second slot) LP is quite difficult. The heatsink would be absolutely tiny. Even "single slot" low-profile 750 Ti's out there have their heatsinks going into the second expansion slot area (look at Galaxy's 750 Ti LP).

So it's basically single slot, full height with no heatsink overlap or single slot, half height with heatsink overlap.

Right now I feel like buying the new gigabyte card just to listen to it. Still have problems with loud noisy computers and that is almost the only thing that keeps me from the L2 right now (that and horrible personal economics).

Isn't there a page somewhere we can bully to make a review of all three cards lp 750ti?

I'ts a bit sad that no one has made a heatpipe cooler for LP cards yet (so far only re-using old designs). Could probably knock a degree or two off with just a single heatpipe.

Probably because the cost of the cooler and card bundled would be a little more expensive...?

The coolers have different layouts and sizes. If you take a close look, the Gigabyte cooler body almost winds up with PCB whereas the Gigabyte one ends 1-2cm earlier. Also the condenser are placed differently on almost all three.

Whats insanely weird is I think that the low profile 750ti is a Nvidia Reference setup, check all three of these cards (http://imgur.com/a/FakTG). They are the same cooler, just different shrouds lol.

The Gigabyte card is a bit longer than the other 2 though, and the fan appears to be maybe a 50mm with different blade profile with a significantly different shroud and maybe heat sink. Galaxy, and the KFA2 appear to be the exact same card except for graphics(right down to the non-standard fan connector). Zotac has slight differences in heat sink and very slight difference in shroud.

I just finished building my system.

Found the limits of the 160W HD-plex, about 30 min into 8 thread prime 95 + Kombustor GPU burn test = reboot :D

Running OCCT 8 thread + Kombustor now.

I had to go with a NH-L12 HSF (lower fan only and heat pipes vertical pointing up as that's the ONLY way I could keep the case fans)

Pictures will follow soon with specs

The Gigabyte card is a bit longer than the other 2 though, and the fan appears to be maybe a 50mm with different blade profile with a significantly different shroud and maybe heat sink. Galaxy, and the KFA2 appear to be the exact same card except for graphics(right down to the non-standard fan connector). Zotac has slight differences in heat sink and very slight difference in shroud.

Well that's due to KFA2 being the Euroasia arm of Galaxy :3, idk they all seem so similar XD I almost wanna buy them just to compare he he. (Fruitless waste of money much Lol)

Well that's due to KFA2 being the Euroasia arm of Galaxy :3, idk they all seem so similar XD I almost wanna buy them just to compare he he. (Fruitless waste of money much Lol)

Yeah, whatever the differences probably all built by the same place in China.

I just finished building my system.

Found the limits of the 160W HD-plex, about 30 min into 8 thread prime 95 + Kombustor GPU burn test = reboot :D

Running OCCT 8 thread + Kombustor now.

I had to go with a NH-L12 HSF (lower fan only and heat pipes vertical pointing up as that's the ONLY way I could keep the case fans)

Pictures will follow soon with specs

I think the longest I ran mine was 10 minutes or so, but even from the wall I was only at 166W, everything seemed stable and PSU was only warm. I think my 3770K is at the low end of the TDP distribution as it rarely goes over 60W sometimes spikes to low 70s for the cpu package running Prime95.

EDIT: I do get an occasional blip from the Nuvoton chip that monitors the onboard temps etc but it did that even in my Node with a regular PSU. While running Prime95, all of a sudden it will report a CPU package temp jump to something like 95C, while core temps are still in the 70Cs(where everything had previously been tracking), then when it cools down it'll report negative temps! So after cool down the package temp will be reported something like -59C. The chip only does it now and then running Prime95 and even occasionally it'll get a bit wacky while just normally running/idling causing the fans to needlessly spin up.

Last edited:
I think the longest I ran mine was 10 minutes or so, but even from the wall I was only at 166W, everything seemed stable and PSU was only warm. I think my 3770K is at the low end of the TDP distribution as it rarely goes over 60W sometimes spikes to low 70s for the cpu package running Prime95.

EDIT: I do get an occasional blip from the Nuvoton chip that monitors the onboard temps etc but it did that even in my Node with a regular PSU. While running Prime95, all of a sudden it will report a CPU package temp jump to something like 95C, while core temps are still in the 70Cs(where everything had previously been tracking), then when it cools down it'll report negative temps! So after cool down the package temp will be reported something like -59C. The chip only does it now and then running Prime95 and even occasionally it'll get a bit wacky while just normally running/idling causing the fans to needlessly spin up.

Yeah, I think it depends on the temp, I was able to run it today for approx 1 hour or so, then I left for an hour, and came back and it had rebooted.

I can run kombuster, and prime95 for many many many hours on their own without any issues though.

I'll try undervolting, I am running a xeon e3-1231 v3 though, which has an 80W TDP...with no GPU.

Temps are pretty good though.

FYI there is enough room between the cover and the NH-L12 to fit a slim fan...however I do not have way to mount a slim fan to the NH-L12 but I have a 100mm slim fan from sycthe which I will try to mount on to the cover it self.

Just let the Prime95+Kombustor run for an hour without incident. Took a screenshot, cores eventually danced around mid 80Cs a bit lower for GPU but I think it may have been power throttling hard to say. Surprised with just a CPU you are re-booting from the PSU, I'm running a minimum of 127W CPU+GPU at full load.

torture_zps02720be4.png

Just let the Prime95+Kombustor run for an hour without incident. Took a screenshot, cores eventually danced around mid 80Cs a bit lower for GPU but I think it may have been power throttling hard to say. Surprised with just a CPU you are re-booting from the PSU, I'm running a minimum of 127W CPU+GPU at full load

No its not just prime95 or kombuster, its Running both for extended period of time together. Although my temps dont get that high.

That's the hottest temps I've seen but it was really warm and humid here today.

That's the hottest temps I've seen but it was really warm and humid here today.

I live in a sub tropical climate XD it's always hot and humid here, even winter (as it is right now) can get up to 25-30C (77-86F)

I've ordered some heatsinks to put on the mofsets of the PSU see if that will help control the heat a bit off the PSU.

I live in a sub tropical climate XD it's always hot and humid here, even winter (as it is right now) can get up to 25-30C (77-86F)

I've ordered some heatsinks to put on the mofsets of the PSU see if that will help control the heat a bit off the PSU.

The GPU heats up the whole case as far as I can tell from a re-run, even the SSDs were a bit toasty. There is a definite temperature gradient at the front of the case from bottom(hotter) to top. Never had these temps before the GPU was added, though these torture tests are fairly unrealistic and in normal use don't see anywhere near those temps. Reversing the top fans would probably help if it was a real problem.

Whelp..it appears I've gotten another dud of a graphics card..Got my computer back together last monday, upon launching of BF4 the computer locksup and I have to do a manual restart. Figured might just be a small driver issue as it was new DLC and BF4 is buggy as shit..all the time lol. Update and proceed to encounter the same problem i had with my original GC Slim in that the card hangs upon boot, at the desktop, during gaming its really frustrating. I put the card into my friends PC that I've known to have been stable and the card does the exact same thing it does in mine. Really getting sick of this stuff, sent a support request to galaxy to see what they had to say, they'll hopefully get back to me tomorrow. Regardless I think at this point I'm probably gonna wait for the Gigabyte card to debut and pick it up as I like the connections better than that of the Galaxy.

So here is my build:

Xeon E3-1231 v3
Asrock Z97 ITX-AC
8GB ram
512GB Crucial MX100 SSD
1TB WD RED 2.5"
2x noctua 80mm pwm redux fans
noctua NH-L12 with lower fan
HD-plex 160W
GELID Silent Slim 12 120mm PWM PL on the side of the case on top of the NH-L12 it *just* fits

I had a scythe slim 100mm fan which is thinner than the Gelid but it was very noisy at load (PWM also)

Temps are VERY good even at full load, you can hear the fans going when the cpu is at full load, but other than that it's really quiet.

Some pictures (click for full size)

Last edited:
Hey guys, have you seen this guy's L1 build over at OCN?

http://www.overclock.net/t/1505888/build-log-brickless-lone-industries-l1

He fits a 750 Ti slim and an internal psu by using a riser card for the gpu!

Saw that, but he did have to hack up the back of the box for the DVI connector. Still waiting to see how he mounts the PSU, there's room but without a source for a low profile left-hand AC plug(the v2 M1 cord might work) the top to bottom room is pretty tight with fans, here's a supply with same dimensions as his I was looking at. In the end the extra noise and hassle wasn't worth it over brick+DCDC approach. He better add a couple of fans at the bottom, that case will get steamy in a torture test.

IMG_2543_zps500790b8.jpg

Last edited:
So here is my build:

Xeon E3-1231 v3
Asrock Z97 ITX-AC
8GB ram
512GB Crucial MX100 SSD
1TB WD RED 2.5"
2x noctua 80mm pwm redux fans
noctua NH-L12 with lower fan
HD-plex 160W
GELID Silent Slim 12 120mm PWM PL on the side of the case on top of the NH-L12 it *just* fits

I had a scythe slim 100mm fan which is thinner than the Gelid but it was very noisy at load (PWM also)

Temps are VERY good even at full load, you can hear the fans going when the cpu is at full load, but other than that it's really quiet.

Some pictures (click for full size)

I was considering the Noctua cooler for a awhile, good to see it works well in there even in the orientation they discourage. It's one of the only coolers that would work in the optimal orientation with my mobo though it would stick out over the VRM board a bit so I wasn't sure about fan interaction wouldn't be a problem now.

How's that fan held on?

Back