Lone Industries L2: Dual slot version of L1 anyone?

Any update on the powder coating situation? I just finished purchasing (almost) all my hardware to go in my L2, getting pretty excited. :D

What are most of us future L2 owners planning for internals? Right now I'm planning on the following hardware.

Intel Haswell i5 4670S (65w variant of 4670)
Noctua NH-L9i
ASRock Z97E-ITX
16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport RAM (low voltage version)
Galaxy GTX 750 Ti LP
PicopPSU 160-XT
(2) 80mm Noctua NF-R8 fans

I haven't decided on storage yet. Not sure if I want to try one of those fancy M.2 drives (they look really complicated) with a large HDD for storage, or try to grab a few medium sized 2.5" SSDs and run RAID0.

Also not totally committed to the 4670S. I know Intel also makes a few 45w i5 chips that Newegg doesn't seem to sell, but I figure that if the PicoPSU and the L2 can handle a 65w chip, I might as well use one? Can anyone comment if the tradeoff of performance for lower voltage/heat is worth it in this case? Also, should I keep the standard 84w CPUs in mind as well? I was running under the assumption I should just remove those from contest altogether due to the wattage of the PSU.

No update on the powder coating. I sent an email earlier in the week, but got no response. I will call next week for an update.

Your components look good. I'd always go for lower wattage components if I can, but that's just me. :) Noctua's new redux 80 mm fans would be nice to try, but they don't seem to be available yet. They even have a max 1200 rpm version:

http://noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=98&lng=en

Why the lead free solder? For the EU people or the longer dry time/rigidity?

I thought I'd try lead free mainly because of RoHS requirements in California.

I got a response from the powder coater. The wait would've been too long, so I've requested that the white be done right away.

My cardboard computer is waiting for the real case, lol.

http://imgur.com/IOqOAi3,pYTfs00

Intel G3420
Asrock h81m-ITX
80gb Intel x25-m g2
Zotac gtx 750, low profile
HD-PLEX 250w DC-ATX converter
Dell PA-9E 240w external power brick

It's pretty ghetto, but it does what it is supposed to: 140+ fps in CS:GO!

IOqOAi3.jpg

Intel G3420
Asrock h81m-ITX
80gb Intel x25-m g2

Haha, awesome! you should post that on the ghetto rigging thread
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=896218&highlight=ghetto

Last edited:
Can you get a couple pics of the HD psu I'm still on the ropes about getting one I would.like to see how big it is if its at all possible. Also creative use of the gpu box you should share that on zotacs Facebook page haha, imagine if manufacturers made their boxes to be used as temporary cases lol

I really can't wait for this to ship out. I have all my parts together and I'm eager to build!

Can you get a couple pics of the HD psu I'm still on the ropes about getting one I would.like to see how big it is if its at all possible. Also creative use of the gpu box you should share that on zotacs Facebook page haha, imagine if manufacturers made their boxes to be used as temporary cases lol

Can't really get good pics at the moment without untangling my ghetto box :p. I did try taking one picture, however. http://i.imgur.com/RAXXycP.jpg Not sure if it helps you.

Did you check out their own image gallery? http://www.hd-plex.com/product/250W.DC-ATX.Converter/en/fanlesspcgallery.html

I plan on mounting it where you would have the 2.5" drive normally, and then mount my SSD somewhere else (perhaps tape it to the side panel?)

Can't really get good pics at the moment without untangling my ghetto box :p. I did try taking one picture, however. http://i.imgur.com/RAXXycP.jpg Not sure if it helps you.

Did you check out their own image gallery? http://www.hd-plex.com/product/250W.DC-ATX.Converter/en/fanlesspcgallery.html

I plan on mounting it where you would have the 2.5" drive normally, and then mount my SSD somewhere else (perhaps tape it to the side panel?)

I like to get a visual other than what the manufacturer puts out, you get a better idea of size and how it would look in a real application that way. I'm hoping that once I get the L2 in I can get a better idea of the room I'm working with and go from there. Definitely considering the idea of placing it on top of the drive cage I just don't know how close it would bring it to the motherboard. Now did you pay $85 or $70 for it?

I paid $70, went with the option that says you own a case, they don't ask for verification...

I have a question for anyone who can help me out. I was interested in this case as I planned to use a gtx 750 ti along with this. The thing is, I don't know how much tdp from a cpu I can take. I was planning on getting the highest pico psu available which is the 160 xt with a comparable power supply. I don't know if a 65W TDP is my limit or should I go even lower. The build was going to look like this:

Case: L2 Lone industries
GPU: Galaxy GTX 750 Ti low profile
Motherboard: Gigabyte B85 (it has msata which I plan to use and it's cheap compared to the asrock z87)
Ram: 4 to 8 GB DDR3 1600/1333
Storage: SSD (msata/2.5, depending on what I carry over from an old computer, but msata is what I plan to migrate to eventually, no HDDs)
CPU: ? (Pentium/i5, the i5 is what I eventually plan to migrate to, but I'm looking at the pentium for now since it's cheap. Thing is it has a 54W TDP normally with the T series being 35 W, though those are hard to find and are more expensive)
Power Supply: PicoPSU 160 xt with 160 Watt adapter.
Extra: 2 to 3 fans

That's about it really. I'm stuck on the CPU and how much I can get away with in terms of TDP. There are probably individuals here who have built computers with this case and power supply limitations before so I wanted to get their experiences. I have a Kill a watt which I used to measure my total load from my current computer which was pulling 100 Watts at load. This contains a radeon hd 7750 with a a4-3400 65 W TDP processor.

What gets me worried is in the specifications they specify a max load of 12v with 8a. That's not much to go on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also my apologies for any spelling mistakes or abbreviations that anyone may not recognize. Please let me know and I will correct the mistakes/explain the abbreviations. Thank you.

I really can't wait for this to ship out. I have all my parts together and I'm eager to build!

I'm sorry for the delay, and getting a bit impatient myself. I'm using a different powder coater than the one I used last, but still thought I'd have the parts two weeks ago. I'm not impressed with their communication skills. I asked for an ETA today and they called back and said they won't have the matte white powder until the end of this week (why didn't they tell me this a week ago!?). I then asked to have the matte black parts shipped separately (assuming they've been done for awhile now), and they said they will be doing them today and will be ready to ship tomorrow. Pretty frustrating.

So, it looks like I should be able to start shipping black cases by the end of this week. The white cases should start shipping a week later.

I have a question for anyone who can help me out. I was interested in this case as I planned to use a gtx 750 ti along with this. The thing is, I don't know how much tdp from a cpu I can take. I was planning on getting the highest pico psu available which is the 160 xt with a comparable power supply. I don't know if a 65W TDP is my limit or should I go even lower. The build was going to look like this:

All I know is there's guys already running the HD 7750 LP setup with 65W TDP processors and PicoPSU-160-XT in the L1. Your new build should use less power, but there's no guarantee until you get the parts and test it.

I Might get one if these questions are answered.

1) will an evga gtx 760 fit?

2) what are there for power supply options? Any links?

http://imgur.com/IOqOAi3,pYTfs00

Intel G3420
Asrock h81m-ITX
80gb Intel x25-m g2

Posted on my facebook page. Also, saw quite the spike in traffic to my website from your reddit post. :)

Cool. I'm a bit sad I got my parts just before they announced the G3258 overclockable pentium, hah.

I inquired again about the black parts this morning. They're finished, but didn't go out on Tuesday as they said. I've asked them to just hold onto them until the white parts are complete, and send them all together. The white parts are scheduled to be done on Monday.

I'm really hoping the wait will be worth it, as this powder coater was highly recommended to me.

Good luck mate :) I know I won't be getting aboard the L2 due to my limpness though props to J for understanding :D

I wanted to ask what color would any of you recommend, the white or black? The black is sold out and there's only one white left so I may not be able to purchase it anyway but I thought I'd ask. I prefer silver, but I wouldn't mind trying something different.

Hi mate,

Do you ship to the UK, and if so how much would this be in total?

thanks

ras

I wanted to ask what color would any of you recommend, the white or black? The black is sold out and there's only one white left so I may not be able to purchase it anyway but I thought I'd ask. I prefer silver, but I wouldn't mind trying something different.

Both look great. The white stands out more, and shows off the vents more. The black is more stealth looking. I couldn't decide myself, so I have both. The L2 white is a matte white I've never used before, so I'm dying to see it tomorrow.

Hi mate,

Do you ship to the UK, and if so how much would this be in total?

thanks

ras

I do ship to the UK:

$21 (4-6 weeks, no tracking)
$46 (6-10 days, no tracking)
$64 (6-10 days, tracking)

The cheapest is the most popular option for me, but there is some risk attached. For a place like the UK, I'd expect it to be more around the 4 weeks. There should be no duty on this, but you may have to pay taxes depending on how your postal service works.

I am certainly sure that I am going to end up paying danish VAT + fixed fee to the danish postal service.

Sometimes when I receive packages shipped by UPS, Fedex etc. they do not collect VAT.

What shipping services do you use loneindustries? The cheapest is normal post I presume? Perhaps I should reconsider going with the cheapest option.

I am certainly sure that I am going to end up paying danish VAT + fixed fee to the danish postal service.

Sometimes when I receive packages shipped by UPS, Fedex etc. they do not collect VAT.

What shipping services do you use loneindustries? The cheapest is normal post I presume? Perhaps I should reconsider going with the cheapest option.

According to dutycalculator.com, you'd have to pay Dkr176.22 VAT, and no duty (value does not exceed Dkr1150.00).

Denmark shipping is basically the same as the UK pricing I posted above. There are also a couple more expensive options I didn't post above:

Canada Post Xpresspost International (4 business days) - $88.58 CAD
Canada Post Priority Worldwide parcel INT'L (2-3 business days) - $160.86 CAD

Canada Post has the lowest pricing. I can also use FedEx, or Purolator (I have discounts here), but they are usually more than Canada Post.

EDIT: Purolator International is $96 CAD.

Last edited:
I have another question. Does the white case fade over time or change to an off white color? I've heard this happens to cases that have white plastic, but I don't know much about this one. Also is the white case more susceptible to getting dirty than the black one?

I have another question. Does the white case fade over time or change to an off white color? I've heard this happens to cases that have white plastic, but I don't know much about this one. Also is the white case more susceptible to getting dirty than the black one?

In general white is more susceptible to showing dirt than black. I'm sure anything is possible given enough abuse. It is a matte white finish (actually semi matte), so in a way it's already pre-faded. ;)

Last edited:
According to dutycalculator.com, you'd have to pay Dkr176.22 VAT, and no duty (value does not exceed Dkr1150.00).

Yeah ok, I think even if I could avoid the VAT going with Canada Post is going to be the cheapest. So I will just stay with the option I chose.

By the way, the calculator does not include the additional danish post service fee of 160 DKK :-P But you only have to pay that if it is delivered by the danish post (e.g. shipped by USPS, Canada Post etc.)

Yeah ok, I think even if I could avoid the VAT going with Canada Post is going to be the cheapest. So I will just stay with the option I chose.

By the way, the calculator does not include the additional danish post service fee of 160 DKK :-P But you only have to pay that if it is delivered by the danish post (e.g. shipped by USPS, Canada Post etc.)

Ouch, is that really like $30 USD?

Will the parts be going out soon? How long should the shipping take from CA -> US once they go out?

Will the parts be going out soon? How long should the shipping take from CA -> US once they go out?

Yup. Unless something happens, I will have the parts tomorrow and will begin shipping them out. :)

It's about 4-7 business days depending on your location. There are about five people before you, but I'm hoping to get them all out before the weekend, or Monday at the latest.

EDIT: You actually only have five people before you!

Last edited:
Ouch, is that really like $30 USD?

Unfortunately, yeah. But don't feel too bad, we europeans are used to getting fisted when ordering from overseas. We even get bent over daily when we pay our 50% tax rates and 25% VAT on everything. And apparently, we like it too!

Black parts arrived, and look great! The white parts appear to be delayed a day in transit, but there's no way I'll be able to get them all shipped out today anyway.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, since I handle each case myself, I get to inspect for any blemishes. There are two main body pieces that have a noticeable blemish in the powder coating. I can either offer a couple individuals a discount, or send them back to get fixed. If you'd like one of these, and a discount, send me an email.

Those black cases are looking awesome. Could you tell me where in line I am to have mine shipped out?

Back