Lone Industries L2: Dual slot version of L1 anyone?

AXP-200 is much better than those listed, and it would fit.

There is also the new Cryorig C1, which looks badass. It's probably gonna be the best low profile (sub 80mm) cooler.

If you are going to use the Asus P8z77-i deluxe or similar z87 variety I would not recommend the Axp-200. As in every configuration and orientation it either blocks the PCI slot to where you will not be able to use a graphics. Or it blocks the 24 pin to where you would have to really get a small height pico PSU and it would still touch the cooler. With that said I ordered the Axp-100 and grabbed a prolimatech 140mm like how Stevo had his setup and it fits perfectly. Also I purchased a 750 ti slim and had the card die on me I'm in the process of RMA with galaxy and we will see what they do. Overall though the axp 100 is honestly the beat route to go its a very solid cooler, if you go with the muscle you don't get as nice of a mounting system but it cools just as efficiently for about $25-30 less. Hope this helps some.

Unless you also want a vented side panel, you'll want to use a CPU cooler around/under 60 mm in height (or 66 mm for the NH-L12 in single fan mode).
Thanks for the PSU info. Mh, vented sidepanel might be a good idea, if its not too late - what does the upgrade cost?

You also have the HDPlex unit to consider for power;
http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-250W-Hi-Fi-DC-ATX-Converter-16V-24V-Wide-Range-Voltage-Input.html

Regarding Cryorig, getting a hold of one of the units is the tricky part as they are available off of European sites but I must admit they are bad to the bone in terms of design, function and aesthetics.

I've contacted them via email and their support is spot on. They did confirm that the C1 is compatible with the ASrock A88x-itx board and is the only cooler I know of that allows rams with 42 mm of height to go under the cooler without issues. My ridgeback coolers will be right at home.

So my advice is, get in touch with cryorig and ask about motherboard support/compatibility.

I also contacted Noctua regarding the NH-L9(a/i)& NH-L12 coolers and they said with the case like an L2 you'd need good airflow if you're going with an AMD APU route with that silly 100W tdp chips. Anything on Intel's front is fine by a very good margin.

Last edited:
Also I purchased a 750 ti slim and had the card die on me I'm in the process of RMA with galaxy and we will see what they do.
Sorry to hear that, hope they get it sorted out quickly :) What's your impression of the Galaxy? What's the cooler like?

@HDPlex: It looks a good bit larger than a picoPSU/etc, and then there's also the need for a 24pin cable - how hard would it be to cram this into the L2, and how messy/airflow-restricting would it be?

Thanks for the PSU info. Mh, vented sidepanel might be a good idea, if its not too late - what does the upgrade cost?

Are you taking orders on vented side panels?

I'm having 10 vented side panels made. 5 in black, 5 in white (EDIT: 0 black, 1 white left). They're $25 CAD each. For those wanting one added to their order, just send me an email (including your order number if possible).

Last edited:
So I'm looking for a CPU cooler to use for my L2 build. I've gone through some of the threads here and I've seen the following ones that are compatible.

Thermalright AXP-100
Thermalright AXP-100 Muscle
Noctua NH-L9a (AMD)
Noctua NH-L9i (Intel)

I'm sure there's a few that I might have missed. Does anyone have any opinion on which one is the best?

Just some further info on the AXP-100, I tried 4 different fans, stock thermalright 100, Noctua AF9x14 from my Node 304, Prolimatech ultra sleek 120, & Prolimatech ultra sleek 140.

Contrary to 2 reviews I had read on the AXP100, in my experience in the L1, the 140mm fan significantly outperformed the 100mm by 6-7C. I can only conclude the Thermalright 140mm(used in the reviews) airflow is not as good as the Prolimatech as the Noctua 92mm also outperformed the stock Thermalright 100mm though not by nearly as much maybe 1-2C CPU/mobo temp. The Prolimatech 120 and 140 were very close, though once I figured a way to mount the 140mm without the 120mm adapter(it blocks much of the fan) it's the top performer.

Sorry to hear that, hope they get it sorted out quickly :) What's your impression of the Galaxy? What's the cooler like?

The cooler seems very good so far. The temps never get too high (around 60C) and the fan rarely needs to speed up. I'm running it outside of the case though, it's still in a fairly closed off space, but things might change when it's put inside of a real case.

The only problem I have is the minimum fan speed, the fan isn't allowed to go below 40%. I'm going to try putting a noctua low speed adapter on it, but I'll need to switch it to a 2 pin connector first. It's not loud at 40%, but it would be nice to be able to set it lower.

Can you make a custom fan profile in MSI Afterburner or is it a firmware issue? I had to do that with my 7750 or else it idles at 39% which is whirly loud (and annoying).

Can you make a custom fan profile in MSI Afterburner or is it a firmware issue? I had to do that with my 7750 or else it idles at 39% which is whirly loud (and annoying).

As far as I know it's a firmware limitation. Afterburner won't let me set it below 40% (with the hardware control, and low-level access boxes ticked), but maybe there's some other way to get around that.

As far as I know it's a firmware limitation. Afterburner won't let me set it below 40% (with the hardware control, and low-level access boxes ticked), but maybe there's some other way to get around that.

Only thing I can think of is bios editing and adding a resistor manually. Last approach wouldn't take long at all.

I (and a whole lot of people) had a similar issue with EVGA's ACX-cooler-equipped cards having a 43% minimum, and after some pressuring EVGA released an updated BIOS. Maybe sending a support ticket to Galaxy is worth a try?

I;d go for the matte grey'ish white :)

I'll probably go with the matte white after all. I spent some more time with the samples, comparing them with other white objects around my home. The two are very close to each other in reality. When not right next to each other, it's almost impossible to tell the difference in shade. Since most, if not all preferred matte over gloss, I think it's best to stick with matte white. :)

I (and a whole lot of people) had a similar issue with EVGA's ACX-cooler-equipped cards having a 43% minimum, and after some pressuring EVGA released an updated BIOS. Maybe sending a support ticket to Galaxy is worth a try?

Had the same issue with my motherboard. I emailed ASUS, and they said they'd pass on the issue to their engineers. I imagine there's probably some reason for it, like a safe guard or something. At the very least I'd expect to be able to change a BIOS setting to remove the restriction. :)

Last edited:
in reality, James, you can make out color gradients but only if you have a color relative to it that may allow you to dicipher a gradient. So the chance off you seeing a sort of "off white" white would be possible if you had alot of white ovbjects or maybe even a completely white room to make out a case was slightly off its mark.

You'll be fine :) So when the ETA of the case? I'm itching to get one my hands!

Sorry for adding pressure ...
:)

So when the ETA of the case? I'm itching to get one my hands!

Sorry for adding pressure ...
:)

ETA is still sometime this month. Hopefully the parts will go to the powder coater by the end of the week. Not sure from that point, but not very long.

FYI, I only have two white cases and one vented side panel left. No pressure or anything! ;)

Keep one white case and one vented side panel on reserve. I'm yet having trouble with payments :p

Yes, alot of pressure has just been realized! :p

Keep one white case and one vented side panel on reserve. I'm yet having trouble with payments :p

Yes, alot of pressure has just been realized! :p

Reserving shouldn't be necessary. I will let you know if anything changes though.

EDIT: I'll reserve the last white vented side panel for you for a week just in case someone asks.

Last edited:

Well overall the cooler and assembly came off as having a well built premium feel to it. Card performed much better than I expected it to, other than the one issue nothing but goo things to say. I have the RMA coming in the mail thursday so we will see how things go, overall though a solid little card.

Just some further info on the AXP-100, I tried 4 different fans, stock thermalright 100, Noctua AF9x14 from my Node 304, Prolimatech ultra sleek 120, & Prolimatech ultra sleek 140.

Contrary to 2 reviews I had read on the AXP100, in my experience in the L1, the 140mm fan significantly outperformed the 100mm by 6-7C. I can only conclude the Thermalright 140mm(used in the reviews) airflow is not as good as the Prolimatech as the Noctua 92mm also outperformed the stock Thermalright 100mm though not by nearly as much maybe 1-2C CPU/mobo temp. The Prolimatech 120 and 140 were very close, though once I figured a way to mount the 140mm without the 120mm adapter(it blocks much of the fan) it's the top performer.

Not trying to copy you ;), but do you have pictures of how the fan its mounted? I'm assuming you only used 2 of the corners to make it work but more clarification would be awesome :D. If I can eek a little more cooling headroom out of this I'll be very pleased :3.

Not trying to copy you ;), but do you have pictures of how the fan its mounted? I'm assuming you only used 2 of the corners to make it work but more clarification would be awesome :D. If I can eek a little more cooling headroom out of this I'll be very pleased :3.

Good guess, I used the spring clip from a set of 5/8" pitch chain master links you can see them in the pic, a bit ghetto but working. Those are held to the fan with M3 screws and nuts.

WP_20140506_002_zpsaa2a12ee.jpg

Last edited:
Good guess, I used the spring clip from a set of 5/8" pitch chain master links you can see them in the pic, a bit ghetto but working. Those are held to the fan with M3 screws and nuts.

WP_20140506_002_zpsaa2a12ee.jpg

You ingenius bastard you :3, looks good man I'll look into trying something similar once the L2 comes in.

FYI, parts are finished being made and will be at powder coater shortly! :)

Can't wait man looking forward to getting the case in hand :D.

I can't wait to get this case. I have almost all my parts together. Also, do people generally have the two top 80mm fans set to blow air into the case or blow air out of the case?

I can't wait to get this case. I have almost all my parts together. Also, do people generally have the two top 80mm fans set to blow air into the case or blow air out of the case?

From what I've seen, it appears that most have the fans blowing out, but I know there's at least one person who has tried the fans blowing in, and reported that he had better temps.

You ingenius bastard you :3, looks good man I'll look into trying something similar once the L2 comes in.

Ha, more like wandering around Marshall's hardware store looking in every drawer for 2 hours til I found something.

Also, do people generally have the two top 80mm fans set to blow air into the case or blow air out of the case?

I have mine very gently blowing out, with the vented side panel probably not necessary at all. I think between the VRM daughterboard on my mobo and the TV card there's significant baffling to the airflow and most of it is going around to the front side of the case. Probably should've experimented more with HSF and case fan directions, but temps are good as they are.

How are things coming along? I'm so looking forward to this case :)

The parts are at the powder coater. The white parts might delay things due to not meeting their minimum price per colour. To get around this they wait to do them with another batch of parts using the same colour. I'm hoping they decide to just do them. Their regular turnaround is 5 or less days.

The last black L2 was also ordered today. Still one (possibly two) white ones still available.

The parts are at the powder coater. The white parts might delay things due to not meeting their minimum price per colour. To get around this they wait to do them with another batch of parts using the same colour. I'm hoping they decide to just do them. Their regular turnaround is 5 or less days.

The last black L2 was also ordered today. Still one (possibly two) white ones still available.

Are you waiting until everything is done to ship?

I ordered one of the black cases on the site. Not exactly sure if I'm getting one with or without side vents? :)

By the way, I got one of the new Zotac low profile gtx 750. They do not make a ti version.

It seems quite similar to the KFA2/Galaxy cards, at least from the pictures. I'm quite happy with it, it's relatively silent and the performance is great despite not being a ti. The good thing is that the low profile bracket is included in the package. I don't think it is in the KFA2/Galaxy package.

Even though the fan is quite silent at idle, I would like it to go even slower. It's not possible at the moment through bios editing.

EDIT: Ah, nevermind, found the post on page 17. I guess I'll just stick with no vents!

Last edited:
I ordered one of the black cases on the site. Not exactly sure if I'm getting one with or without side vents? :)

By the way, I got one of the new Zotac low profile gtx 750. They do not make a ti version.

It seems quite similar to the KFA2/Galaxy cards, at least from the pictures. I'm quite happy with it, it's relatively silent and the performance is great despite not being a ti. The good thing is that the low profile bracket is included in the package. I don't think it is in the KFA2/Galaxy package.

Even though the fan is quite silent at idle, I would like it to go even slower. It's not possible at the moment through bios editing.

EDIT: Ah, nevermind, found the post on page 17. I guess I'll just stick with no vents!

Hi andgo. I can let you know if one becomes available if you like? Also, glad to hear there's another GPU option for people and that it's quiet!

Well, thinking about it I think I will stay with the cleaner look of no vents :)

I don't think my usage would be generating more heat than what the top vents can take care of.

Yay, got all the power switches finished for the L2 batch! Took about three hours over the space of a couple days. Took a little while to adjust to the lead free solder. These are some pretty expensive switches time-wise. :)

Yay, got all the power switches finished for the L2 batch! Took about three hours over the space of a couple days. Took a little while to adjust to the lead free solder. These are some pretty expensive switches time-wise. :)

Any update on the powder coating situation? I just finished purchasing (almost) all my hardware to go in my L2, getting pretty excited. :D

What are most of us future L2 owners planning for internals? Right now I'm planning on the following hardware.

Intel Haswell i5 4670S (65w variant of 4670)
Noctua NH-L9i
ASRock Z97E-ITX
16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport RAM (low voltage version)
Galaxy GTX 750 Ti LP
PicopPSU 160-XT
(2) 80mm Noctua NF-R8 fans

I haven't decided on storage yet. Not sure if I want to try one of those fancy M.2 drives (they look really complicated) with a large HDD for storage, or try to grab a few medium sized 2.5" SSDs and run RAID0.

Also not totally committed to the 4670S. I know Intel also makes a few 45w i5 chips that Newegg doesn't seem to sell, but I figure that if the PicoPSU and the L2 can handle a 65w chip, I might as well use one? Can anyone comment if the tradeoff of performance for lower voltage/heat is worth it in this case? Also, should I keep the standard 84w CPUs in mind as well? I was running under the assumption I should just remove those from contest altogether due to the wattage of the PSU.

Why the lead free solder? For the EU people or the longer dry time/rigidity?

Back