Lone Industries L2: Dual slot version of L1 anyone?

Firm follower of going 3 but if it were off centered a little to the GPU side I'd be over the hill right now :D

Last edited:
I just got a quote back for the vented side panel, and it's quite a bit more than I was expecting. The price for the vented panel will be at least $25 CAD. Is that still okay for everyone?

Would it be possible to have a VGA connector hole placed where the power/reset switches are with the switches being moved up? What about something like a full length PCI-E slot vertically? Similar to how Fractal Design does it (see here) if you made two of them it could get rid of the need for you to do the above IO air slots It would either allow a person to throw in aerocool pci-e inserts, leave it empty, or throw in full length and easy to find USB 2/3 PCI-E slots connectors. If so, would it be possible to pay extra to have that done?

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata..._info&cPath=130_210_750_760&products_id=28236
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...roduct_info&cPath=34_81_250&products_id=31449

If no one else wanted to pitch in, I would gladly buy the part for you to do the measurements and pay extra for the actual fabrication of the cut out.

Last edited:
Would it be possible to have a VGA connector hole placed where the power/reset switches are with the switches being moved up? If so, would it be possible to pay extra to have that done? I'm thinking it could be nice to be able to use 3 monitors from my GPU (galaxy 750 ti LP) and two more from my iGPU (if possible).

Sorry, I can't make any changes at this point. Could you fit something in the second expansion slot?

Sorry, I can't make any changes at this point. Could you fit something in the second expansion slot?

That's too bad. Just made some edits to my post. I suppose I could let the VGA dangle out. I could run long USB cables out the panel and mod USB inserts into my desk(or maybe a stand). I suppose it could be nice to have the ports more easily accessible. Have something like this run to the area above/behind my keyboard. Hopefully lengthening the cables won't do any harm. Atleast if I do it that way I can make them powered. Would be nice considering how much of a peripheral whore I am.

Last edited:
That's too bad. Just made some edits to my post. I suppose I could let the VGA dangle out. I could run long USB cables out the panel and mod USB inserts into my desk(or maybe a stand). I suppose it could be nice to have the ports more easily accessible. Have something like this run to the area above/behind my keyboard. Hopefully lengthening the cables won't do any harm. Atleast if I do it that way I can make them powered. Would be nice considering how much of a peripheral whore I am.

There is enough room to run a couple of cables out the top of the PCI-E backplate, I have a USB3 cable that I have run out the back and around from using this ASUS box I picked up for cheaps on ebay

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Front_Panel_USB_30_Box/

$25 is okay, Lone. I'm in for centered or offset, doesn't really matter to me at this point, the design is done well either way.

Don't get me wrong everybody, I've had a long day and I thought Id share my idea here though it may sound absurd at first...just hear me out :)

With the latest development being the vented side panel, would it be possible to get an AIO cooler shoe horned inside the L2 and have the radiator end ziptied tot eh vented side panel?

Prepared for some steel rain :(

Don't get me wrong everybody, I've had a long day and I thought Id share my idea here though it may sound absurd at first...just hear me out :)

With the latest development being the vented side panel, would it be possible to get an AIO cooler shoe horned inside the L2 and have the radiator end ziptied tot eh vented side panel?

Prepared for some steel rain :(

Don't see why a small one wouldn't fit.

I don't think it would be too bad an idea finding one of appropriate thickness would be the hardest part, I was looking into dual 80mm rads at the top but most are just too thick to work with in the space provided.

http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-250W-Hi-Fi-DC-ATX-Converter-16V-24V-Wide-Range-Voltage-Input.html Looks like this guy just got released. Vastly superior to Pico PSU if we can get it to fit :)

It's only a 60w difference over the PicoPSU 192w. Personally, I don't think it'll make a significant difference whatsoever for this build. It will definitely fit though. Putting this over the 2.5" box with some velco would probably do the trick.

Rough estimates:
00w - CPU
60w - Nvidia 750 ti
08w - 2x4GB 1.35v(?)
02w - SSD
08w - 4x80mm fans
=====
78w

Should mean there should be atleast 95w for a CPU. And that'll probably be pushing this case thermally. I seriously can't imagine it being practical to squeeze another 60w out of this case.

Last edited:
It's only a 60w difference over the PicoPSU 192w. Personally, I don't think it'll make a significant difference whatsoever for this build. It will definitely fit though. Putting this over the 2.5" box with some velco would probably do the trick.

Not just looking at the overall power rating, but looking at the 12v line:
Pico 12v rail - 8A sustained
HDPLEX 12v rail - 16A sustained

You can't simply look at the overall power rating, as it includes the 3 and 5 volt rails, which aren't really hammered on in modern computers.

I haven't used the HDPLEX unit, but my Pico's 12v rail sagged OUT of the ATX spec when loaded with a i5-2500k at stock speeds/voltages. I had to disable a core and undervolt it in order to keep it within ATX spec. That was without a video card or any other high powered components.

Ripple:
I have had huge noise issues with Pico PSUs when powering computers with audio equipment. HDPLEX reports to have a much more audiophile centric approach, with low ripple specs.

Input voltage:
Pico's high powered unit requires 12v input. HDPLEX's is wide range, with 19v optimal. Much cheaper and easy to find high powered 19v units in the wild compared to 12v units.

Yeah, that should really be interesting. As long as heat isn't a problem I would imagine flipping the drive bracket around (with the open side facing the front) and attaching it to the PSU to the back would work.

Using a GTX 750ti with an i5 was making me nervous, so I switched to an i3, but with this there would be no problem.

Now we just need some super short ATX power cables.

Not just looking at the overall power rating, but looking at the 12v line:
Pico 12v rail - 8A sustained
HDPLEX 12v rail - 16A sustained

You can't simply look at the overall power rating, as it includes the 3 and 5 volt rails, which aren't really hammered on in modern computers.

I haven't used the HDPLEX unit, but my Pico's 12v rail sagged OUT of the ATX spec when loaded with a i5-2500k at stock speeds/voltages. I had to disable a core and undervolt it in order to keep it within ATX spec. That was without a video card or any other high powered components.

Ripple:
I have had huge noise issues with Pico PSUs when powering computers with audio equipment. HDPLEX reports to have a much more audiophile centric approach, with low ripple specs.

Input voltage:
Pico's high powered unit requires 12v input. HDPLEX's is wide range, with 19v optimal. Much cheaper and easy to find high powered 19v units in the wild compared to 12v units.

I have heard a lot of those same complaints but all the ones I have seen have been directed at the M3-M4 PicoPSU line. For a brief time I had a 3770k (undervolted) with my particular unit and had no such problems. Audio problems? None noticed, although I have been using an external DAC/AMP for a while now.

As for the rails, amperage,and the 12v vs 19v stuff I don't feel it's worth getting into since there are so many exceptions.

I think I should both clarify and slightly alter my stance:
-If you have a current PicoPSU with no issues, upgrading for performance is pointless(goes without saying)
-The older mini-box 160w PSU (misspoke here) will be sufficient for anyone who is keeping a system mostly true to this case with considerations towards cool temperatures (somewhat subjective, my ideas are 750ti, <2 2.5" drives, and a i3 or LV i5)
-New HD plex is better bang-for-buck (even if when purchased, it isn't 100% needed), would probably be the best thing to get now
-HD Plex would certainly be easier/safer to sleeve

I have heard a lot of those same complaints but all the ones I have seen have been directed at the M3-M4 PicoPSU line. For a brief time I had a 3770k (undervolted) with my particular unit and had no such problems. Audio problems? None noticed, although I have been using an external DAC/AMP for a while now.

Ah, I wasn't aware of a new PicoPSU line, I'll have to check it out.

Is your DAC/AMP externally powered? With my Pico, anything I plugged in had noise issues. Tried a few USB powered DACs and DSP units.

Is your DAC/AMP externally powered? With my Pico, anything I plugged in had noise issues. Tried a few USB powered DACs and DSP units.

Back