Lone Industries L2: Dual slot version of L1 anyone?

I'm considering going with a simpler two-piece HDD/SSD bracket design, versus the current u-shape design.

Pros:
- Frees up a little more clearance
- Simpler/cheaper to manufacture (I may include more than one set)
- If you have a nice drive you'd like to see, the bracket won't hide it anymore

Cons:
- Less support for the drive
- If you have an ugly drive, the bracket won't hide it anymore ;)

Here's a few pics of the flex ATX inside the L1, my Fractal internal power cord had the wrong left/right angle but the height was right and I think it could be don if one could be sourced.

I'm considering going with a simpler two-piece HDD/SSD bracket design, versus the current u-shape design.

Pros:
- If you have a nice drive you'd like to see, the bracket won't hide it anymore

Cons:
- Less support for the drive
- If you have an ugly drive, the bracket won't hide it anymore ;)

Looks good to me!

I'd prefer the case in white or black.

Let me know if you want me to make more precise measurements Loneindustries.

I'd prefer a black case.

I'd prefer to wait for more interest at the moment. However, if push comes to shove and you end up doing a smaller/more expensive order, I'll still probably end up getting one heh.

Thanks! I've got enough people for a small order now. I'm also planning on having a few extra for anyone late to the party.

I think I can bump my status up to confirmed but I'm curious, how much is an L2 going to be? Considering this will be a small batch run...now?

Make sure you add the low profile bracket set as it is no longer a free add-on.
It's a great card. It's so silly they'd make you buy it separate now.

I think I can bump my status up to confirmed but I'm curious, how much is an L2 going to be? Considering this will be a small batch run...now?

Larger batch was $100 IIRC but the smaller one is $125. Not certain if that included shipping however.

Thanks! I've got enough people for a small order now. I'm also planning on having a few extra for anyone late to the party.
When do you want the money? Before or after they are made?

Additionally, are you providing acrylic panels as an option? If so, does it cost extra? is the final design of the L2 solidified or are you still open to suggestions/tweaks?

Last edited:

Pros:

Cheaper is better as long as it doesn't mess with the external aesthetics of the case. :)

I could be interested in a black one but would need to know the cost all in shipped to the UK please.

Larger batch was $100 IIRC but the smaller one is $125. Not certain if that included shipping however.

When do you want the money? Before or after they are made?

Note, those are approximate prices. I'm hoping to have some accurate pricing soon.

In regards to payment, what would you (and others) prefer? I was thinking of accepting pre-orders, and then process the payment once it ships. I'm not going to force anyone to buy the L2, even if they commit. If everyone backed out, then I'd probably be sad. :(

Additionally, are you providing acrylic panels as an option? If so, does it cost extra?

I won't be able to be provide acrylic side panels. I can help with CAD files if there's one person, or a group that want to have some made.

is the final design of the L2 solidified or are you still open to suggestions/tweaks?

It's currently in the quoting stage, so I'm still open to suggestions, but can't guarantee they'll be implemented.

I'll have to get back to you on a final price, but shipping would be about $20 (ground 4-6 weeks) to $46 (air) CAD.

That would be great, thank you. I'm very interested but just need to know what sort of price I'm looking at all in, I would have customs charges as well I would have thought? Any way of knowing what that charge could be? Is it from size of package? Has anyone from the UK ordered a L1?

Last edited:
You know a B85N phoenix would look awesome in this case with the pulse LED's :)

Is it from size of package?
Size of and weight of the package is legally irrelevent (though a very small package does increase the chance of it slipping through without being assesed for customs), what matters is the value and the customs code.

For a Package of this value you will get charged VAT (20% of the value including delivery charges), you will also get charged a fee for customs handling (varies with carrier but usually about £10 IME).

You may also be charged customs duty, unfortunately the rules for customs duty vary massively with the type of goods and i've no idea what the customs code for a PC case would be.

Thanks for the replies, is the 4x 2.5 hard drives still an option or is it in the spec now? Would be nice to be able to add 4.

Thanks for the replies, is the 4x 2.5 hard drives still an option or is it in the spec now? Would be nice to be able to add 4.

I need to finalize this still. There are a few options:

1. Include one 2x bracket, and one 4x bracket
- Both of which could be mounted at front of case. 4x bracket would cramp things a little up front.
- Price would increase a little

2. Include two 2x brackets
- Mounting at front and back (less room for wiring at back, wouldn't work with large CPU coolers)
- Mounting at front and bottom (would occupy expansion slot area, and block intake vent to some degree, but would be raised off the vent about 2.5 mm)
- Price would increase a little

3. Include only one 2x bracket, and *maybe* offer spare 2x or 4x brackets separately.
- Include holes for mounting a third SSD/HDD without bracket OR second 2x bracket.
- Fourth drive would have to be velcro'd/fastened to the third (or second) SSD/HDD.
- Price would stay the same

I'm sort of leaning towards #3, because it doesn't increase cost, and covers most users.

Last edited:
I think 3 is probably the best option too. I'm guessing that more than two drives in this case is fairly uncommon, though the option for more would certainly be nice.

After thinking about it some more, I wouldn't want to sacrifice big coolers and GPU space for the sake of four drives. I love this case because it can be heavy on specs in a tiny case.

Thanks for the detailed response ;-)

With the L2 being 6 mm wider than the L1, there's more clearance over the CPU cooler. This is a good thing.

Would people prefer to have that added 6 mm clearance over the CPU, or split it in half and add 3 mm taller motherboard standoffs?

I was originally thinking of adding 3mm taller standoffs to add a little more room for wires behind the motherboard. I'm not too sure though. It may be more important to give as much room over the CPU as possible.

With the L2 being 6 mm wider than the L1, there's more clearance over the CPU cooler. This is a good thing.

Would people prefer to have that added 6 mm clearance over the CPU, or split it in half and add 3 mm taller motherboard standoffs?

I was originally thinking of adding 3mm taller standoffs to add a little more room for wires behind the motherboard. I'm not too sure though. It may be more important to give as much room over the CPU as possible.

If you added 3mm taller standoffs you could fit an optical drive under the motherboard between the standoffs and then add a slit for a slot loading blu ray drive =)

If the extra 3mm space would allow for a 7-9mm SSD my vote is on more space. Otherwise I vote for CPU space. Given how simplistic PicoPSUs are it takes very little effort to modify it.

Is it not possible to include both options at an increased price?

If the extra 3mm space would allow for a 7-9mm SSD my vote is on more space. Otherwise I vote for CPU space. Given how simplistic PicoPSUs are it takes very little effort to modify it.

Is it not possible to include both options at an increased price?

Probably CPU space then. It would require >7 mm increase in standoff height to fit even a 7 mm SSD. This takes into consideration larger CPU cooler backplates, and also the fact that you need some way to mount it behind the motherboard.

Probably CPU space then. It would require >7 mm increase in standoff height to fit even a 7 mm SSD. This takes into consideration larger CPU cooler backplates, and also the fact that you need some way to mount it behind the motherboard.

Sounds reasonable, there's already room for SATA cables on the backside, and thinner power cables should fit fine.

Hang on a minute! There's an L4 in the works? :)

I was about to suggest the extra clearance behind mobo tray to accommodate ssd's or 2.5" drives but seeing how you'd need more room, that would defeat the purpose of the L1's revision to the L2.

Ok, allow me sit back down :)

I think this would look good inside the L2
http://www.coolingtechnique.com/news/47/1416.html

Wow, that thing looks amazing. Wonder what the dimensions are though. Doubt it'd fit. Wonder if it is even released considering those shots look like CAD renderings.

Considering there is only 77mm(?) of space available for the heatsink on the L2 there isn't much wiggle room.

I wonder if I'd be able to fit my AXP-140 into the case. If it fits I'd either need to have the fan sticking out of the case or have a fan underneath the area where the fan generally goes.

I know, right? I'll assume the product dimensions would be available around the same time that L2 comes out of production and into our arms :p

I'm more of a hands on sort of person so I'll wait to have my case and then make some purchases apart from the PSU :)

Wow, that thing looks amazing. Wonder what the dimensions are though. Doubt it'd fit. Wonder if it is even released considering those shots look like CAD renderings.

Considering there is only 77mm(?) of space available for the heatsink on the L2 there isn't much wiggle room.

I wonder if I'd be able to fit my AXP-140 into the case. If it fits I'd either need to have the fan sticking out of the case or have a fan underneath the area where the fan generally goes.

I've got the AXP100 in mine with a prolimatech ultrasleek fan leaves about 10mm, could use more though L2 should improve things.

Quick update. Current serious interest is now at 14. I feel that's good enough for me to order a batch of 20. If I go with twenty, the price would be $120 CAD (plus shipping). How does everyone feel about that price? Are there any questions or concerns?

In terms of type of colour, I was leaning toward matte black, and gloss white again. Other options include gloss black (various gloss levels), texture black, texture white, etc. I would count on any glossy colours to have some evidence of orange peel. I don't notice it on my white case unless I really look for it. I'm going to try to polish some matte black parts tomorrow to see how easy it would be for someone to convert a matte black case to glossy black. :)

Sounds good to me. I like the gloss, the only way I can really notice that slight unevenness is to shine a light directly on it, so I don't think that's much of an issue.

Back