Lone Industries L2: Dual slot version of L1 anyone?

I've got a few old ones left in white and black. Not an exact colour match.
Well how much would you want for say a black one?

Does anyone have a recommendation for slim 80mm fans? I bought some regular Noctua ones that are 25mm but they're too thick based on where the PicoPSU gets plugged into the motherboard.

I ended up buying these (http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...t_info&cPath=36_1128_37_870&products_id=35567) from Performance-Pcs, they are 15mm and come with an anti-vibration gasket essentially. Also the site sleeved the cables for me as well. I have them installed already just moving slowly with my build process haha :p.

So I'm having a little buyers remorse relating to some of my components, specifically the 750 ti. I thought I would get a GPU just to have one but I don't game at all and I mainly just use my desktop for browsing and streaming movies which the integrated graphics card should be able to handle fine even on my 2560x1440 resolution. I'm thinking about selling it and recouping some of the money so I can put it towards something else. I've installed it and had it up and running for about a night now so I know it works and I still have all the parts. Obviously as I posted earlier the bracket is wrong but that's minor. If anyone might be interested and lives in the US send me a PM.

hey guys

My L2 just arrived today, very excite!

However i dont have an appropriate hex head screwdriver to undo the side panel screws, does anyone know what size it would be so i can go pick one up without getting the wrong one?

Cheers

I got my black L2 with the vented side panel, made it to Australia very safe and sound! Still have one more final exam to go, so hopefully soon after that I will start to look for parts and see what I want to build :)

hey guys

My L2 just arrived today, very excited!

However i dont have an appropriate hex head screwdriver to undo the side panel screws, does anyone know what size it would be so i can go pick one up without getting the wrong one?

Cheers

2 mm or 5/64 in. :)

I got my black L2 with the vented side panel, made it to Australia very safe and sound! Still have one more final exam to go, so hopefully soon after that I will start to look for parts and see what I want to build :)

Very glad they both arrived safely!

Last edited:

We will have to make an Australian L2 Owners Club....for all 2 of us!

2 mm or 5/64 in. :)

thanks, thats what i suspected but of course i couldnt be sure if the screws were imperial or metric sizing.

build log/pics will be coming next week when my internal components arrive! was surprised to see if arrive this week, im totally unprepared (and underpayed) to be building so soon.

So looking in the case and taking some quick measurements, it looks like it's possible to move the 2 2.5" drives down so they are not in the middle, then the HD plex 250W should fit above that, of course that will involve ditching the included brackets....but it's nothing velcro or 3M VHB if you want something more perm can't handle.

Does anyone have a recommendation for slim 80mm fans? I bought some regular Noctua ones that are 25mm but they're too thick based on where the PicoPSU gets plugged into the motherboard.

25 mm fans can work with the PicoPSU facing towards them. Just takes a little more effort. I have two systems like this myself. That said the 80x15mm fans would give you more room to work, and make things a little easier. If you or someone you know is experienced with soldering, it's also possible to modify the PicoPSU so the wires face the other way.

So I'm having a little buyers remorse relating to some of my components, specifically the 750 ti. I thought I would get a GPU just to have one but I don't game at all and I mainly just use my desktop for browsing and streaming movies which the integrated graphics card should be able to handle fine even on my 2560x1440 resolution. I'm thinking about selling it and recouping some of the money so I can put it towards something else. I've installed it and had it up and running for about a night now so I know it works and I still have all the parts. Obviously as I posted earlier the bracket is wrong but that's minor. If anyone might be interested and lives in the US send me a PM.

Are you still happy with the L2? I know a few people who are waiting to buy an L2.

Have some Noiseblocker 80x15s in my L1, have a bit of buzz to the motor like other PWMs sometimes do, not really noticeable unless you're close and no background noise. Just picked up some Akasa 80x10s for L2 fo extra room, absolutely quiet and half the price.

Did you ever get the HDPlex stuff?

Yeah they deliver quick, at least here. I think their warehouse was up by LA or something. Taking my time on the switchover though, maybe take some pics this weekend showing positioning in the L1 for the 250W. There's some cable management I want to dial in better this time as there's going to be more stuff in there.

I did start shaving off the end of the connector but I think I compromised the shielding pretty badly.

25 mm fans can work with the PicoPSU facing towards them. Just takes a little more effort. I have two systems like this myself. That said the 80x15mm fans would give you more room to work, and make things a little easier. If you or someone you know is experienced with soldering, it's also possible to modify the PicoPSU so the wires face the other way.

Are you still happy with the L2? I know a few people who are waiting to buy an L2.

I'm definitely still happy with the L2. :)

Yeah they deliver quick, at least here. I think their warehouse was up by LA or something. Taking my time on the switchover though, maybe take some pics this weekend showing positioning in the L1 for the 250W. There's some cable management I want to dial in better this time as there's going to be more stuff in there.

I did start shaving off the end of the connector but I think I compromised the shielding pretty badly.

Thats the PSU I'm looking at...if you could take pictures and ensure that a 2.5mm drive can fit under that would be great :D (as in not having the PSU sit ON the HDs, but moving the HD cage down to the bottom of the case (while still vertical) and putting the PSU above that!

Thats the PSU I'm looking at...if you could take pictures and ensure that a 2.5mm drive can fit under that would be great :D (as in not having the PSU sit ON the HDs, but moving the HD cage down to the bottom of the case (while still vertical) and putting the PSU above that!

Lengthwise without stacking there's not enough room if I'm visualizing that right. But here's a few pics with the L1 resting on it's front. There's only going to be 20mm or so more room left to right

WP_20140621_003_zpse2da0b7d.jpg

WP_20140621_004_zps89468ce2.jpg

Took one of the 80x15 fans out and put the new Akasa 80x10 in, gives maybe enough room for cables to that side, I think it will be tough to the other side on this motherboard although I have some slightly longer SATA cables that might make it OK

WP_20140621_005_zpsddbbe7b1.jpg

The PSU looks like it will just fit under the drive cage, this is probably the way to go. Drop one SSD and mount that on top, although the cage would need to be modded to bring the power cable in. Maybe just mod this cage I have already, probably much easier.

WP_20140621_009_zps1e129519.jpg

I got my white case today, it would have been Wednesday, but the post office came just a little too early...

Everything works great. The white coating looks really nice. That little bit of extra vertical and horizontal space makes it a lot easier to squeeze everything in.

The top fans are a little cramped; I think one might just be touching the four-pin power cable, it still spins, but I might have to remove the silicone grommets and just use regular screws to save a mm or so of space.

Lengthwise without stacking there's not enough room if I'm visualizing that right. But here's a few pics with the L1 resting on it's front. There's only going to be 20mm or so more room left to right

WP_20140621_003_zpse2da0b7d.jpg

WP_20140621_004_zps89468ce2.jpg

Took one of the 80x15 fans out and put the new Akasa 80x10 in, gives maybe enough room for cables to that side, I think it will be tough to the other side on this motherboard although I have some slightly longer SATA cables that might make it OK

WP_20140621_005_zpsddbbe7b1.jpg

The PSU looks like it will just fit under the drive cage, this is probably the way to go. Drop one SSD and mount that on top, although the cage would need to be modded to bring the power cable in. Maybe just mod this cage I have already, probably much easier.

WP_20140621_009_zps1e129519.jpg

How long is the HDplex unit? That's much larger than I thought it was going to be :(

How long is the HDplex unit? That's much larger than I thought it was going to be :(

It's 150mm long, you could do what you're thinking of with their 150Watt unit without even moving the drive cage.

Are there any holes where the HDD cage is that could be used for mounting the HDPlex?

I probably plan to mount the HDplex there, and then tape my SSD to the side panel.

So I've noticed that hd-plex updated their website and now have a 160W PSU with 8A on the 12V rail;

http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-160W-DC-ATX-Power-Supply-16V-24V-Wide-Range-Voltage-Input.html

I've been thinking about HOW to get more power into the L2 without using the HD-Plex 250...I think I have a solution, it's a bit messy if you don't like soldering though.

it involves this:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5637/
and two http://www.pico-box.com/z2-atx-200.html or two http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-160W-DC-ATX-Power-Supply-16V-24V-Wide-Range-Voltage-Input.html

One pico will go into the motherboard (to power GPU and case fans) the other will just be 12V to the CPU and the SSD/HDD.

And if you get a powerful enough AC-DC adapter you can splice the two PSUs into one barrel adapter.

That would be far more compact than the HD-plex 250W

So I've noticed that hd-plex updated their website and now have a 160W PSU with 8A on the 12V rail;

http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-160W-DC-ATX-Power-Supply-16V-24V-Wide-Range-Voltage-Input.html

I've been thinking about HOW to get more power into the L2 without using the HD-Plex 250...I think I have a solution, it's a bit messy if you don't like soldering though.

it involves this:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5637/
and two http://www.pico-box.com/z2-atx-200.html or two http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-160W-DC-ATX-Power-Supply-16V-24V-Wide-Range-Voltage-Input.html

One pico will go into the motherboard (to power GPU and case fans) the other will just be 12V to the CPU and the SSD/HDD.

And if you get a powerful enough AC-DC adapter you can splice the two PSUs into one barrel adapter.

That would be far more compact than the HD-plex 250W

I've seen something similar done with alienware x51s but instead was 2 power bricks with one powering the GPU by itself. Honestly the only thing I'm waiting on atm is the PSU itself, as I want to make sure I have enough power for my build. Was there a particular reason you chose the z2 over the z3?

Hi Guys

Heres the build log for my L2 White. Have a look and hopefully youll see something you like :)

Specs:
Case - Lone Industries L2 White
Case Fans - Noctua Redux 80mm PWN x2
Mobo - Gigabyte H97N WIFI mITX
PSU - PicoPSU 160-XT 160W psu + 192W external brick combo
CPU - Intel i3 4150
CPU Cooler - Deepcool Gamer Storm Gabriel ITX (with Phanteks 140mm fan mounted on it)
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LP White 8GB
GPU - Galaxy GTX 750 Ti LP 2GB (with a separately bought LP bracket)
SSD - an old Plextor 256GB (not sure on model)

10720a9d_IMG_0605.jpeg

7e5a336b_IMG_0607.jpeg

44071174_IMG_0608.jpeg

f0764213_IMG_0609.jpeg

eb3cc338_IMG_0610.jpeg

779d2823_IMG_0611.jpeg

f157feaf_IMG_0613.jpeg

bcf9291f_IMG_0614.jpeg

a402406a_IMG_0617.jpeg

c4417595_IMG_0619.jpeg

c4417595_IMG_0619.jpeg

686bb3c8_IMG_0620.jpeg

f84fea28_IMG_0621.jpeg

c76e6997_IMG_0624.jpeg

acda7932_IMG_0629.jpeg

7c2b8094_IMG_0630.jpeg

da5e874d_IMG_0632.jpeg

e3d8a68b_IMG_0634.jpeg

a6382e6a_IMG_0637.jpeg

e5de8247_IMG_0638.jpeg

db962eb4_IMG_0643.jpeg

d889c723_IMG_0645.jpeg

Temps are great, havent gone over 65 on CPU or GPU yet while gaming. Case is fantastic, cant fault it throughout the build, was easy and painless to build in, although those with large fingers may struggle. Also, my kingdom for a magnetic hex head screwdriver!

Thanks to James from Lone Industries for putting together such a fantastic case.

I've seen something similar done with alienware x51s but instead was 2 power bricks with one powering the GPU by itself. Honestly the only thing I'm waiting on atm is the PSU itself, as I want to make sure I have enough power for my build. Was there a particular reason you chose the z2 over the z3?

I meant Z3...clicked the wrong button! Sorry!

yeah you could use two power bricks, but that would just make it more cumbersome, not to mention drive up the cost.

@callumbolch, Very nice build. Looks like overclock.net won't let you post images hosted on their cdn though. I'd love to hear what changes you or other L2 owners would make to the case if you could.

Here's a link to his post: http://www.overclock.net/t/1300645/official-usff-sff-club/780#post_22482344

thanks for linking that post through for me! yep im really happy with it, the case is fantastic. hopefully youll get a few more orders in for them, because you deserve the rep for it!

improvements for me a mostly nit-picky things that probably are things at my end rather than the case:
- the hex head screws were hell for me haha, as i didnt have a magnetic hex head tool the right size, so installing the mobo standoff screws was pure insanity!
- the HDD cage was a bit of a squeeze for me to fit drives in. i suspect the size is correct however the powdercoat has reduced the actual usable size to a pretty tight fit.
- the case feet are a bit wobbly but they are btter than some ive seen, and i understand why you use them, so the case can be horizontal or vertical without having holes for screw in feet.

the unexpected pluses:
- the removable back side panel makes cable management a dream and makes changing CPU coolers over very easy.
- the airflow in this case is far better than expected, with the venting and side panel vent providing more than adequate ventilation.
- the powdercoat quality is excellent - absolutely no issues there.

if you do a rerun you should aim to get a Lone Industries logo printed onto the case somewhere (i know some dislike that, but i think the black and white logo on the site would suit the minimalistic approach to design).

cheers for the case and i look forward to your future designs if they happen!

I agree wholeheartedly on the points you've made so far :p, and I definitely think making a badge of some sort for the cases would be fantastic. That was one of my favorite parts of my Bitfenix Prodigy, just adds a little class to the whole case. Not that the L2 needs it ;).

thanks for linking that post through for me! yep im really happy with it, the case is fantastic. hopefully youll get a few more orders in for them, because you deserve the rep for it!

improvements for me a mostly nit-picky things that probably are things at my end rather than the case:
- the hex head screws were hell for me haha, as i didnt have a magnetic hex head tool the right size, so installing the mobo standoff screws was pure insanity!
- the HDD cage was a bit of a squeeze for me to fit drives in. i suspect the size is correct however the powdercoat has reduced the actual usable size to a pretty tight fit.
- the case feet are a bit wobbly but they are btter than some ive seen, and i understand why you use them, so the case can be horizontal or vertical without having holes for screw in feet.

On my test fit with my old (dead) motherboard I just used regular screws...much easier than the hex!

Were you guys using a ball end hex driver, or just a regular one? I found a ball end hex drive very difficult to use.

Back in business! A bunch of little but tedious things to take care of on the move from the L1, still need to install video card(wanted to get back to baseline first with new PSU) and final cable management run(power cable in front will move to the back and bundled). PSU will be thermal padded to the front of the case.

Lone, the powder coat on this run doesn't seem to be near as durable as L1.

WP_20140711_006_zpsa24fb942.jpg

Last edited:
Looks very nice.

By the way you have to thank me, because i said Larry from HDPlex to make the pcb of the DC-Board black, using a mosfet heatsink and i manage the support for PSU bigger than 240W. Because the prototyp i got from him has a Jack-Expander (the little white board) with a center pin set to 19V. But the center-pin has to set to ground to tell the external psu (Dell 330W) to run in the 330W mode and not in 240W mode.

Much fun with the hdplex dc-board :)

Back