LOL! this is what u get when im board

LOCO LAPTOP

[H]F Junkie
Comments on my stupid idea? LOL.
A "moded" 8800GTX

1000475ce8.jpg

1000476lg1.jpg

wow, you got some balls man. You just voided the warranty of an extremely expensive product and probably still won't get much better airflow than if you left it alone and put a slot fan next to the card

ryan_975 said:
wow, you got some balls man. You just voided the warranty of an extremely expensive product and probably still won't get much better airflow than if you left it alone and put a slot fan next to the card

not really when i toke off the top i was careful not the rip the sticker ;)

Approaching ghetto there no doubt with all that tape. More fans, more tape, MORE! :D

p-n-p said:
Is it blowing...or sucking?

LMAO

I would guess since the Intel heatsinks sucks the air away from the processor than blow air on the processor it sucking the air off the heatsink.

Put that in a cardboard case and you will have ghetto mod of the year!!!!

let me put back xp on my comp and il post temps as soon as i can *DAMN U NVIDIA FOR NO VISTA SUPPORT!!!*

Lol, but wouldnt the tape increase heat isolation and work negativly?

AliP said:
Lol, but wouldnt the tape increase heat isolation and work negativly?

if it does il just remove the tape smart one ;) but i feel the heat coming out of the back so that part works :rolleyes:

Ya know, taking the shroud away from the original fan completely renders it inert.

It's basicly a spinning pice of plaistic now! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

wow... looks like the black mummy! so any temp testing yet?? if that's blowing down I'm not sure it's going to help too much.. seems like the slot blowers which suck air from those vents and expel the heat out the back work well for that.. but anyways, let's see some test data! :)

WHAT IN THE WORLD made you think that was going to do better than the stock setup? Were you "bored" or stoned?

p-n-p said:
Ya know, taking the shroud away from the original fan completely renders it inert.

It's basicly a spinning pice of plaistic now!

QFT. The shroud is necessary to contain pressure in the annular space around the curved blade fan tips. The shroud conducts the airflow across the cooling fins as it travels from high to low pressure.
Without the shroud, you got nothing. I'd expect the card to overheat almost immediately in a 3d app. Now put the tape down, and slowly back away :p

Yea, my understanding is now the original fan will do next to nothing and the extra fan is going to force air backwards through it rendering it useless.

Seanmounce said:
Yea, my understanding is now the original fan will do next to nothing and the extra fan is going to force air backwards through it rendering it useless.

And there's so much resistance to airflow and a lot of the air from the new fan will just blow out the sides of the fan instead of being chennel through the heatsink.

i was hoping for at lease 5-10c drop but that even better :D i guess that tape works fine lol, i could remove the tape and find out if it drops more.

wow.. that's quite a drop. so did you run a temp plotter to see what your max load temp was? these cards cool down fast when unloaded... what are the idle temps now?

ps: this mod reminds me of the one peeps were doing to their 7800GTX cards... putting a low profile fan on the fins...

off ati tools max was 66C, i found that not bad at all! during the scan for artifacts.

i may just start ocing :eek:

quick update i have toke the tape off and i stop the stock BFG fan and temp idle is 50C! well that tape did suck, oh well that was only 20 mins of my time anyway lol...

LOCO LAPTOP said:
quick update i have toke the tape off and i stop the stock BFG fan and temp idle is 50C! well that tape did suck, oh well that was only 20 mins of my time anyway lol...

We have the answer again. :D

Man this guy mangles English more than Mike Tyson, I still don't understand the results... :p

So it produced a 20c drop in load temps as measured by...what? ATITool? And what about in game, you say "after an hour" but how exactly are you measuring that?

And the tape worked or didn't work, someone translate, lol...

Mako360 said:
Man this guy mangles English more than Mike Tyson, I still don't understand the results... :p

So it produced a 20c drop in load temps as measured by...what? ATITool? And what about in game, you say "after an hour" but how exactly are you measuring that?

And the tape worked or didn't work, someone translate, lol...

il start with the tape, taking it OFF is = ALOWERED 5C DIFFERENCE. got that?

after the 1hour of game was on BF2 useing ntune.

ATITool was to find out that REAL max temp.

anymore questions?

You're full of shit LOCO. Just did the identical mod to my own 8800GTX (without the tape), and it's peaking under heavy load -1c cooler than the stock setup and idling around +3c warmer.

Which means either one of the two is true:

1. You're a moron who doesn't know how to properly implement control standards when running experiments to ensure that the data changes are accurate.

or

2. You're just yanking everyone's chain thinking that it's "funny".

Either way, it doesn't come out looking too good for you right now. ;)

Back