Lol @ Dell

I don't get it? The Opteron 148 costs about that much from most retailers.

Originally posted by tdg
I don't get it? The Opteron 148 costs about that much from most retailers.

Dell doesn't like to sell AMDs... now do u get it? =D

lol I like how they call it(advanced micro devices).Like there trying to make people think it's something different.

JUST CALL IT AMD AND START SELLING THEM IN COMPUTERS ALREADY.

Come on dell AMD AMD AMD you can doooooo it.

I dont know how they are selling these. It doesnt make sense.

I wonder what Intel has to say about Advanced Micro Devices... lol

I find it strange that they are only selling the cpu, not a system built with it. They probably did that as a move to force Intel's hand in some negotiations or something. It is a good start I guess, but it will mean a lot more when it is actually a system. Because really, who buys just components from Dell?

BTW, dont post it in the Intel section, that is just asking for trouble. And we all know we get into enough of that around here without openly inviting it. :)

Not the first time for Dell, they have sold AMD products in the past. A few years back someone linked to Athlon Slot processors they were selling off of their site.

Originally posted by DocFaustus
BTW, dont post it in the Intel section, that is just asking for trouble. And we all know we get into enough of that around here without openly inviting it. :)

Amen to that. If you make posts in other forums to act like a Troll, you will be treated like one and shown the door.

Originally posted by Tazman2
Dell doesn't like to sell AMDs... now do u get it? =D

Ah gotcha. It stuck me as odd that Dell would sell an AMD processor but I just wasn't quite sure where the topic poster was coming from :) Maybe Dell will finally move out of the dark ages of computing. Nah, probably not.

Dell is probably testing the market, trying to see who will buy them and expecting Dell customers with AMD Operton systems to buy processors from them.

The downside to this is if I build someone an Opteron system, I won't buy the CPU from Dell. Most customers that go to Dell's site want a total, finished package with warranty. Dell tries to void the damn warranty if you remove the heatsink, so where's the benefit here?

Dell can now say they tried to sell AMD processors and the market just wasn't ready, although the reason is Dell halfassed the entire thing.

Unless Dell plans on selling opteron systems this doesn't make much sense. I cannot imagine people would look to Dell for any AMD (oohh excuse me Advance Micro Device) upgrades.

I think some one either played an in office joke.....or leaked some info a little early.

By the time this post is read...DELL would have pulled both links down**

I say... test them again.

Dell does not, and won't be selling opterons. this has already happened multiple times with most amd releases, the athlon also shown up like this, and every time dell never actually sold anything

Originally posted by SnakEyez187
Dell does not, and won't be selling opterons. this has already happened multiple times with most amd releases, the athlon also shown up like this, and every time dell never actually sold anything

Calm down, everyone here knows it is speculation. But, there have been rumors that Dell may indeed begin, and this is just another possible lead to follow up for yea or nay.

The "they have not sold them before, so therefore they never will" defense dose not hold any water with me though. Unless your last name is Dell, or is followed with " , CEO of Dell" then I don't think you can make a definitive statement like that.

If Dell doesn't adopt the Opteron, I hope HP and IBM crush Dell with an iron fist.

Dell is just weird..they are like Intel's butt-buddies. No matter how good AMD's CPU's get, they will still be selling crappy old Intel systems. :rolleyes:

And it's sad too, because then Dell's huge customer base thinks that Intel is the only and greatest CPU manufacturer ever....

"I BOUGHT A DELL SYSTEM WITH A INTEL PENTIUM 4 AT 3.2GHZ WITH HYPERTHREADING TECHNOLOGY"

What they don't know is that an Athlon 64 3200+ pretty much beats the hell out if it...for overall less money.

What they don't know is that an Athlon 64 3200+ pretty much beats the hell out if it...for overall less money

Not according to Michael Dell himself. He always says we're currently "evaluating AMD processors" and "we don't see any evidence to support AMD's current chip line-up" and that's it. He knows damn well that the Athlon 64/Opteron processors are the best on the market right now. Too bad Intel has their *ocks so far up his ass, he's unable to pull away.

Originally posted by freeloader1969
Not according to Michael Dell himself. He always says we're currently "evaluating AMD processors" and "we don't see any evidence to support AMD's current chip line-up" and that's it. He knows damn well that the Athlon 64/Opteron processors are the best on the market right now. Too bad Intel has their *ocks so far up his ass, he's unable to pull away.

I hope dell gets the intel std. :p

This has happened before? No?

Maybe some cubicle monkey got bored and decided to mess with Intel.

Mark my words: if Nocona, Intel's Prescott equivalent for the Xeon platform, continues to have heat troubles and mediocre performance, we will see an Opteron system announced from Dell by the end of the year. Opteron's performance and scalability is far too compelling, especially in dual and quad configurations when stacked up against its Xeon counterpart. Dell will swallow its pride if Nocona's execution is anything like Prescott is right now.

I don't think it would be bad for Dell if they were to start selling Opteron-based systems. They would probably do so with silent confidence (read: probably no big-bang advertising capaign).

You would hear:
"Do you sell AMD based systems now?" ... "Sure."
not
"Do you sell AMD based systems now?" ... "Yeah we had to, Intel made us look bad :("

Intel, however, would not be very happy and it would come as quite a dent to their corporate ego.

Intel provides Dell with really good deals on CPU unit costs, most certainly as part of a plan to keep them Intel only. If Dell were to start offereing AMD based systems Intel would almost certainly end the great CPU prices they have been giving them all these years. So Dell would have to make up for lost profit / higher operating costs for the majority of their system sales. I'm sorry but I seriously doubt that their sales of AMD based systems would be able to do that at this point in time. Remember they care about one thing, keeping the stockholders happy and that is acomplished by profit dollars and dividend returns. Part of the reason they also outsourced their tech support to countries like India, to improve the bottom line. It doesn't matter that Michael Dell got his start in Texas / Austin and that Americans were laid off to hire people in foriegn countries simply to improve the bottom line. Like the majority of profitable businesses in the U.S. it's not what makes the most intelligent sense about product offering, it's what ever makes the biggest returns to the shareholders.

Those are very good points, CIWS, but I think Dell will go Opteron (in some capacity) out of near necessity. Never mind Opteron's performance advantages; if Nocona can't meet MTBF figures like Prescott probably can't, then Nocona has no business in expensive enterprise hardware. Enterprise customers recognize MTBF ratings, and base buying decisions on it sometimes. I won't elaborate further since I know you understand this, but it's significant in Dell's upcoming decisions, in my opinion.

Yes, good points. Dell will offer Opterons if it improves their bottom line ; in other words, if they believe it will make them more cashmoneyhoes.

Originally posted by CIWS
Intel provides Dell with really good deals on CPU unit costs, most certainly as part of a plan to keep them Intel only. If Dell were to start offereing AMD based systems Intel would almost certainly end the great CPU prices they have been giving them all these years. So Dell would have to make up for lost profit / higher operating costs for the majority of their system sales. I'm sorry but I seriously doubt that their sales of AMD based systems would be able to do that at this point in time. Remember they care about one thing, keeping the stockholders happy and that is acomplished by profit dollars and dividend returns. Part of the reason they also outsourced their tech support to countries like India, to improve the bottom line. It doesn't matter that Michael Dell got his start in Texas / Austin and that Americans were laid off to hire people in foriegn countries simply to improve the bottom line. Like the majority of profitable businesses in the U.S. it's not what makes the most intelligent sense about product offering, it's what ever makes the biggest returns to the shareholders.

Exactly.

Michael Dell is well aware, I'm sure, that sometimes their servers lag in performance when compared to other brands that offer Opterons. However, I'm also sure he doesn't care.

Not only does Dell sell PC's, but they sell an image. Their image is that they sell only the higest quality servers, featuring the most well-known manufacturers' components. Corporate IT departments may be evaluating AMD servers, but unless Mr. CEO knows about 'ADM', he doesn't care if it's 5% faster - he wants to make sure that his company's website stays up 24/7. Nobody gets fired for buying Intel...

Michael Dell knows business. He doesn't care about performance as much as the fact that big businesses have support contracts that only allow them to buy Dell servers. So, unless Opteron servers are massively outperforming Xeon ones, they're not concerned.

Often Dell will pretend to be seriously investigating AMD products to scare Intel enough to reduce their prices, or manufacture proprietary components for Dell. Similarly, however, Intel controls Dell by increasing or reducing the cost of Intel processors to 'favored' customers. ;)

This is known as business strategy. We are in the minority - most businesses couldn't care less if they use Intel processors strictly.

Yes, but no one has addressed my concerns about MTBF ratings in upcoming Intel processors, particularly in server/workstation products where warranties are held much more sacred.

They are processors that haven't been released yet. Are there real-world estimates of mtbf? IMHO, they can run hot, as long as they run.

I'm not as much worried about the processors as I am worried about the motherboard, power supply, fans, etc.--anything in the path of the hot air coming from (multiple?) Nocona Xeons. This is especially troublesome in the 1U and 2U solutions that feature dual and quad configurations. I also could imagine problems with thermal throttling kicking in and killing performance, causing class action lawsuits, volcanic eruptions, nuclear fallout, and large scale alien invasions, in particular.

I feel like the computer community is loosing out, but Dell is not. So you can tell what the Corporation feels is important.

Vette

Originally posted by xonik
I'm not as much worried about the processors as I am worried about the motherboard, power supply, fans, etc.--anything in the path of the hot air coming from (multiple?) Nocona Xeons. This is especially troublesome in the 1U and 2U solutions that feature dual and quad configurations. I also could imagine problems with thermal throttling kicking in and killing performance, causing class action lawsuits, volcanic eruptions, nuclear fallout, and large scale alien invasions, in particular.

Don't forget massive amounts of goat.se falling from the sky.

Originally posted by Josh_B
...... Mr. CEO knows about 'ADM', he doesn't care if it's 5% faster - he wants to make sure that his company's website stays up 24/7. Nobody gets fired for buying Intel...

Thats how it works at my job. It just kills me. We have 60+ servers all are Intel, and 40+ of them are dells. On a plus side....we never have a hardware failer...

Originally posted by El Nacho
Thats how it works at my job. It just kills me. We have 60+ servers all are Intel, and 40+ of them are dells. On a plus side....we never have a hardware failer...

Lucky you. At HS, we had a 'locked server', basically in a student-inacessable place, and it died constantly. It was a big vote of confidince for dell. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by xonik

Yea, I remember when Greenland was a global power bent on world domination... All it took was a few bad server descisions and now they would be hard pressed to kick Canada's ass.

I'd say the public needs to be educated on the topic.

Not too many people run to do research when considering buying a new PC. Much less consider building one.

It sure as hell doesnt help AMD when a customer strolls into CompUSA and an employee is shoveling shit down their throats about Intel based systems and how they're "a little" more expensive for a good reason...

I cant count how many times i've pretended to be purchasing a new PC at CompUSA and an employee has tried to sell me the 2ghz P4 over the 2400+ XP

They always start with "You know the AMD isnt REALLY 2.4ghz..."

Back