LogMeIn No Longer Free

Crap, got the whole family on Logmein.... Oh well, guess I can't fix their computers any more. *evil snark*

http://blog.logmein.com/it-management/logmein-changes

I have a feeling that a lot of people are going to be jumping ship once they see the annual pricing model.

Pricing:
2 PCs - $99/yr
5 PCs - $250/yr
10 PCs - $450/yr

I use OpenVPN/SSH for my home network, but LogMeIn was very convenient for tech support on friends/family.

I don't feel like setting up a VPN is practical for say fixing my grandparent's mac mini (who also use an apple router). It could be a good excuse to drop a Pi on their network.

And yes, there is a thread for similar: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1282558

It was disappointing news but they still provide a free service called http://join.me and it works well.

A one time ScreenConnect license beats a single TeamViewer license (325 vs 750). Only downside is the hosting requirement.

join.me is no good for unattended access.

Saw this coming... last year they limited the # of computers on the FREE accounts to 10 or so I think. I was forced to upgrade my account to central since I manage my wife's companies computers. Now I heard this today, but i'm fine with it. I'm a central user... still $300/year is higher than home users want to pay, which sucks. They should have offered something even more lite than the pro. Or allow a single computer for free... they'll lose a lot of customers for this but will make some money since those who were not paying, are looking for free options.

Central is the best if you manage lots of computers but comes at a cost. For me, it's a business expense, part of doing business.

Wow. This is terrible. I have a half dozen people I still provide support for who have a hard time even understanding what this lets me do and there is no way they could afford their own accounts. Looks like it's time to research alternates.

It was disappointing news but they still provide a free service called http://join.me and it works well.

lol that's like playing with fire knowing what we know. It isn't uncommon for many well known software companies to develop "false" competition, in a sense, under a different banner. I always take those companies with a bigger grain of salt when I see it.

Besides, if you're unhappy with the move they pulled with LMI Free then why would anyone consider supporting them unless they absolutely are forced too? To me it's just playing right back into their hands.

Not trying to say the suggestion was a bad alternative, but the thinker in me can't help but see the big picture and how every small action we take says something about ourselves.

I stopped using logmein years ago when they "upgraded" the interface and broke copy and paste. Maybe it has been fixed since but it was pretty worthless for me without being able to copy and paste properly. Guess it opens the market for a new product.

damn... that sucks. Been using Logmein for years.

Oh well... guess I'm going to splashtop fulltime. It's faster anyway.

Logged into Central this morning and got this message

Important Message

On January 21st we announced the elimination of LogMeIn Free. As a Central customer you are NOT impacted by this change. You can continue to deploy free hosts and purchase host-level subscriptions of LogMeIn Pro. Access to computers in your account will not be interrupted for your secondary users.

So it seems that central will not be affected.

My company uses TeamViewer. It's a SERIOUSLY great piece of remote control software.
But their pricing and licensing model is absolutely clown-shoes.
Yeah. They're expensive as fuck.
And if you buy ONE DAY before they release a next version? You have exactly zero ability to upgrade without paying for it again.

Even so, there's also AMMYY Admin
It's a little kludgier, but it's still a nice piece of free software.
Also, if you wish to pay for it, the pricing model is much saner.

Looks like I get to remote into the 5 or so PCs and replace it with TeamViewer.

So it seems that central will not be affected.

Other than the price increase that they haven't bothered to advertise.

Once LMI nukes the option to deploy free hosts in central, they will have completely destroyed their business and I wouldn't put it past them to do this in the future.

Looks like I get to remote into the 5 or so PCs and replace it with TeamViewer.

Careful. Teamviewer free will balk rather quickly if you connect to more than one host as it considers the multiple connections "business".

TeamViewer is an excellent choice for a personal computer. Using TeamViewer, without paying, for supporting clients is going to be against the ToS, and TeamViewer will nag you about it.

For support, I recommend ScreenCast. http://www.screenconnect.com/

Careful. Teamviewer free will balk rather quickly if you connect to more than one host as it considers the multiple connections "business".

These are all family member computers. Are you referring to multiple connects at a time or having multiple free PCs on your account?

I like team viewer better anyway.

For commercial I have used GoTomyPC, but it is a bit over priced. I have about 8 active computers on GTMPC

These are all family member computers. Are you referring to multiple connects at a time or having multiple free PCs on your account?

Teamviewer doesn't have accounts. What I am saying is that if you use your computer to control several others (whether it is concurrently or independently) it may nag your to buy a business license. Teamviewer is a real stickler when it comes to making sure that their free product is used for single computer personal use.

Between myself and my co-workers all of us were flagged as business users, when in reality each was only taking care of a few (Five or less) family computers.

Teamviewer is a great program however with the IMHO over zealous classification of normal users as "business" and the pricing model it leaves me little choice but to look into other alternatives.

I dont see how they will be able to get people to pay when TeamViewer is absolutely free and works better IMO. I mainly only need to control 6 systems and monitor usage of various programs. All the bells and whistles aren't necessary for my purposes.

Back