Logitech Z-5500s with a laptop?

I have an amazon.com gift card that expires this month so I need to spend it soon. I've had my eye on the 5500s since they were released years ago, and have been planning on putting the gift card towards them, but my desktop recently died, leaving me with some questions. Rather than get a new graphics card, which is the problem, I'm looking on the bright side and taking this as an opportunity to get a new laptop that would be much more convenient for school. I've been looking at getting an Asus G1/G1S or maybe a C90S, but depending on what the prices are looking like come August I may have to go with something cheaper.

Where I need help is with an explanation of whether or not it would be worth getting these speakers if they'll be used with a laptop rather than a desktop. How much of a difference in sound quality would there be? Would I have to get an additional soundcard for my laptop? Also, I have an old tv with only RCA inputs and no outputs; would there be a way to put the speakers to use with that? Would I be able to get surround sound when playing DVDs through my Playstation 2? Obviously this isn't my area of expertise so any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Can’t really answer your first question as I don’t have a laptop myself.
But for using a ps2 for sound without having a TV sound output, it is possible. Purchase a 5.1 game adapter from Logitech (currently out of stock, I used froogle) and you can directly connect the red/white audio signals to the z-5500s console. As for z-5500's sound quality I love them through all sound outputs (360, pc, TV).

For your laptop, the sound will be pretty good but not excellent (kinda get what I'm saying?). Instead of getting that connector from Logitech, you can get an adapter from Radioshack where it's 3 to 1 meaning you can just plug a CD player or whatnot using the Z-5500's.

For the best audio from your PS2 to the Z-5500, use a digital optical sound cable. The PS2 has optical out for sound.

This is a whole separate other cable from the one you would use to plug into the TV. Just don't plug the red and white things into the TV then, if those plugs are on the cable that also caries your video signal for the PS2.

Try and find a laptop that has the ExpressCard expansion slots in them (they are replacing CardBus/PCMCIA slots). If you find a laptop that suits you and has one, you will be able to purchase the X-Fi Notebook sound card and those Z-5500's, which would sound totally badass, IMO.

If not, you can max out the laptop with an Audigy 2 ZS Notebook sound card which is PCMCIA.

NOTE: They do not make the X-Fi Notebook in PCMCIA form.

Dell currently sells the X-Fi Notebook for $79.

Well I think I'll go ahead and order the speakers soon since my gift card expires in a few days. As of now I'll just be hooking it up to my PS2 with an optical out and my cable box with a digital audio out. Any suggestions on cables I should order with the speakers in order to hook everything up?

www.monoprice.com

Go there for optical/digital coax/speaker wire cabling. I get everything from there, and most of it is higher quality than any Monster shit you can get at the store.

Instead of getting that connector from Logitech, you can get an adapter from Radioshack where it's 3 to 1 meaning you can just plug a CD player or whatnot using the Z-5500's.

Do you have a link for that adapter? I tried but can't seem to find it. I'm going to use an optical cable for my PS2 but this sounds like it could be useful for other sources.

Back