Logitech Z-5500 Deals?

No. There is no such thing.

Quality > channels. Especially If I have to spend my money on something.

Pure shit coming from all angles or quality audio coming from awesome stereo speakers... Hmmmm. :D
You lost a lot of credibility when you called the sound coming out of these speakers "pure shit". A bit of hyperbole, eh?

You lost a lot of credibility when you called the sound coming out of these speakers "pure shit". A bit of hyperbole, eh?

Losing credibility calling sound coming from cheap plastic speakers pure shit... yea, OK. And yes, I have a friend that has them, they are pretty crap-tastic IMO compared to my cheaper Swans.

Seriously, why do people defend these things? Better sound is attainable for the same or less money!

Quality > channels. Especially If I have to spend my money on something.
:D

Yes I believe this. This is why I went from the z-5500 to my current 2.1 setup. Gaming or Movies it doesn't matter. Many gamers prefer real 2.0 headphones to 5.1 headphones for the same reason. Its still better immersion than a so-so 5.1 setup.

Bunch of [H]aters in this thread. I have the Z-5500's and absolutely love them, absolutely fucking love them(for $200). Is there better? Of course. But there is also always something better out there.

Bashing people for having these speakers is just retarded.

Fast computer > any speakers

This is [H]OCP, not [H]AAP(awesome audio people)

Turn on your speakers

and

STFU:D

Good Day

i never would have guessed this post would have turned into this. i own a very nice HT setup and use it for my movies and console gaming and truly appreciate it. however, given that i only game on my pc and go through random highs and lows as far as playing time goes, i love my z-5500's with my audigy 2zs. they are fairly loud, generate decent bass and when a baddie is behind me, i get that effect. money very well spent. that money saved, went towards a better cpu or gpu or whatever.... :)

If the guy wants Z5500's why hassle him?

Mine are sitting in a box after I went with a receiver and separate components. I don't regret owning them in the least bit.I personally would take these over a stereo set-up any day in their price range.

personally, i think the majority of [H]'ers are gamers that want to drop the bulk of their cash on a cpu/gpu. you say 2.1 is better than these, well when i game, i want to hear sound effects behind me. i think that is the majority of logic you will see here.

...saved by not doing what I'm curious. :)

spending $ on what you say doesn't exist in this price range. one of the reasons the guy probably wants these is for 5.1, which you say does not exist in this price range.

I said saved by not doing. Like it has been mentioned many times in this thread. There is way better quality options for the same price as the plastic Z5500''s, just not 5.1. There is no worthwhile 5.1 systems that are $200... I'm seriously asking you to ask this in the CA subforum, you will see i'm not alone.

i think that is the majority of logic you will see here.

You would be surprised. Most people are beginning to "see the light" so to speak.

No. We ( people who realize there are better options for $200-$300) don't care about dinky plastic computer speakers. Like I said, a quality 2.0/.1 system is much more impressive.... for the same price. There is no such thing as a worth-while 5.1 system @ $200.. it just doesn't exist.

If you have recommendations for a 2.0/2.1 sound system in the $200-$300 range that you consider to be better than the Z-5500's then you should list specifically what that setup would be and the cost and why it would be better than the Z-5500's so the OP has something else to look at. Don't come into a thread and tell him that what he wants to buy sucks and to go start another thread somewhere else asking for advice on what he should get.

Threads listing these speaks i'm suggesting are littered all over the computer audio sub-forum.

This thread hasn't been about what the OP want's in a long time.

Threads listing these speaks i'm suggesting are littered all over the computer audio sub-forum.

This thread hasn't been about what the OP want's in a long time.

The thread was started 5 days ago and you were the one that first strayed off topic in it. If you have alternate suggestions for the OP in his price range then list them. If they are littered all over the computer audio sub-forum then it should be a pretty easy task.

To appease you, not the OP.

Swan M200MKII's - $200
M-Audio AV-40 - $200
Audioengine A5 - $350
Alesis M1 Active MKII - $300
M-Audio BX5a Deluxe - $300
Alesis M1 Active 520 - $200
JBL Control 2P - $200
Tascam VLA-4 - $300
Edirol MA-15D - $200
Samson MediaOne 5a - $200
Yamaha MSP3 - $300
Samson Rubicon 5a - $300
Samson Resolve A6 - $300
Samson Resolve A5 - $250

I could go on but I think you get the point.

Better stuff is out there if look past the marketing BS put out by logitech.

As long as you got the point that this is the Hot Deals subforum and here we post links to deals. The OP asked for someone to help him find the best price on a set of Z-5500's and if you were going to recommend him to buy something different that you consider in your opinion to be better then you should of helped him by directing him to the better product and where to buy it from.

Because otherwise this may be the help he gets in the audio subforum:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1435302

To appease you, not the OP.

Swan M200MKII's - $200
M-Audio AV-40 - $200
Audioengine A5 - $350
Alesis M1 Active MKII - $300
M-Audio BX5a Deluxe - $300
Alesis M1 Active 520 - $200
JBL Control 2P - $200
Tascam VLA-4 - $300
Edirol MA-15D - $200
Samson MediaOne 5a - $200
Yamaha MSP3 - $300
Samson Rubicon 5a - $300
Samson Resolve A6 - $300
Samson Resolve A5 - $250

Better stuff is out there if look past the marketing BS put out by logitech.
That's a pretty comprehensive list for 2.1 setups.

Now if the OP still wanted to have his cake by going with 5.1, would you agree that he's better off with an Onkyo HT-S4100 for $249 ? The best part is if he uses the coupon code OnkyoPromo then he gets a free DV-SP406 DVD player to go along with it. The included subwoofer has it's own amp and isn't passive like they usually are with cheaper setups.

And when the OP gets an upgrade itch he can keep the receiver and just swap out the speakers for something better.

Wow I thought my Z5500's were pretty good until I saw a picture of
img1409s.jpg

Then I looked at my miller and kreisel speaker......
IMG_2059.jpg

They kinda seem expensive at $300ish when I bought them now....

I'm really happy with my Z-680s (predecessors to the Z-5500s) that I bought something like seven years ago. They're still going strong and for $250 they provide me multiple S/PDIF & Toslink inputs, 5.1 for movies, native DTS and DDL decoding, etc. That really can't be beat unless all you do is listen to music with your computer speakers, in which case a pair of elitist studio monitors WOULD be better, but that's the only time they would be better. For gaming or movie watching, you want 5.1, and if you watch movies on your PC or DVD player -and- game on PC or console or both, you need multiple digital inputs with 5.1 to your speaker system. Good luck getting all that for the same price with anything other than a computer-oriented 5.1 setup from Logitech or similar brands.

I'm very happy with my set. Got it for about $200 shipped on one of the Dell deals.

Wow here we go,guys get ready to pwn me here.

I have my 360 hooked up to a older (5yrs) sony 5 channel receiver,pioneer center speaker,and pioneer small bookshelf speakers.

I am not into the whole super audio bit like some people but I do like better audio then the tv can provide.I think my total set up cost me $150 for everything including the speaker wire.

Own me now guys while you can.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My experiences with the Z-5500 weren't that good.. Loads of static on the speakers but the bass was solid. If you like bass and don't care for much of anything else then I guess that is fine.

The Z-5500s aren't that bad, especially if you listen through foobar2000 with wasapi output (google it for more info). I have a pretty good headphone setup, so I think I know good audio, and the Z-5500s are great for the price point.

On that note, they are $250 at amazon, free shipping. Not a bad price since these are rarely $200 or less.

The shipping is NOT free unless you have Amazon Prime. For me it was around $50 so I didn't buy it (thank goodness).

I'm reading this as I have my Z-5500s cranking. :cool:

Thread starter, keep an eye on Dell, too, for Z-5500 deals. Right now, they're selling at a rip off price of $350, but they occasionally have great deals. I got mine from Dell for the low $200s about 4 years ago.

FWIW, the 102 reviews have rated it an average of 4.9/5.

Seriously buddy... take your argument to the computer audio forum, we'll tear it to shreds... You post a link to a Logitech site for reviews? Are you kidding? :p

They will replace them with something equally as crappy because they know suckers will buy them.

And just because someone can appreciate sound coming from something other then thin walled plastic computer speaker with 3" main drivers doesn't make us all "audiophiles"...

It's for a computer. Some people don't have the space to set up 5 bookshelf speakers, a receiver and so on. Some of us have real stereos, on which we listen to CD quality audio (as opposed to MP3s).

I've got a dedicated Surround setup and I've got the z5500. The former is better, the latter does a great job at it's intended purpose. If I want speakers for music, then your choice makes more sense (Music reproduction on the Z5500s is mediocre), but for most people, they're used for gaming and perhaps movies.

I paid 160 or 170 shipped for them. The cheapest speakers you listed would run the OP $500 for 5 speakers alone (sub/receiver not included).

Your suggestion is the equivalent of saying, "your $2000.00 surround system would sound much better if you spent $5,000 to $8,000."

For a dedicated home theater/stereo system, I might agree with you, but I'm not going to spend that much money for my computer.

My experiences with the Z-5500 weren't that good.. Loads of static on the speakers but the bass was solid. If you like bass and don't care for much of anything else then I guess that is fine.

The shipping is NOT free unless you have Amazon Prime. For me it was around $50 so I didn't buy it (thank goodness).

I've never experienced it, but my understanding is that it was a flaw in earlier runs and it was covered under the Logitech warranty.

I have no static either. I'm not sure what ebolamonkey is referring to. Maybe he wasn't using the digital interface (either optical or co-ax). :confused:

I've never experienced it, but my understanding is that it was a flaw in earlier runs and it was covered under the Logitech warranty.

That's another plus to buying anything from Logitech is their warranty. I had a set of Logitech Z-2300's a few years ago that had an issue with the sound not outputting at the level it should be from both satellites and Logitech just shipped me a brand new retail boxed set and they told me just to keep the others and do what I wanted with them. I have a set of Logitech Z-5500's now on my computer and for their intended purpose their more than good enough for me. If your an audiophile and you primarily listen to music on your computer then yes a set of 2.0 studio monitors will sound better because that's their intended purpose is production of music and they use higher quality components.

Studio monitors like the M-Audio AV40's and Audioengine A5's make the music sound more "flat" and truer to the originally recorded sound because that's what you want when mastering audio. PC speakers on the other hand intentionally try to make the music sound more pleasing to the person listening instead of trying to output the original sound. It's kind of like how $1,000 NEC LCD's with H-IPS displays will show much truer colors for people that do graphics design than a glossy $200 TN+ panel which tries to make the colors more pleasing to look at but not more accurate.

But regardless of how good of stereo output you get from a 2.0 set of studio monitors the ones listed in this price range cannot output the level of bass that the Logitech Z-5500's can with an actual sub. A 2.0 set is also not going to offer you what a 5.1 set can for positional sound for gaming. The quality of the sound may be great but the sound is still going to come from directly in front of you where the monitors are sitting. The comparison of 2.0 vs 5.1 headphones for gamers is stupid because 5.1 headphones are a gimmick. With headphones the distance between the little speakers is too close together to achieve any kind of real positional sound.

If your primary use of the computer is gaming and watching movies or if you enjoy a heavier louder bass then a 5.1 setup with a subwoofer is going to offer you more than a 2.0 setup EVEN IF the sound output from the Logitech Z-5500's satellites is inferior to that of professional studio monitors. You can either achieve more with lesser quality or less with greater quality. You can't have both unless you want to invest in the full package with passive monitors, a receiver/amp and a subwoofer. The Logitech Z-5500's offer more than decent enough sound quality though for the majority of computer users.

Last edited:

fyi, it doesn't qualify for amazon prime either. just can't win on s&h with 5.1 speaker systems.

That's another plus to buying anything from Logitech is their warranty. I had a set of Logitech Z-2300's a few years ago that had an issue with the sound not outputting at the level it should be from both satellites and Logitech just shipped me a brand new retail boxed set and they told me just to keep the others and do what I wanted with them.

Yeah. Thanks to this I've netted a few good freebies from Logitech. Laser mouse, speaker systems, etc. :) Mind you that was years ago and now the policy is that you have to ship back the more expensive items in order for them to ship you something or do a cross shipment.

Yeah. Thanks to this I've netted a few good freebies from Logitech. Laser mouse, speaker systems, etc. :) Mind you that was years ago and now the policy is that you have to ship back the more expensive items in order for them to ship you something or do a cross shipment.

Lol. It seems the first part of your post basically resulted in the second part of your post.

I've always had good results with Logitech. They are my favorite company for keyboards and mice. And I have never had to deal with their customer service since their stuff never breaks down (at least for me). The speakers for pc speakers seem pretty nice, beating most other PC speakers and rivaling Klipsch (IMO though this may not be agreed by others...I like the Klipschs though). As people say, since nobody is expecting to get Martin Logans when they buy PC speakers, the z5500 are fine for the PC.

Still, just like there are people who will put together an amazing video setups (triple SLI, gonzo monitor, etc) for their PC even though they have similar for their HT setup, there are many who put together an amazing 5.1 or even 7.1 setup using higher end audio hardware from companies like Energy, Paradigm, Ascend, KRK, etc. And in comparison, like the [H] video setups, these [H] audio setups will blow away any pc speaker. I am hoping down the road that I will get at least a fraction of the audio capability these people have in my rig. Just buy one component at a time I guess. Next thing for me is a receiver way in the future. :) In many ways, though we argue, I think we are much in agreement from reading the past posts. Its just the different perspective that we view the argument.

i agree
i got my z-5500 for 150 a while back and couldn't be more happier. it's great for the price at least to me :)

i agree
i got my z-5500 for 150 a while back and couldn't be more happier. it's great for the price at least to me :)

I agree, though at 250 (which is a common price right now), I'd have to think about it pretty hard....but even then, there's many 5.1 computer systems at that price.

i agree

Brand new or refurb? Either way, that's a great deal - and a flat-out steal if brand new/sealed box.

Brand new or refurb? Either way, that's a great deal - and a flat-out steal if brand new/sealed box.

I got mine for around 170 shipped (AR) shipped, in December 2007 or 1/2008. At the time, the deal was so common, I think many of us thought that Logitech was about to introduce a new product line.

I got mine for around 170 shipped (AR) shipped, in December 2007 or 1/2008. At the time, the deal was so common, I think many of us thought that Logitech was about to introduce a new product line.

Yeah, I remember those deals. But I guess Logitech decided to just continue the line. Eventually, they'll have to have a new flagship set of computer speakers, right? Eventually sales will go down, right? Maybe not.

the z-5500 was a great investment for people who bought it back then (like me) :)
the price actually went up. It's rarely that tech products increase prices as times past by.

Back