Logitech Z-5500 $169.99 AR/FS

I got in on them when they were $145AR. I must say, I'm a bit disappointed. I was expecting clear crisp sound similar to my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX set. However, they're still a good set of speakers, especially for some 5.1's THX under $200.

I got in on them when they were $145AR. I must say, I'm a bit disappointed. I was expecting clear crisp sound similar to my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX set. However, they're still a good set of speakers, especially for some 5.1's THX under $200.

I have them hooked up via optical cable to my aquos and i'm nothing short of impressed...

Maybe i'm not the audiophile that you are, but i'm pretty picky....

I have them hooked up via optical cable to my aquos and i'm nothing short of impressed...

Like I said, they're good... but what are you comparing them to? Compared to the klipsch, they come up a little short.

They must have some dumbass people changing the prices around for these speakers. They will lower the price so low that's it's agreat deal with free shipping. Then a few hours later after the price mistake they will raise the price so they don't lose their shirts with the free shipping.

This has happened about 3 times within the last 6 weeks.

Current price is $219.99.

Like I said, they're good... but what are you comparing them to? Compared to the klipsch, they come up a little short.

I wasn't impressed either. I've been told my onboard audio is to blame though.....

Depends what you're listening to. They're great for games and 5.1. For music they're acceptable, but you could find a pair of 20 year old speaker and an old receiver that would sound 10x better.

It wouldn't take much to make them significantly better....the most obvious addition is a tweeter. I also find the Sub is a bit too directional -- the sub is in the corner, but tha'ts to my left. That could be solved if they had a bit less mid bass going to the sub.

nevertheless, i consider it money well spent.

I wasn't impressed either. I've been told my onboard audio is to blame though.....

I've used an old SB live and on board audio, and there's not that much difference. In both cases, i'm going digital out to the speakers (accept for games). My sound card is the relatively old SB Live 5.1

Computer speakers of any kind generally don't compare well to a receiver and decent home theater speakers. Maybe that's why companies stopped producing them on the high end as enough people figured this out.

Computer speakers of any kind generally don't compare well to a receiver and decent home theater speakers. Maybe that's why companies stopped producing them on the high end as enough people figured this out.

Pretty much, people who don't know anything about audio buy cheap $50 speakers. People who are spending over $150 on speakers do some research and get bookshelves over computer speakers.

Specs wise, they are a pretty darn good for the money.

I don't think anyone would complain about them at the current price, but if you bought them in a store, where they still typically sell for MSRP, they're not a good deal.

I got mine a couple weeks ago, $169 AR, they do just what I need, but the speakers themselves are no audiophile wonders, afterall they are just little 3" cone widerange drivers. The electronics was precisely what I needed. Ill be replacing the speakers with a DIY 5" woofer, 1" tweeter that will put Klipsch to shame, and for very short money. Speakers are easy, the electronics is the key. Just make sure you have sufficient ventilation on the control box and Sub to avoid overheating and killing the thing.

My Bluray/HDDVD HTPC connects analog 5.1, my DVD goes coax, and my FIOS HD DVR goes optical. It worls like a charm. Until the content providers sort out getting TrueHD audio 24bit/96khz out the HDMI 1.3a I will hold off switching to a Onkyo receiver.

For now, using analog with PowerDVD Ultra, the sound from Bluray movies is just amazing, and is the only way to get TrueHD out of the box.

i have been thinking about getting this speaker set for a long time... but by the time I will be making money to spend on toys like this again, I will be out of college with my 2nd degree finished and making enough money for a single guy that I can buy a receiver and custom build my own set up.

Back