Logitech Wireless K750 Solar Powered Keyboard (review)

robbiekhan

Gawd
I am writing this review mainly because I have not yet found a half decent user review of this keyboard. All the reviews I found were either previews on Youtube or review site reviews but even they don't go into that much detail. I'm not a reviewer, I'm a PC Gamer by night, IT Sysadmin by day and Photographer on the weekends so I want to read about how good it is in my area of working! Stuff that matters like software bugs and how it compares to other similar keyboards as well as gaming (as in, can you get full WASD+SHIFT+SPACE etc functionality).

Having kept kept my eye on this board since November when I first saw some previews and read about it I finally finally have it :D
Bought it from Logiitech via their website as no other places here stocked it online or offline (UK).
I got it for £55 with a 20% discount by trading in my K340 wireless keyboard via the Logitech trade in scheme thing.

Let's begin!

Info & Main Review

The packaging is pretty minimal and neat, neat as in it makes use of all the space and is all recyclable materials too, pretty good way to sell a solar powered product no doubt:
pc_logik750_packing.jpg

I am going to compare my little review of the K750 with my K340 keyboard which I have had for a while now as well as the diNovo for Notebooks keyboard which I had before that. The K750 is a bit longer but much more spacious, more spacious than the diNovo too thanks to the chic keys, one thing I did not like about the K340 was the keys which were close together and the whole keyboard itself was very light and keypresses were quite audible because of the lack of absorption through the keyboard. I still liked it though as it was cheap enough and was what I was after at the time since my diNovo for Notebooks died and I fancied a change.

Here's the K750 side by side with the K340:
pc_logik750_frontVSk340.jpg

And with/without the height adjustment:
pc_logik750_heightadjust.jpg

(The K340 has no height adjustment, neither did the diNovo for Ntebooks)

Immediate impressions were that I found myself typing faster and more accurately with the K750 compared to the other two keyboards, I was even finding it more comfortable than the diNovo as the keys are bigger and spaced out better and had less chance of typos via accidental key presses.
I have had the K340 for so long though that I was accidentally hitting ";" instead of "l" (and some other similar errors) as my fingers were too used to the compact spacing of the K340 and more especially the DELETE key which is high up on the K340 - Some adjustment time was needed!

The K750 is very thin and the use of space extends from the packaging to the keyboard itself. It's about the same weight as the diNovo but it's thinner, even more than my HTC Desire in fact!
pc_logik750_thicknessvsphone.jpg

The solar panels can charge off ambient room lighting, the lux meter in the solar app shows you what the current charging level is based on the ambient lighting present. The smiley face begins at 150 lux so I assume that the most efficient charging begins at that level, so daylight+ But I have a feeling that it will charge the battery at below that lux, just slower. No issue though. Never have to worry about losing charge again :p

Installation was the easiest of all, my mouse and old KB use the unifying receiver anyway so I just paired the new board and off it went. Installed the Wireless Solar App which shows you the power reserve (3 months of use in the dark are possible they say) as well as the current lux value of ambient lighting as well as some graph for historical info and so on. The app loads when you click the smiley face button on the keyboard. It does not close when you re-press the button though, it must be closed manually. This I do not like as it would have been nice to have auto close when gaming if I just wanted to see the battery reserve in the dark (I game in the dark!).

The whole front is glossy, it is not glass and can scratch if wiped with an abrasive cloth (I know some people like to use Magic Eraser pads to clean keys, for example).
It comes with a microfibre cloth to wipe with and looks like it's going to be very easy to clean otherwise. Design wise it's definitely a head turner compared to other keyboards and dare I say it, but better looking than Apple's wireless board too!

But this is a keyboard! Why should you care how it looks? A keyboard should allow you to type with speed and comfort and not focus on being stylish, amirite?

Thankfully the K750 does both but while purists might disagree (mechanical switch keyboard fans, for example) I have to say this does indeed do both, it's not full on ergonomic like an MS Natural or Logitech Wave but it's as comfortable to type on as a Laptop keyboard but without the space constraints of one.

Gaming

This is one area where wireless keyboards have pleased (where Logitech boards are concerned anyway) and annoyed (almost all brands) me at the same time.
Pleased because the performance has always been great with no lag (on the Logitech ones I have had) but annoying because the W+A/D for strafe + SHIFT/CTRL combinations were never really usable at the same time (depending on board, some were D only, others W only etc). FPS gamers may well know what I am talking about but here's an example for everyone else:

Pressing SHIFT to slow walk and then moving with W and then strafing with d won't work as you're pressing too many keys but strafing left with a is fine. It's a known quirk with many wireless keyboards so I checked this out on the K750 and all combinations work perfectly fine so this has turned out to be great for gamers too. That and the fact that the bottom row of keys are slightly more raised than the other keys means hitting CTRL and ALT with your pinky/thumb is pretty easy too.

I played a vs campaign on Left4Dead 2 while writing the first half of this post :)

Final thoughts and dislikes

Nothing is ever perfect, that's just the way it is! There are some things I dislike and while some of these will be personal preference, others will apply to everyone I think.

1: The keyboard has no LED indicator for CAPS lock. My K340 and the diNovo as well as other wireless boards have had this in the past. There is an OSD but it only shows in Windows and not in games.
2: The Solar Panel App loads in the foreground so if I want to see battery reserve in game the game will minimise.
3: Already mentioned but the Solar Panel App won't auto close on a 2nd press of the info button on the keyboard, this should go in hand with point 2 really.
4: The Setpoint software out of the box still doesn't allow remapping of other non media/F keys such as ALT GR, I never use this key so it would have been nice to remap it to a quick shortcut or keystroke. You still have to use uBerOptions to unlock other stuff but I don't know if the latest Setpoint works with it.

Overall I really like this keyboard. It's comfortable to type on and whisper silent while doing it. The incurve keys are nice but on day 1 I am not immediately feeling the difference while typing but resting my fingers on the keys they do feel nice.

For £55 (if you use the trade in program) it's a bargain since the diNovo for Notebooks I had in the past cost £50 and this K750 is better in every aspect. It's slimmer too but strangely feels like it weighs the same. not a bad thing as the weight keeps it pretty robust and feel like you're typing on something solid instead of filled with plastic.

I'll be happy to do any tests people want or other pics and answer any questions (well, that's a given :p).

And lastly, here are some other pics:

pc_logik750_buttons2.jpg

pc_logik750_frontangle.jpg

pc_logik750_buttons1.jpg

pc_logik750_desktop.jpg

logitech-solar-app.png

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the review. I will picking one of these up for the office soon.

Just picked one up. Surprisingly thin. I'm liking it. The only problem is that the back props look pretty weak.

Wow, that's a pretty badass keyboard they made there. I was expecting peanuts for battery power but it lasts long it seems :)

Thanks for the review,man

So you approve of this keyboard for gaming? I was thinking about this one or the K800.

No latency/Lag/Battery doubts?

No latency issues and battery has already neen covered, it will never run out of juice if you open your curtains during the day.

K800 does look good but I prefer the dimensions and style of the K750 :p

Still, go into a big store and have a look at both :D

Great review and you're right, haven't seen a proper review of this keyboard yet.
I'm also considering between the K750 and the K800 for my gaming rig myself.

Prefer the chiclet keys and design of the K750 as well, but I do want the backlit keys tho. :D I wonder if anyone has tested the WASD+SPACE+SHIFT on the K800.

thanks for the review, I'm having a hard time deciding between the K750 and the K800 as well.

I got the K750. Get it. It's actually REALLY awesome. I'm so happy I'll never have to charge this thing. It's cool waving it around and seeing what gives off light. Your own monitors charge it! Haha.

I have the K800, wireless illuminated. I absolutely love it. Teamed it up with a Performance MX Darkfield.... so great for gaming!

K800 requires you to charge it via USB cord.

K750 is always charged on its own. Basically you leave it on your desk and it will always work. I think that's freaking cool. My keyboard is powered by light from my monitors. Talk about renewable energy and geek/cool factor. It looks awesome too. :)

I really, really like the K750 but it doesn't have illuminated keys, something that I need. The K800 is still nice but a lil' too expensive, since I go through new keyboards and mice every year. Maybe I'll wait for a sale...

Thanks for the review. My only gripe is i imagine the glossy space between the keys will get covered constantly by oily fingerprints. :( Also, i see a PC power OFF (ON?) button right next to the Volume Up key, both accessible with the Fn key. That could be very annoying if you want to up the volume without looking at the key and press the Power Off button instead.

Btw, do you also recommend the MX Performance mouse for gaming? No lag or random disconnects? Do you have other wireless devices in your room/house? How is the battery on it?

Oh, and one more thing: i see on your desk a stand for the Xbox360 controller. Does it also charges it? If yes, what model is it? Thx. :)

Ripster55, reading that link, now i'm wondering what's the key travel on this keyboard and if that (rubber?) coating will rub off...Same for the letters, they seem to be small stickers (common on many black keyboards)...

Thanks for the review. My only gripe is i imagine the glossy space between the keys will get covered constantly by oily fingerprints. :( Also, i see a PC power OFF (ON?) button right next to the Volume Up key, both accessible with the Fn key. That could be very annoying if you want to up the volume without looking at the key and press the Power Off button instead.

Btw, do you also recommend the MX Performance mouse for gaming? No lag or random disconnects? Do you have other wireless devices in your room/house? How is the battery on it?

Oh, and one more thing: i see on your desk a stand for the Xbox360 controller. Does it also charges it? If yes, what model is it? Thx. :)

I've noticed no issues with oily fingerprints. Logitech ships a microfiber cloth w/ the keyboard though just in case!

I use a wireless G700. No issues.

Of course I am not the OP.

Ripster55, reading that link, now i'm wondering what's the key travel on this keyboard and if that (rubber?) coating will rub off...Same for the letters, they seem to be small stickers (common on many black keyboards)...

I believe those are standard 2mm travel scissors. And the decal look keys are actually quite durable. Illuminated keyboards tend to have the most problems with lettering wear.

I believe those are standard 2mm travel scissors. And the decal look keys are actually quite durable. Illuminated keyboards tend to have the most problems with lettering wear.

I was looking at the keys and trying to pick it, I don't think it's a sticker. They look like they're not going to peel or degrade in condition.

For when the room is pitch black?

How is it pitch black? Your monitor isn't on?

I dunno, I don't understand why people need illuminated keys. People have used keyboards before those even existed.

I hardly ever look at my keyboard for anything.

Is the battery user replaceable (in case it goes bad, as all rechargeable batteries do this after some time of use)? I've read in a review that it is, but i'm not sure, seeing no openings on the back of the keyboard. Quote from that review: "The keyboard ships with an initial battery charge, and Logitech says that the rechargeable internal battery, which is user replaceable, can hold a charge sufficient for roughly 3 months use away from a light source."

And one more question: Can you power ON the PC with it? I've seen that it has a Fn (F12 key) button for it.

I just bought one right now, I wish it were a touch smaller and minus the keypad, but its sic design factor will satisfy me for now! :p

wireless/no batteries sold me.

You will not be disappoint :)

The battery is a CR2032 style rechargeable penny battery and can be replaced yeah. The PC can be powered on by it if your BIOS supports power on via Keyboard but this is BIOS dependent as it kicks juice to the USB while plugged in but shut down.

I picked one up locally at Staples for $60 a couple of days ago. I love it. Easy to use, haven't experienced any lag and it eliminates wires on my desktop.

Bought one a couple of weeks ago. Worked OK for a while, then it dropped 30% charge overnight (even when it was switched off). 10% the next night and after 4 days, it is now at ~11% charge. Anyone else have this problem? It is usually in a very well lit place during the day.

Maybe a faulty battery, just remove and replace it? It's at the top, use a pin to remove easily enough.

Or just contact Logitech and they will send you a new K750 :)

Mine is still running superbly, has yet to drop below 75% really, a few days I forgot to open the blinds in the morning before setting off for work but it charges a few % during the day when I do remember and has been at 90%+ the past couple of months and that is with daily usage for several hours!

Maybe a faulty battery, just remove and replace it? It's at the top, use a pin to remove easily enough.

Or just contact Logitech and they will send you a new K750 :)

Mine is still running superbly, has yet to drop below 75% really, a few days I forgot to open the blinds in the morning before setting off for work but it charges a few % during the day when I do remember and has been at 90%+ the past couple of months and that is with daily usage for several hours!

I did contact Logitech, and they are sending out a new one. :) They didn't talk about the issue specifically so I don't know if it is a faulty keyboard or something that I am doing wrong.

If I charge at 500 lux but use it while it is charging, then turn it off for the night, the charge shouldn't drop right? (Or should I be charging it when I am not using it?)

The charge shouldn't drop over night at all no, remember this can go 2+ months use in complete darkness before the batteries hit zero :)

Thanks for the review...I saw this one at Microcenter the other day...it is perfect for my comp in the living room...did not want to clutter my living room with too many wires.

I use a K750 + G700 combo as well and it is awesome. I love having no wires on my desktop

Quick question though, do you guys use an extender cable for the receiver for your K750s? My computer is under my desk and the K750 receiver is plugged into my computer down there.

Just to add a bit of info to this thread, I'm coming from the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard. Absolutely love it. I tried the K800 wireless illuminated keyboard for about 2 weeks and found that I just didn't like the feel of it's keys and it went right back to Logitech (great CS, free returns within 30 days). I've always wanted to clear out the cables on my desk hence the current shot at the K750.

PS - I also have the G700, which is doing great for me.

Back