Logitech RMA generously offering a choice of KB - need some insight!

Jellylesg

2[H]4U
So I've had frequent and recurring issues with my DiNovo Edge and the replacements which I won't go into. Logitech's customer support has always been phenomenally generous to me and has already replaced it twice, but either I've got some spectacular bad luck with them or the DiNovo Edge just has some fundamental flaws, since they've all gone mad in some way or another.

So they linked me to this page and told me to take my pick: http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/keyboards/keyboards

I've never paid much attention to the G series of keyboards since I don't really go in for all the flashing and branding and the like, but I hear people swear by them and see that the G110 is not so garish so I am tempted by that, and the Illuminated. But I'd really like to get some input from people who've owned/do own any of these, as I did zero research on the DiNovo Edge and simply went with it for the media keys and sleek design. Which obviously didn't turn out.

So basically, if you could pick any on that page and why, is the question. Any models notorious for any issues, etc.

I know about mechanicals and hope to get one at some point, but I don't have the budget to buy at the moment, so I want to make the most of this RMA.

Last edited:
I bought a G19 a while back because it was on sale. I wouldn't recommend spending hard earned money on one. The screen is not as cool as one would expect and the software support has been terrible. I had a couple of the original G15 units and liked those. Get something nice but simple.

If you like the key action on the DiNovo Edge I'd get an wireless illuminated keyboard. I have both and they use the same switches and feel very similar. I can't stand the switches on Logitech gaming keyboards.

The wireless illuminated is going to be the closest to the Dinovo edge, same scissor switches...but battery life will be much worse than the dinovo edge if you actually make use of the illumination.

Sorry to hear about your issues with the dinovo edge, I got one through a dented box sale a few years ago and I've never run into any problems with it.

I'm curious to hear about the issues you have with your Dinovo Edge also... I've been using one for the last 6 years and have never had any issues with mine.

If you like the key action on the DiNovo Edge I'd get an wireless illuminated keyboard. I have both and they use the same switches and feel very similar. I can't stand the switches on Logitech gaming keyboards.

I do like the action but dislike the way they're designed and can't be replaced if they come off. I was actually looking at the illuminated until I realised it was basically the DiNovo Edge with a numpad. I'm going to steer clear because I've had so many issues with that design I don't want to risk going with something made from the same mould.

The issues I've had, for those of you asking, was key wearing from only moderate use incredibly quickly - I bought my first in a November and by january random keys had worn down to the point where the characters were entirely gone and the plastic surface had eroded, with a scratchy, rougher surface below being visible. I wrote to Logitech asking for some replacement keycaps but they insisted on a replacement keyboard as the keys weren't designed to be replaceable at home. The next one wouldn't charge in the dock properly, as the contacts were misaligned so I couldn't charge it without physically pressing it down into the dock with my hand. That got replaced and the third one I have I also have serious input issues with (they all suffered from unrecognised/duplicate keystrokes and general spazzing out, very annoying if playing a game and my character just suddenly stops moving for 5-10 seconds while the keyboard does its own thing) and keys getting "stuck" constantly inputting a string of characters, or locking me walking in a circle. None of them held a charge very well and the battery life degraded very quickly, all have worn exceptionally fast and had input issues, and the range is terrible - I got wireless because I like to use my computer as a HTPC style setup from a distance, but I can't go further than four or five feet from the dongle without the input being unrecognised.

Generally a fan of Logitech products but the Edge just hasn't worked out for me, be it design flaws with the product itself or a run of bad luck. My best choice seems to be the G110 even though I'm not much of a fan of "gamer" style products, so I think I'll go with that. Though the G105 and G9x bundle seems an awesome deal, except for the nightmarishly garish MW3 branding.

I had the Wireless Solar K750 for a few months and liked it. I gave it to my wife after I bought a Rosewill mechanical. I really enjoy typing on a mechanical keyboard.

The wired/wireless illuminated keyboard and the solar K750 are all excellent choices.

I do like the action but dislike the way they're designed and can't be replaced if they come off. I was actually looking at the illuminated until I realised it was basically the DiNovo Edge with a numpad. I'm going to steer clear because I've had so many issues with that design I don't want to risk going with something made from the same mould.

The issues I've had, for those of you asking, was key wearing from only moderate use incredibly quickly - I bought my first in a November and by january random keys had worn down to the point where the characters were entirely gone and the plastic surface had eroded, with a scratchy, rougher surface below being visible. I wrote to Logitech asking for some replacement keycaps but they insisted on a replacement keyboard as the keys weren't designed to be replaceable at home. The next one wouldn't charge in the dock properly, as the contacts were misaligned so I couldn't charge it without physically pressing it down into the dock with my hand. That got replaced and the third one I have I also have serious input issues with (they all suffered from unrecognised/duplicate keystrokes and general spazzing out, very annoying if playing a game and my character just suddenly stops moving for 5-10 seconds while the keyboard does its own thing) and keys getting "stuck" constantly inputting a string of characters, or locking me walking in a circle. None of them held a charge very well and the battery life degraded very quickly, all have worn exceptionally fast and had input issues, and the range is terrible - I got wireless because I like to use my computer as a HTPC style setup from a distance, but I can't go further than four or five feet from the dongle without the input being unrecognised.

Generally a fan of Logitech products but the Edge just hasn't worked out for me, be it design flaws with the product itself or a run of bad luck. My best choice seems to be the G110 even though I'm not much of a fan of "gamer" style products, so I think I'll go with that. Though the G105 and G9x bundle seems an awesome deal, except for the nightmarishly garish MW3 branding.
Why didn't you just swap your non-charging keys onto your working keyboard..

The wireless 800 as well as the wired illuminated keyboard both have laser etched keys that lets the backlighting shine through. This eliminates the problems of the key lettering wearing off, as it is part of the actual key, not something printed on. It has a micro USB charging port on it as well as a user changeable battery compartment that uses standard rechargable AA batteries. I use one at work and the charge lasts about a week, and when it gets low, I just plug it in and continue to use it wired as it charges. I like that as battery life wears down, I can replace the batteries with easily obtained replacements. I have also had issues wearing off the key labels on previous logitech keyboards, and these seem to solve that issue. The keys are similar, but not exactly the same as the Edge. The Wireless keys are a bit sculpted, but feel very similar in keypress action as the Edge. You can set the duration of the illumination or turn it completely off. The illumination goes to "sleep" after a period of no key presses to save battery life. In a well lit office, I can't really tell much difference between when the keys are lit or not.

I have the wired illuminated keyboard at home and it works very well also. These keys are almost exactly the same as the Edge, both in shape and action. I have this keyboard in a room that I sometimes leave the overhead light off to game in the darkness, and the keys being lit all the time make for a good reference point, even to a touch typist.

Either of these two are great keyboards, depending on your needs. I have had some of the same issues over the years with keys getting worn completely smooth, and so far, these both have held up extremely well, and with the etched keys, I have had zero issues with blank keys once the lettering wore off.

Very nice of Logitech to do this, as others have said. I have the G110, I can't really say I was super impressed with it after 2 years. The backlight is pathetic, and the build quality is quite poor actually, the whole case flexes if you put the legs up.

I would therefore steer you away from it, if you want something quality :)

Back