Logitech Purchases Blue Microphones for $117 Million

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Logitech has agreed to purchase Blue Microphones for $117 Million. Blue Microphones makes some of the more popular podcast, live-stream, and studio quality microphones which range from $60 - $4,000. They also sell headphones and have setup guides for starting your first Twitch streaming rig. I love my Blue Yeti.

"Logitech's acquisition of Blue Microphones will accelerate our entry into a growing market, and offers another way for us to help bring people's passions (from music to blogging) to life. Joining with Blue is an adjacent opportunity for us - a new way to grow - with additional synergies related to our existing gaming, PC webcam and audio categories. It's exciting!"

You're going to have to install a 200mb driver for it to work now.

What are you referring to? Logi mice and keyboards can work without drivers, their mice even save the settings, so you can change them from PC to PC, and keep the same setting without driver.

Their mic's are ok, but I'd rather have a Shure for the same price or less with better quality. PG and SM 58's are the standard.

Well that sucks..there goes one of the better mic's on the market down the shitter. I love lots of logitech stuff, but their headsets and mic's are absolute complete garbage.

My blue mics are the perfect balance of quality, price, and ease of use. Hope Logitech doesn't change that with future offerings, but I probably won't ever need a replacement

My blue mics are the perfect balance of quality, price, and ease of use. Hope Logitech doesn't change that with future offerings, but I probably won't ever need a replacement

gotta cut costs and increase the profits... Sad, because Blue makes some decent stuff

Their mic's are ok, but I'd rather have a Shure for the same price or less with better quality. PG and SM 58's are the standard.

Gotta agree with that. Shure is my go to mic. The SM58 is absolutely the one I use the most, but for deep bass vocals I also use Neumann's TLM102.

Logitech does have some decent products, but I certainly don't think of their typical gaming audio stuff as great.
Well, I guess I should go and grab a Blue Yeti before Logitech refresh the product line. I am still somewhat sad about the total disappearance of Z-5500 HTIB 5.1 speakers.

Gotta agree with that. Shure is my go to mic. The SM58 is absolutely the one I use the most, but for deep bass vocals I also use Neumann's TLM102.

PG58 sitting on my desk now. Best mic I've ever used for studio vocals and streaming. I'd take a SM58 for stage/live work though. No switch to mistakenly hit.

PG58 sitting on my desk now. Best mic I've ever used for studio vocals and streaming. I'd take a SM58 for stage/live work though. No switch to mistakenly hit.

Good mic. Yes, the SM58 is a no-brainer for the road. Those things cannot be destroyed.

PG58 is a good mic. I have one around here.

Over the years I have had some Blue mics, but got rid of them. Not a bad mic, but there are better around. Last time I used one was for acoustic guitar recording. Have other mics I like better now.

I am glad it was Blue that got bought. It would have been a bad day if they managed to buy Shure, or one of the other top brands.

I wonder why Logitech needs a microphone company?

I wonder why Logitech needs a microphone company?

I think it's actually a smart move in the sense of market space they are going to, with podcasting, streamers, at home media creation. And to correct something from earlier, I don't think Blue products are bad, just overrated. I have personally found that you could easily spend 60~80% the price of a Blue product and come out with something just as good or even better. I feel like Blue's a little bit of the "Mac" of audio recording. Overpriced aesthetics.

Hope they don't skip the quality for more profit.
Blue isn't the only Studio quality microphone brand around I wouldn't worry too much I mean there are plenty of other comparable options at Guitar Center/MusiciansFriend that are more than adequate. I agree w/others recommending the Shure SM58 it's a great reliable industry tested dynamic microphone unless you're doing professional podcasts you shouldn't need better. Condenser mics are nice, but also a bit more finicky as well you'll want a pop filter and shock mount ideally with one.

My $15 Logitech USB microphones (I bought four of them once they went out of production, since I couldn't find other decent USB microphones at a similar price) are indistinguishable by sound. Just don't look as cool, I guess? I use one for work, two for gaming (one goes to gaming PC, the other to streaming PC), one goes in suitcase for travel.

I find it interesting that now you have to pay twice as much to get a used one, six times as much to get one new: https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Desktop-Microphone-Black-Silver/dp/B00009EHJV

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What was metal is now plastic, what was plastic now is thinner plastic.. circuitry is now built with less quality caps and resistors.. but otherwise its all the " same" design... And that is how you save money.

that's unfortunate, always felt Blue was overrated in comparison to other brands.
Very true; I was never impressed with the quality of their mics but I'm guessing they gave them away for free to YouTube bloggers because that is all you see. It was the trendy mic to have.
I always recommend a "descent mic for the money" more in lines with a Behringer B-1 or C-1 for a condenser mic. Less than $100; descent quality, durable. For most people that do podcasts, bloggers and such ( I don't consider that crap as a professional arena) those are more than adequate.

Back