Logitech MX518 - wireless equivalent? (Mac)

I'm trying to switch to all wireless to clear up clutter on my studio desk. I'm not gaming anymore with this mouse, but I assumed that meant I could get any mouse - so I purchased the m705, which I now know is a horrible, horrible mouse, at least on Mac. It feels like the acceleration isn't right... I can't use it accurately.

I'd like to get a mouse that is similar in feeling to my mouse I just replaced - the MX518. That mouse tracks very well, in Mac or Windows.

What should I get?

There really isn't one. Yes, it's frustrating because the MX510/MX518/G400/G400s are my mouse of choice and I could've used a wireless one for a box at work. I ended up just using a USB extension cable.

The G700s or the Performance Mouse MX are it for good wireless, both of which are laser instead of optical.

You could look at Razer's products, but I'm not a fan.

I would say a G700 for wireless as well. I use the G500 wired version and it is great.

However, if you are on a mac, I would also throw in a recommendation for a magic trackpad. That thing is the single best thing for multigesture computer control I have ever used for non-gaming.

Ah, I've tried the magic trackpad, not my thing. I really just love mice.

The g700 and the Performance Mouse MX - both good tracking? Not weird with strange acceleration like the m705? I'm talking about on Mac specifically, I've heard the m705 is good on windows for some reason.

What are the pros/cons of the g700 vs the performance mouse mx? Same price..

Never used either. But I do know of the weird acceleration you are talking about. I experience that with my G500, so I would assume it is the same with the G700 as well. I got rid of it by buying Steer Mouse, which will allow you to control and get rid of mouse acceleration.

Never used either. But I do know of the weird acceleration you are talking about. I experience that with my G500, so I would assume it is the same with the G700 as well. I got rid of it by buying Steer Mouse, which will allow you to control and get rid of mouse acceleration.

Very interesting, gonna try that. Figured there would have to be some app to mess with acceleration.

Currently using performance MX on my Mac. Mac acceleration behaves differently (I much prefer the Windows implementation but there are several programs that improve acceleration if you desire:, i.e. smoothMouse). I didn't want to have to deal with Steermouse for driver support so I just went with the performance mouse. My first one I believe was defective (skipped around etc on multiple machines and both Windows and OSX) but my second one has been great. You have to be really careful though because I've gone through 3 replacements to get one that "works" for me (thank you Amazon). The first one had the problem with the jumpy cursor, the second one had an issue with the spring on the middle mouse button, but the third one seems good so far (although the left click is a little less tactile than the other one - you can't win them all I guess).

Major con of G700 would be that you would need to map the keys using Steermouse or some other program as without the drivers you will not be able to use the back / forward buttons etc. The Performance Mouse MX is officially supported on the Mac by Logitech (now the quality of their drivers is another questions, but they work for me).

I got an m705 for my Mac for Christmas, and it was immediately apparent that something was horribly wrong with the accuracy of the tracking. The cursor doesn't go where I want it to with this mouse. Whether I used a mousepad or the desk surface didn't matter. Tried it on my Win7 gaming PC and it was the same thing, so it's not a Mac OS X issue. Went back to the cheap-ass Logitech B100 I was using on the Mac.

Confirmed it with this simple mouse tracking test.. With the Logitech G5 on my gaming PC, I did a great job hitting the targets even when they were small, and the $10 Logitech B100 did almost as good on the Mac. The m705 was near complete failure on both the gaming PC and the Mac.

SmoothMouse is nice on Mac OS X 10.6.8 and I can highly recommend it. I've set the acceleration to be like Windows and it does make the B100 better by a subtle amount, while turning acceleration off made the B100 worse (but nowhere near as bad as the m705). SmoothMouse did not help at all with the m705 at any setting, even with acceleration off. I suppose I must have gotten a defective one but I'm not going to try another one; guess it's just wired mice for me now.

Back