Logitech Hero sensor upgraded from 16k DPI to 25k

maro

Gawd
First attempt at the news section, forgive me if protocols have not been followed. I searched and did not find anything relevant posted here already. Was not sure if I should post this here or in the mouse section.

It seems the Hero sensor has been upgraded, and it's via software or firmware. Not all Hero sensor mouses (mice?) get it though.

https://blog.logitech.com/2020/09/1...he-industrys-highest-performing-dpi-offering/

I was a little surprised to discover this somewhere else besides [H] Forums. My 518 is not on the list of 'upgraded' mice so I'm unable to confirm or comment on this.

Marketing fluff or legit worthwhile upgrade?

I have a G502 Hero so I might give it a go, haven't installed G Hub in months though because it was constantly causing issues...

Do you use Logitech Gaming Software instead? I'm curious if it's avaliable through that using the firmware update via LGS settings.
Only though GHUB. I have zero problems with the software but I also have lots of Logitech hardware and its nice having it all in one place.

For the last 3 years i'm using 2$ a4tech optical mouse. Fond of it, no problems.
1604066324995.jpeg

O wait this is the story from September. I already did this update on my G703. Haven't noticed a thing.

Do you use Logitech Gaming Software instead? I'm curious if it's avaliable through that using the firmware update via LGS settings.
Nope. Used Ghub to get my mouse setup as I liked, installed that hardware profile to the mouse and uninstalled Ghub. My DPS switches shortcuts are where I like them and the mouse just has a constant, healthy glow.
I honestly forgot that I didn't have G hub installed until I tried to find it, but the program only had like a 5% chance of launching for me in the past.

Logitech Gaming Software does nothing for my mouse.

Good to know. My 502 Lightspeed was supported. It seems to have killed off all of my programmed buttons and turned the mouse LED back on, though. Hopefully I can remember what was what.

EDIT: Looks like it just changed everything to software mode. Swapping to hardware mode put everything back the way I like.

Last edited:
Why though?

Was 16k not enough for smooth operation?

I'm not installing their spyware one way or another.

Mouse is a universal HID device.

Why though?

Was 16k not enough for smooth operation?

I'm not installing their spyware one way or another.

Mouse is a universal HID device.

Most games don't support enough precision in their sensitivity to lower it enough to legitimately use anywhere near that high of DPI. Even if they did you probably wouldn't notice at that extreme. Maybe if you're playing an FPS on an 8k display and trying to snipe between the pixels.
The Logitech software is nice because you can install it, save the configuration to the hardware itself, then uninstall. The gaming mice have a lot of extra features you can't configure without it.

Not sure if it's like this with all of their mice, but my 502 has internal memory. I formatted my hard drive last week, but my mouse still remembered all of my programmed buttons and DPI settings. I didn't even re-install GHub except to get this update. It's gone again afterward, too.

What is honestly the point?

Unless you're at absolute extremes, like EXTREMELY high sensitivity (like 3 inches/360, ridiculously high) at 8k, you will still have more than enough sensor resolution to never skip a pixel on any decent mouse.

Pretty lame that they're only including certain mice. I just bought two MX518's with the exact same sensor in them but they're not on the list. Dicks.

Does anyone use more than say 2000 dpi? These upgrades have not made a difference to me in at least 15 years.

Does anyone use more than say 2000 dpi? These upgrades have not made a difference to me in at least 15 years.
What we need is a hardware accelerated game port with a 50,000hz polling rate and matching sensors so we can control the mouse movement by blowing on it.

I still want the upgrade though just because it's there. :p

With the G502 hero, my desktop has been at 8,000 for a few years now.
Edit: It's been at 10,000. Haha! My three onboard settings are 1,200, 4,000 and 10,000)

I *think* my laptop was only at 4,000, but I mostly use the trackpad at stupid high sensitivity for that in its current config.

Anyway, upgraded the firmware, saw that my DPI can now go up to a silly high 26k, tried it for a few seconds and noped out. Even as a high DPI user, that's just a bit too much.
However it does seem that scrolling is a little bit smoother, but that could just be placebo at the moment. Nothing obvious, but just worth a mention.

Last edited:
With the G502 hero, my desktop has been at 8,000 for a few years now.
Edit: It's been at 10,000. Haha! My three onboard settings are 1,200, 4,000 and 10,000)

I *think* my laptop was only at 4,000, but I mostly use the trackpad at stupid high sensitivity for that in its current config.

Anyway, upgraded the firmware, saw that my DPI can now go up to a silly high 26k, tried it for a few seconds and noped out. Even as a high DPI user, that's just a bit too much.
However it does seem that scrolling is a little bit smoother, but that could just be placebo at the moment. Nothing obvious, but just worth a mention.

It's not really useful being that high, though. You've already hit the breakpoint thousands of DPI ago where you have enough resolution to never skip a pixel, and it's basically just functioning like a sensitivity multiplier/divider at that point.

Higher sampling rates and improved resolution in the sensor (which is what drives the holy 'DPI' numbers) can at least in theory help all settings even sane people use.
However, I would put forth we passed seeing improvements from those effects long ago.

It's not really useful being that high, though. You've already hit the breakpoint thousands of DPI ago where you have enough resolution to never skip a pixel, and it's basically just functioning like a sensitivity multiplier/divider at that point.
It is for me. I have over 10,000 pixels of monitor width and I like being able to access every single bit of it without moving my wrist.
I can still hit tiny buttons and highlight small bits of text on any of my screens with the sensitivity this high without fail, as I'm very used to it, but i can also cross all 3 screens in milliseconds.

Different people like different things.

For me, having to lift my mouse up or reposition my wrist at any point of using my mouse seems clumsy.

Well I have to say, DPI is only part of the equation. Windows also has "mouse speed" which is a multiplier (I guess). The numbering 1-20 does not make much sense. I normally use 500 and Windows sensitivity 10. If I set it to 5500 and 1 sens, you'd think the EDPI would be the same but it does not move anything like the same.
At least most games use raw data input from the sensor.

Edit: I have been playing with this. My Hero sensor G305 only goes to 12000. My settings are 12000 dpi and Windows sensitivity 1. Unchecked the Enhance Pointer Precision box. It is about equivalent to what I used to use.

Last edited:
Back