Logitech Gaming Headphones or Xonar + HD280?

Matrices

Supreme [H]ardness
I was looking at the Logitech G930 USB headset(based on the G35) and thinking of getting it because it has 7.1 simulated surround and wireless. I don't care about the headset part, but I want surround and I'd find the wireless pretty convenient because I hate wires.

However, I'm not sure the purchase makes sense for me.

Here's the thing: I've already got a Xonar D1 sound card and HD280 Sennheiser headphones. The soundcard has its own Dolby Headphone mode and a 7.1 virtual speaker mode. Sure, it's not wireless, but aside from that, would I just be replicating what I already own? The Logitech headset probably won't sound as good as my Sennheisers, but my main concern is that its 7.1 audio might be the same thing that I've already got built into my own soundcard.

Anyone have a chance to compare something like this?

The surround sound headphone technology is probably very similar if not the same Dolby technology. Some are done better than others, but honestly I don't think you will be gaining much if anything in terms of surround sound.

I have a G35 and haven't really noticed it being much different than my X-Fi's surround sound technology.

I don't use my logitech g35 any more because it was very uncomfortable. Most of friends quit using the logitechs for the same reason.

The sound was ok though.

I have the G930 and couldn't be happier with them. Very comfy and plenty of features. ;)

If the Surround sound is going to be basically the same, I guess I'll scratch this off my list, thanks.

An update to this thread: I found these G35s for only $65 on a Logitech sale (why do they call them "dented box" sales when the thing is brand new?) so I had an opportunity to see firsthand whether they're worth it - they're the same things as the G930, just wired.

The traditional wisdom, as we know, is that gaming headphones are junk and all you really need is a quality pair of stereo headphones and a soundcard that can do some Dolby Headphones or CMSS.

Well, I can definitely say that the traditional wisdom is obsolete.

The G35s sound absolutely spectacular in games. The drivers install a phantom soundcard (the DAC, basically) that is recognized as a 7.1 audio setup, and you therefore need to adjust your ingame sound settings appropriately where possible. The result - in games that support surround sound - is strikingly superior to any sound card + stereo headphone combination I've tried. I just played a little Half Life 2 and Bad Company 2, and you can not only hear where sounds are coming from , but you can hear effects that were never even present before.

Amazing stuff. I'd say it's a must buy for any gamer who uses headphones at all.

Back