Logitech G815 G915 Alternative?

Jellyfishpudding

Limp Gawd
As a writer who's always looking for a greater typing experience, I absolutely flipped over the new clicky variant of these keyboards. Since I've been away from mechanical boards for a bit and have been using the equivalent of Apple's Magic Keyboard, the low profile switches just felt heavenly. I just wish I could say the same for the aesthetics of these new Logitechs. Why on earth must all these great products be geared toward gamers? After all, their numbers suffer greatly in comparison to typists and writers who'll not give these RGB eyesores a second glance. I'd kill for one of these boards in an 87-key variant and in a more elegant package. And I know there are some out there, but there's no outlet for trying them out before you buy them.

Can anyone recommend a similar more compact board? I hear the Keychron K1 is worth trying out, but I'm not sold on the reviews I've seen.

Thanks!
Eddie

Ugh, I just replied to your other thread Jellyfishpudding . I too am looking for solid reviews on the K1, and it's hard to pull the trigger.
Certainly I can't find another board of it's type. Full size, low profile, browns, mechanical, macOS integration. I may just pull the trigger, I don't think there is anything anywhere close for the price and features.

EDIT: Was looking to pull the trigger tonight. Turns out 104, brown is OOS. Actually all the 104's are out of stock (except blue white led).

Last edited:
I have the K2 from Keychron and it is great. works perfect with MBPs. It is not a smaller form factor but if you do not need the numpad, you can get used to it since it still has the arrow, page up+down keys.

I have the K2 from Keychron and it is great. works perfect with MBPs. It is not a smaller form factor but if you do not need the numpad, you can get used to it since it still has the arrow, page up+down keys.
Full-size is an important part for me. I use numpad a lot for things like precise time-codes and precise coordinates either vertically or horizontally or both.
The only options from specifically keychron is either the lowprofile k1 in 104 or the K4, which is cut down (I think 100?) but full-sized keys. Having the lowprofile is kind of the best of both worlds. In a really perfect situation in would be low-profile optical browns, but I'm not sure those even exist.
Either way, at this point I think the best option is simply to wait at least until October 9th, which is barely more than a week away to see if all of a sudden stock "refills" (like I said before, I think they're just not taking more orders until they finish their move).

Other than that, there are options from Akko like the 3108v2 or 3096 (which is similar to the Keychron K4). However Akko keyboards don't directly have macOS integration. Which matters a lot - at least in terms of headache. It's one of the reasons why I gave up my Das Keyboard 2 - 10 years ago. If you don't need to use macOS, then I actually think the Akko boards are better buys. At least in terms of reviews I've found with people have have used both.

So I was able to pickup a Keychron K1v4 full size with the low profile gateron browns. Got an alert via email and the crazy part is the RGB LED models sold out in 45 minutes - just before I pulled the trigger (and this was at 1:45AM!). So, I got a white LED model only, which honestly I probably wouldn't use RGB anyway - but I would've gotten in just to get it (it's only a $6 difference... honestly you might as well...) I didn't want to wait any longer though.
Shipping says it will get to the states from 7-10 business days. So, I'll maybe make a mini review in another thread after I get it. But I think there are really enough people talking about not only this particular board, but even this particular version (v4) of the board.

Last edited:
Back