Logitech G700 battery life

mobbmann

n00b
I just picked up a G700 and like the way it performs. However, there is one area that is a little puzzling to me and that is the battery life. I ran my G700 for about 8 hours in 500 mhz polling and max gaming and I went from a full charge, which is 3 green lights, to 1 green light which is apparently a low charge.

I'm going to wait and see how long it takes to actually run out since I've heard the mouse shows that it is low on power prematurely. Can other users of this mouse post how long their charge lasts from full charge to actually failure, what polling rate they are using and if they are in normal gaming or max gaming mode?

I'm trying the same thing, although I don't play games much (I just needed a nice mouse that went higher than 1200 dpi). I went from full charge to 1 bar in about 4-5 hours of use, but that was a day ago, and mouse still seems to be going strong on that last bar.

I wish Logitech hadn't abandoned the charging cradle, especially if it turns out that I have to plug this thing in every day or two. My 4 year old Revolution still gets well over a week on a single charge.

Right now I'm running it on the medium power savings, but will switch it to the lowest power setting after this test to see how much difference that makes. Has anyone had any major issues with the power saving feature?

edit: I just saw your other post about the charging cradle after I made the above comment!

The battery indicator is not accurate at all. I've had the mouse operate for far longer on 1 bar than when the top two bars disappeared. The performance mx mouse had this same issue.

I too read about the mouse having a lot of battery life left with only 1 light. After today, I agree. My mouse goes down to 1 light over the course of a couple of days, but then it seems to stay there a long time before going to the red "critical" battery light.

This is exactly the opposite of my Maxima, which takes forever to get down to 1/4 tank after a fill-up, but once I'm below that it seems like I'm getting 10mpg because it runs out fast, lol.

I can't imagine why anyone would prefer a charging cradle, since you can't use the mouse while it's charging. Give me a charging cable any day, even if the one that comes with the G700 is rather thick and stiff. Maybe they will reduce the bulk of the cable if the G700 v2 ever comes out, but it really doesn't bother me that much.

I am very impressed with the recharge time; I think the manual states that it can take 4-5 hours but I'm able to fully charge the mouse in just a couple of hours, depending on when I connect the cable.

All in all, I'm hard pressed to complain about the battery life when a wireless mouse performs like this. My VX Revolution and LX8 last much, MUCH longer on fresh batteries, but they do not have the features of this mouse and do not perform as well so sacrifices have to be made. You can't have everything. If this mouse had a charging cradle instead of the cable, I'd have to take off some major points. I love the fact that I can just connect the cable and continue to use the mouse while it's charging.

If this mouse had a charging cradle instead of the cable, I'd have to take off some major points. I love the fact that I can just connect the cable and continue to use the mouse while it's charging.

actually, if the mouse had a cradle you could put it in the cradle when done at night and just pick it up in the morning... with the way this thing lasts on a single charge you would litterally have to game for over 2 or 3 days straight to drain the battery and it only takes a few hours to fully charge.

Get a usb wall outlet adapter and you essentially have the same thing. They cost around $2.

actually, if the mouse had a cradle you could put it in the cradle when done at night and just pick it up in the morning... with the way this thing lasts on a single charge you would litterally have to game for over 2 or 3 days straight to drain the battery and it only takes a few hours to fully charge.

True, but that means unnecessary cycles on the battery...plus now I can game for over 2-3 days straight and plug it in for a few hours while still using it.

It's clearly personal preference; I guess there is no "best" but I prefer the cable.

Mine goes to 1 green light the first day but will go 2 -3 days more before I get the critical warning. I bought an extra set of batteries and a charger and change out the battery when it goes critical. You can get a set of 4 Eneloop's with charger for less then $20.

Just for the record, it's been a week since I last charged. I hit the red light about 3 days ago, but the mouse is still going. My usage is fairly light during the work week, but overall, I'd guesstimate 20-30 hours of non-gaming use so far. I have not switched the mouse off at all during this time.

Yeah, I think I'm just going to plug it in every 3 or 4 days. Ironicly my MX1000 was charged every night because I just put it back in it's cradle every night, and I never had problems with that battery. Too bad the Harmony remotes don't use AA, cuz I put my Harmony One in it's cradle every night and I seem to have to replace the stupid battery every year.

Ok so after a few weeks of using the mouse I've found the replaceable batteries solution with the eneloop batteries and a charger actually better than a charging cradle since the mouse lasts two and a half days under heavy gaming, or all day gaming. I almost plugged in my G-7 and craigslisted my G700 just because it was so different... boy am I glad I didnt.

This mous is fantastic, I've remapped the buttons to page forward and back and page up and page down the dpi switch on the fly is great and the mouse scroll switch on the fly is great also. To anyone thinking about getting one of these mice, get an eneloop charger with batteries for twenty dollars. there is a 4 charger and a 2 charger, I got the 2 charger since it charges faster and is cheaper and you always have 2 batteries in reserve... four batteries is a little overkill

Ok so after a few weeks of using the mouse I've found the replaceable batteries solution with the eneloop batteries and a charger actually better than a charging cradle since the mouse lasts two and a half days under heavy gaming, or all day gaming. I almost plugged in my G-7 and craigslisted my G700 just because it was so different... boy am I glad I didnt.

This mous is fantastic, I've remapped the buttons to page forward and back and page up and page down the dpi switch on the fly is great and the mouse scroll switch on the fly is great also. To anyone thinking about getting one of these mice, get an eneloop charger with batteries for twenty dollars. there is a 4 charger and a 2 charger, I got the 2 charger since it charges faster and is cheaper and you always have 2 batteries in reserve... four batteries is a little overkill

Exactly what I do. Have to change sometime between 2 and 4 days of use, depending on amount and type of usage. I wait until the red warning comes on and then change. From what I read on the Logitech Forum the batteries would probably last at least another day or so before the mouse completely quits. I agree with this as the battery voltage is still reading 1.25 volts when I change.

I'm not getting warnings from the drivers when the battery's getting weak. It just dies.

I'll probably do the charger thing. One of the things I loved most about the G7 was the battery swapping. I would actually look forward to the battery warning because ejecting the old battery and swapping into the new one felt to me exactly like a super-cool slow-mo reload scene in a John Woo flick. Eventually I got real good at doing it without even looking. I had my battery charger/USB station loaded port-down so that the fresh battery would pop right out into my hand..

I was considering returning the g700 for the first few days. I don't consider the battery thing an issue, I'm fine with picking up a charger.

But I think the g700 cannot even compare to the g7 for hand feel. After not using my g7 for about six months since it became unreliable, I was amzed how comfortable and natural the g7 felt in my hand when I pulled it out of the junk drawer for comparison. Plus, the finish. The g7 has a smooth finish that seems to vacuum suck to your palm and fingers. The g700 seriously feels slippery to me. I have this constant awareness of trying not to let it slip. It has to do with the weight and balance of it as well as the finish. If you put your finger on the side of the g700 and push it sideways, the mouse spins as it slides... Do the same to a g7... it will stay straight.

I wish I had bought a second g7 and just kept it in the box for when my first one died. I love the g700 but next to my Dell 3007 and Logitech Z5500s, I'd say the Logitech g7 is the most satisfying piece of tech I've ever owned.

You know what I don't understand?

On my VX Revolution, I wouldn't have to pop a new battery in for at least 3 months.

With this G700, my battery lasts a single day.

They both use a single AA. Same all-day usage with both. Wth!

Mine usually last around a week with a rechargeable battery then i charge it overnight when ever it goes dead.

great mouse btw

You know what I don't understand?

On my VX Revolution, I wouldn't have to pop a new battery in for at least 3 months.

With this G700, my battery lasts a single day.

They both use a single AA. Same all-day usage with both. Wth!

I have my g700 turned down to the lowest polling level and it still barely lasts a day and a half or so. it's quite annoying and I've gotten to having a battery always sitting on a charger to swap.

C

Yeah now that I've had the G700 for a year and half, I have come to love it all around as a mouse. But the battery life is really sad.

I'll probably do the charger thing. One of the things I loved most about the G7 was the battery swapping. I would actually look forward to the battery warning because ejecting the old battery and swapping into the new one felt to me exactly like a super-cool slow-mo reload scene in a John Woo flick. Eventually I got real good at doing it without even looking. I had my battery charger/USB station loaded port-down so that the fresh battery would pop right out into my hand..

HAHA yeah I always thought my buddy's G7 was awesome because of this. It's like slamming a new clip into your gun.

The G700 has a better battery life then it indicates. I just got it on Christmas and I've wanted this mouse since it was announced. The battery life indicator drops to 1 bar after a few hours of use, but then still works for another few days, just in case I bought a 8 pack of the same batteries that come with the mouse, screw plugging in a rechargeable mouse. I just cycle the batteries, or use them in some other devices I have around (again, too bad most of my remotes use AA).

ya, just got a g700 as a self xmas present and love it. Run it for 6-8 hours gaming sessions every day (charges imbetween) but seriously. Why does it matter? Is it so hard to charge every day (serious question) If you can run it for 8+ hours straight a day thats good enough in my books lol.

I have a charge cord on my desk, charges my mouse over night and my phone during the day when im home.

ya, just got a g700 as a self xmas present and love it. Run it for 6-8 hours gaming sessions every day (charges imbetween) but seriously. Why does it matter? Is it so hard to charge every day (serious question) If you can run it for 8+ hours straight a day thats good enough in my books lol.

I have a charge cord on my desk, charges my mouse over night and my phone during the day when im home.

Yeah I don't understand how these people have problems with the batteries.
I turn it off and charge it while I sleep and it lasts all day when I am awake. Even when I do a 12 hour gaming session it lasts the entire time.
I've been using it for over two years with the same battery and it still holds its charge fine.

2 and 1/4 years with my G700 and still using the enerloop battery that came with it. Battery life has decreased to about ten hours of use on a charge. Less if I do any gaming. I now have to plug it in for a charge every day whereas it was about every three days when I first got the mouse. No big deal, I could always buy a new battery. Just wish I could remember at least one single time to plug it in as part of my winding down routine at night. Absolutely love the mouse*, but not quite as much as my beloved old G7. Logitech G7 is the best mouse ever created, if you ask me.

* although it needs to be RMA'd for the unwanted double-click problem.

Back