Logitech G502 Gaming Mouse Gets an Upgrade

^^ Yup. First release with no RGB. Then release with RGB. Then release with who knows magical buttons and sensors. Then immediately release entire new line to replace.
Wash rinse repeat.

As someone who has originally moved from the G5, to the G500, to the G502. The mouse gets better not worse as they make it. I love my G502 and my G500 is still going strong. I take it with me when I game on my laptop.

Recommend them, and the fact Logitech has always gone above and beyond for me in the past when it comes to warranties.

I took the exact same upgrade path too, and I feel the same way about them. All 3 of them have been great mice, currently using the G502, sadly no clue where my old G500 went during college, and I still have my original G5 going strong with me here at work after 9+ years now?

Fantastic mice, always been a fan of this series and highly recommended.

How about a proper successor to the G700s? The G703 is just a G403 with wireless charging. No infinity wheel and far fewer buttons compared to the G700(s). I'm not a fan of the ambidextrous shape of the 900/903 for a wireless option.

I still have my old G500 as a backup. I think I need to clean inside the wheel area though. It doesn't scroll smoothly anymore.

That's what I'm using as well. It's a terrific mouse, but the sensor tech in it is pretty old and finding them these days can be troublesome and expensive.
All of the subsequent wireless mice they've made since then either have 2 shoulder thumb buttons or so many you can't tell them apart.
I'd simply like to see a wireless version of this new 502's design. It still has 4 thumb buttons and I like how they're offset so there is no mixing them up.

As someone who has originally moved from the G5, to the G500, to the G502. The mouse gets better not worse as they make it. I love my G502 and my G500 is still going strong. I take it with me when I game on my laptop.

Recommend them, and the fact Logitech has always gone above and beyond for me in the past when it comes to warranties.

I did the same upgrade path. The G500 was a definite improvement over the G5, but I found the G502 to be a step down.

The sensor may be better I guess? It never stood out to me when I made the switch. Going from G500 -> G502 I didn't notice much or any difference in tracking.

What I did notice was that it was a downgrade from a hand fit perspective for me, and the new weight cartridge design feels cheap.

I also hate the styling. I liked the old sedate design of the G500. The G502 looks like some sort of spiky spaceship, and the big illuminated LED G is an annoyance as well.

By all means, put a newer sensor in it, but I really want the shape, look and physical feel of the G500

I love some logitech mice, however now that I have transitioned to gaming in the living room near the spouse.. I had to invest in a silent click mouse. Lucky for me, some Chinese companies copied some logitech designs, except they made the clicks silent, and the mouse was like $7. It's been pretty damn solid for the past few months.

The dual clutch wheel mechanism is heavy and people always complain about weight. A G502 weight 121 grams and damn near everyone mentions how heavy it is. I’ve never felt a super light mouse would help me so I’m always surprised when people talk about a 4.3 ounce mouse like it’s a brick :)

What, do gamers have weak wrists or something?

Personally I love my mice heavy. Makes the motion more stable. I found when I moved to the G502 from my old G500, even with all the weights in it, the G502 felt light and flimsy compared to the G500. I didn't like it.

Hopefully they'll make a wireless version of that design someday. Right now they either have 2 thumb buttons...or like 40.

I don't understand why people like wireless so much.

I think it's just over-complicated and problematic. I'd take a wired mouse over a wireless one any day.

They forgot engineering principle #1: KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid. Having to have wireless pairing protocols, batteries, charging, etc. etc. etc. is infinitely more complex than a wired solution. The simplest design is always the best.

I think it's just over-complicated and problematic. I'd take a wired mouse over a wireless one any day.

They forgot engineering principle #1: KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid. Having to have wireless pairing protocols, batteries, charging, etc. etc. etc. is infinitely more complex than a wired solution. The simplest design is always the best.
Wireless mice are great! Wire gets in the way / gets caught on crap.

Wireless mouse is just as simple of a wired one really. Plug in receiver, turn on mouse, done. The logitech mice / other brands I've used over the years typically have a battery life of 10-14 days depending on use, you either drop it in a cradle or plug in the wire for an hour and it's good to go. I keep a 1 foot usb a cable for charging the mouse stored in my laptop cooler, plug it in once a week when I'm going to bed and it's fine.

Don't get me wrong, I like wired mice just as much, but have you tried gaming with a wired mouse on a couch, it gets caught on the fabric so dang easily.

I'm gaming via my couch on a TV, which is 15 feet away from my PC. Wired isn't really an option at that distance. Plus, wireless tech has come a long way. Batteries are no big deal. I just have a rotation of 4 Eneloops permanently charging that I swap out as needed. It only takes 10-15 seconds.

Wireless mice are great! Wire gets in the way / gets caught on crap.

Wireless mouse is just as simple of a wired one really. Plug in receiver, turn on mouse, done. The logitech mice / other brands I've used over the years typically have a battery life of 10-14 days depending on use, you either drop it in a cradle or plug in the wire for an hour and it's good to go. I keep a 1 foot usb a cable for charging the mouse stored in my laptop cooler, plug it in once a week when I'm going to bed and it's fine.

Don't get me wrong, I like wired mice just as much, but have you tried gaming with a wired mouse on a couch, it gets caught on the fabric so dang easily.

I'm gaming via my couch on a TV, which is 15 feet away from my PC. Wired isn't really an option at that distance. Plus, wireless tech has come a long way. Batteries are no big deal. I just have a rotation of 4 Eneloops permanently charging that I swap out as needed. It only takes 10-15 seconds.

Fair.

While I can't understand why anyone would want to game anywhere else than at a proper desk, I can certainly see how a wireless mouse would make couch gaming easier.

Fair.

While I can't understand why anyone would want to game anywhere else than at a proper desk, I can certainly see how a wireless mouse would make couch gaming easier.
Can't say I love it, but I've adapted over the years. It's either play for 30 mins to an hour at the desk in the office in various spurts.. or use my laptop, on the couch and build wife faction. As long as I give head nods / various interactions during shows I can play as long as she's watching her TV shows ;p

2 billion times THIS

It's almost as if someone should write Logitech :p

I'd take it in the same grey metallic pattern as the G500, with no goddamned RGB lights.

81tGjsWS1EL._SX425_.jpg

I liked my G5 too, but it was a little bland by comparison.

Actually. Odd. When googling I find G5's in different colors. Mine was strictly black and silver/grey in the center. I guess there were options. I still like the G500 the best. It's replacement, the G500s was not to my liking.

41EEnvJ01UL._SX425_.jpg

I haven't gamed at a desk for a long time. At this point, it has been 11 years. Once TV's started accepting VGA and especially HDMI inputs, I swapped over for good. It's a single-cable connection for both audio and video and it just plain works now. There's something magic about PC gaming on a big TV with surround sound. Finding good long-distance wireless mice hasn't always been easy, but the ones from Logitech tend to work well enough. The new models especially...even if I hate their button layouts.

It's almost as if someone should write Logitech :p

I'd take it in the same grey metallic pattern as the G500, with no goddamned RGB lights.

I liked my G5 too, but it was a little bland by comparison.

Actually. Odd. When googling I find G5's in different colors. Mine was strictly black and silver/grey in the center. I guess there were options. I still like the G500 the best. It's replacement, the G500s was not to my liking.

I currently have a G500 (black and silver-grey), plus I still have my G5 (black with textured blue wrinkle finish) - best mice I've ever used.

I currently have a G500 (black and silver-grey), plus I still have my G5 (black with textured blue wrinkle finish) - best mice I've ever used.

I'd still be using my G500 if the cable didn't start having an intermittent connection.

That said, when I finally replaced it the pattern on top was starting to wear out.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Ffarm9.staticflickr.com%2F8807%2F17715091426_d872785b24_o.jpg

First I tried a Steelseries Rival. In general I liked it, but it had some weird problem where the pointer would wander across the screen on its own, so I had to return it.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Ffarm8.staticflickr.com%2F7784%2F17756115676_799eb876ff_o.jpg

In the end, I replaced it with the G502, or as I like to call it, the Kill-O-Zap mouse.

Douglas Adams said:
The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with

51-92ecdmgL.jpg

I have to admit, it's really a quite good mouse, but I feel like I have a hybrid between a space ship and a crotch rocket on my desk, which really isn't my style. I've had 3 years to get used to it, and still don't quite like the design.

The pointiness and jagged parts are never in contact with your hand, so it isn't uncomfortable, but it is clearly made for someone with smaller hands than mine. The G500 fit me perfectly, this one feels like I am straining a little because my hands are too big. Maybe I'll get used to it.

It does have the addable weights like the G500 did, but for some reason they weigh less, so you can't add as much weight. Gone is the awesome cassette too, replaced with a kind of clunky door, and a friction grippyness on the bottom for you to squish them into. This aspect feels like a downgrade.

The extra buttons are actually in much more useable places than with the G500 though. This is a plus.

I have the current/previous(?) Gen.

It's an OK mouse. IMHO its predecessor, the G500 was much better. I held on toine until it wore out to the point where it old no longer be used.

Loved that thing.

If they brought it back, I'd buy it in a second. Heck, I'd buy 3 just to have a few spares.

View attachment 101191
I've still got one in virtually mint condition with an extended lead, I keep it as a spare.
It works great but not on my sofa, it needs a mouse pad.
Speaking of which:

Because gaming on the sofa is fantastic with lots of plump cushions, ultra comfy, lots of positions to sit in and very convenient.
I use my small screen when the projector is busy or the projector otherwise.
And there is a killer sound system in the living room, soon to be Atmos.
I use a Corsair wired mouse + extension on the sofa, works great.

I got the G502 Proteus Spectrum from BBes Buy on 8/24. Is it safe to assume I do NOT have the Hero sensor?

Got mine a few days ago. It’s freakin wonderful. Feels great, looks great and is 5gr light than my original g502.

Thumbs up.

Loved the G500 too. That's why I bought 3 at the time. About to retire the 1st one. Should be good until the G508 is released - which will likely be laser-carved from a solid block of RGB aluminum.

I still use my original launch day purchased G5 at work, my 502 is a great replacement. Wont be upgrading from this for a very long time. Only ditched the original G5 because it had only one thumb button.

What's the point of super high dpi? The highest I have mine set to is 9200 and I hardly ever take it that high. Frankly, the G502 is better than my G9x imho simply because of the better button placement. The tracking is also better, imho... but I do use the surface tuning feature.
I don't go above 2400, but bigger numbers sure sound better.

Like 8K TV. Most people sit so far away they won't be able to tell the difference (if they can even tell the difference between 1080p and 4K), but it's bigger so it's got to be better!

What's the point of super high dpi? The highest I have mine set to is 9200 and I hardly ever take it that high. Frankly, the G502 is better than my G9x imho simply because of the better button placement. The tracking is also better, imho... but I do use the surface tuning feature.

Back in the early days, there was some advantage to having higher resolution and sampling rate in hardware and lowering it in windows for smoother movement.

These days, the numbers have gotten so crazy that it is mostly a pointless measure. Even the lowest DPI mouse will do well. Sort of like the megapixel war when it comes to consumer digital cameras (and phones). Above a certain number it becomes pointless and just turns into a marketing battle over who can have the largest number!

Not sure about the love for this mouse. Cult icon, perhaos?
I absolutely love my G903. Best mouse I've ever owned! Wireless charging, wireless/wired use, what's not to love?

After my Corsair Scimitars middle button died a few weeks back I have been using my old G500 mentioned above.
... and the wire gave up, intermittent failure. Dammit.

So I bought a G502 Hero.
Easily the best mouse I have used on my sofa.
The Corsair worked well but would lose some dpi on the sofa.
The G502 H acts as though I am using a mouse pad, its quite amazing.
Hopefully this one will last 3 or more years. Please.

Back