Logitech G502 Gaming Mouse Gets an Upgrade

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Logitech has upgraded the world’s best-selling gaming mouse with its new “HERO 16k Sensor,” which marketing calls the highest performance and most accurate sensor available today. The new G502 is also said to include an upgraded mechanical switch good for 50 million clicks.

Featuring an all-new lens and updated tracking algorithm to deliver ultra-precise tracking with no acceleration, smoothing or filtering over the entire DPI range, Logitech G’s revolutionary HERO 16K sensor is capable of exceeding 400 IPS and delivering 16,000 DPI tracking with pixel-precise accuracy.

I wish it was shaped a bit more like the Mionix Naos 8200. While I like my 502 and 903, they just are not as comfortable as the 8200. Unfortunately, that clutched scroll wheel saves me so much time on a daily basis, that I accept the hand pain.

So they took a wildly popular item which everyone loved (parrtially because of the fantastic sensor), and replaced the sensor.

OKAY!

Could they make a new G5x that was actually shaped like the G5/G500?

Thx,
bye

I just upgraded from my MX1000 to a G703 with powerplay. I chose the 703 for the form factor. I just wish it had some of the same buttons as the MX1000.

I used to have a G500s but the buttons on it stopped working. Logitech replaced it under warranty with a G502 Proteus Spectrum. Took me a long time to get used to the smaller shape, feel, and heavier weight of the G502. I miss my G500s. Gawd damn though the optical sensor on the G502 is damn good (not that the G500s was lacking). I wonder how this new upgraded sensor feels. Gotta love mechanical mouse buttons. Apparently those got upgraded too. Nothing wrong with Logitech wanting to improve an existing product. Hope they didn't increase the price as well. My G502 goes up to 12K DPI which is already overkill for me, I can't even imagine 16K.

Hopefully they'll make a wireless version of that design someday. Right now they either have 2 thumb buttons...or like 40.

As someone who has originally moved from the G5, to the G500, to the G502. The mouse gets better not worse as they make it. I love my G502 and my G500 is still going strong. I take it with me when I game on my laptop.

Recommend them, and the fact Logitech has always gone above and beyond for me in the past when it comes to warranties.

I have a G500... I have repaired it about a dozen times in the last 7 years or so. Ive replaced the left click switch twice and repair both switches numerous times when they started to double click automatically. Ive also cut off an inch or so of the cable right next to the mouse where it has developed a short a couple times.

I guess I'm in the minority that I don't like the G502 as much. I feel like it just doesn't feel right in my hands. I don't get any use out of the thumb button because to rest my thumb there means the right side of my hand starts to hurt. Maybe i'm doing it wrong, I don't know.

New G9 wanted

YES!!!

The G9 was my first ever gaming mouse and is still about the top of my "all time" list. I would love for them to bring it back.

The G502 is no slouch tho. The only mouse I use more is my DeathAdder and that's only because it's the most comfortable on the market for my hand. The 502 isn't too bad but it's a little too thin for me. The sensor tho is literally surgical and has to be the best in the market. The button layout is damn near perfect too. Logitech really nailed it with the 502. I'm glad to see they're refreshing it as opposed to dumping it outright like they've done with so many of their great mice.

I have a G500... I have repaired it about a dozen times in the last 7 years or so. Ive replaced the left click switch twice and repair both switches numerous times when they started to double click automatically. Ive also cut off an inch or so of the cable right next to the mouse where it has developed a short a couple times.

Have you tried reaching out to Logitech for support? I've had issues in the past with mice years out of warranties, given its the only company i recommend for mice, they have replaced numerous mice that have been out of warranties for one or another without me having to foot any cost.

It's worth giving it a shot if you have to keep repairing it.

(they have even replaced laptop mice that have been introduced to water....free to...)

Just like Asus or other brands, not all warranty stories are the same. I've had a great time with Asus but sort of been left in the lurch with Logitech.
I can kill an MX Master scroll wheel auto-ratchet mechanism in a few days with heavy CAD... and after three mice they never fixed it, so I just don't use that feature.
Also if you like the G5x but want something more work orientated (that's still great for gaming), try the MX master. More buttons, bit bigger, great thumb support and the thumb button/wheel/etc area is great. It's an amazing multimedia mouse, easy to browse youtube with on the couch etc.

I just want over/under back and forward buttons like the G500 and G700 series has.

I still, to this day, don't get the uncomfortable thumb bending thumb buttons on all these mice. The Microsoft gaming mice had over/under too!

Does no one like these? Having two buttons right here your thumb rests? Is the convenience of it too inconvenient?

I might have to try one. My 303 is starting to double click..

I put my thumb under the buttons, but maybe i just have overly big hands?

Just like Asus or other brands, not all warranty stories are the same. I've had a great time with Asus but sort of been left in the lurch with Logitech.
I can kill an MX Master scroll wheel auto-ratchet mechanism in a few days with heavy CAD... and after three mice they never fixed it, so I just don't use that feature.
Also if you like the G5x but want something more work orientated (that's still great for gaming), try the MX master. More buttons, bit bigger, great thumb support and the thumb button/wheel/etc area is great. It's an amazing multimedia mouse, easy to browse youtube with on the couch etc.

LOL man it sounds like you are pretty "heavy fingered" - kill the scroll wheel in a few day? I working the shit out of my MX Master 2S daily too working on Creative Cloud Apps and Web Development projects but they still last me 2 years at least (based on the previous MX Performance mice). And yet, these mice are still usable after I decommission them for other members of the family. To be honest I only have the MX Master 2S for 8 months now and it is still going strong but I have set the scroll wheel to free spin mode since the beginning.

Come on Logitech..a New G7 wouldn't kill you. I need a new wireless twitchy mouse. I'm down to one battery and that thing is on its last legs. I can already detect the swelling starting, it is only a matter of time before it won't fit in the mouse anymore.

+1 for a 2018 G9x redo. Latest optics, latest 50,000 click buttons, same exact shape and weight as the ol’ G9x we love.

Still have 2 I’m using and trying to keep alive. The aftermarket Teflon feet breathed new life into both of them.

Best mouse ever made.
Ever replaced the cable on one? I replaced the cable on mine, but felt the mouse wasn't as accurate as it used it

+1 for a 2018 G9x redo. Latest optics, latest 50,000 click buttons, same exact shape and weight as the ol’ G9x we love.

Still have 2 I’m using and trying to keep alive. The aftermarket Teflon feet breathed new life into both of them.

Best mouse ever made.
Put 2 mice in one body

I have the current/previous(?) Gen.

It's an OK mouse. IMHO its predecessor, the G500 was much better. I held on toine until it wore out to the point where it old no longer be used.

Loved that thing.

If they brought it back, I'd buy it in a second. Heck, I'd buy 3 just to have a few spares.

81tGjsWS1EL._SX425_.jpg

So they took a wildly popular item which everyone loved (parrtially because of the fantastic sensor), and replaced the sensor.

OKAY!

This actually seems like a good approach. The mouse is fantastic and a lot of people aren’t going to want it to radically change. This is just a straight upgrade to an already good product without messing it up.

I bought a G502 a couple months ago for $50, I wish I had picked one up sooner it’s a big upgrade over my G9/Alienware mouse I had before.

They do, https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Logitech/PRO_Wireless_Gaming_Mouse/

And (for me) would have been perfect, except for whatever reason they didn't include the dual clutch, hyper-scroll wheel. I've been using mice with that, for what seems like a decade, and can't ever imagine using a mouse w/o it =/

The dual clutch wheel mechanism is heavy and people always complain about weight. A G502 weight 121 grams and damn near everyone mentions how heavy it is. I’ve never felt a super light mouse would help me so I’m always surprised when people talk about a 4.3 ounce mouse like it’s a brick :)

Last edited:
This actually seems like a good approach. The mouse is fantastic and a lot of people aren’t going to want it to radically change. This is just a straight upgrade to an already good product without messing it up.

I bought a G502 a couple months ago for $50, I wish I had picked one up sooner it’s a big upgrade over my G9/Alienware mouse I had before.

I guess my point was that one of the main things people loved about the 502 was the sensor - it is/was fantastic. Great tracking, no stutters or weird accelation, very predictable outcomes.
Higher DPI doesn't improve any of that (has anyone run these anywhere near those DPI settings?), and there is of course a possibility of not tracking as well as the previous.

<shrug> I guess I should have more faith in Logi that this sensor is at worst a lateral move.

Thx,
bye
g403 is pretty close. i have one, but I am about to RMA it because the damn scroll wheel is malfunctioning...

Thx,
bye
I have the current/previous(?) Gen.

It's an OK mouse. IMHO its predecessor, the G500 was much better. I held on toine until it wore out to the point where it old no longer be used.

Loved that thing.

If they brought it back, I'd buy it in a second. Heck, I'd buy 3 just to have a few spares.

View attachment 101191

Yeah, I don't really care much with sensor they use (within reason), but I had both the original G5 and the G500 and they fit my hand better than any other mouse I've ever had.

The weight cartridge was also sexy as all hell. (Not that I ever used it much, I just loaded it up full weight and let ti sit there, I like heavy mice, but the cartridge was much better designed than the G502x design.

I'd love having a new version of the G5/G500 but with a more modern sensor. Heck, I'd even take the old sensor. I just want that mouse in my hand.

What's the point of super high dpi? The highest I have mine set to is 9200 and I hardly ever take it that high. Frankly, the G502 is better than my G9x imho simply because of the better button placement. The tracking is also better, imho... but I do use the surface tuning feature.

The dual clutch wheel mechanism is heavy and people always complain about weight. A G502 weight 121 grams and damn near everyone mentions how heavy it is. I’ve never felt a super light mouse would help me so I’m always surprised when people talk about a 4.3 ounce mouse like it’s a brick :)

Just out of curiosity, I just checked the weight of mine and it comes in at 161, so that g502 would actually be lighter for me :p

How about a proper successor to the G700s? The G703 is just a G403 with wireless charging. No infinity wheel and far fewer buttons compared to the G700(s). I'm not a fan of the ambidextrous shape of the 900/903 for a wireless option.

I still have my old G500 as a backup. I think I need to clean inside the wheel area though. It doesn't scroll smoothly anymore.

Back