Logitech G500s, anybody experience a high frequency squealing noise?

clownshoes

Limp Gawd
My trusty MX518 is on its last leg (held together by my shoddy soldering job) so I picked up a G500s when they were on sale at amazon for 39.99 a week or two ago.

I'm getting used to the G500s and like the way it feels in my hand and tracks. The problem is that it emits a high frequency electronic squealing noise when I'm not moving it around. I originally thought it wouldn't be a big deal but it gets incredibly annoying whenever I'm using it for more than a few minutes at a time.

Are there any other G500s owners out there who've experienced this problem? Has anybody exchanged a G500s that exhibits this issue for another that doesn't have the problem? I'd prefer to just exchange the mouse for another, but obviously this won't do me much good if every mouse has the issue.

Any suggestions or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have a G500 that makes a quiet squeal.
Its not a problem unless the room is dead silent.

Are you using it an a usb 3.0 port or non powered usb hub? Try going USB 2.0 straight off the MB.

I have a G500 that makes a quiet squeal.
Its not a problem unless the room is dead silent.

Yeah, I think I'm just extra sensitive to this sort of thing. I've had several PSUs that emit the same sort of sound and my friends think I'm insane because most of them can't even hear it.

Are you using it an a usb 3.0 port or non powered usb hub? Try going USB 2.0 straight off the MB.

Thanks for the suggestion. I do have the mouse plugged directly into a USB 2.0 port straight off the motherboard. I'll try playing around with different ports though when I get back later today.

Yes, I've heard several complaints about noise from the G500 mouse.

The one I have would squeal a bit when it was being moved.

The high-pitched squealing seems to be a recurring problem with Logitech mice. See more info here. Not sure about the G500 specifically, but many of the other models have the same problem.

I had to get rid of a MX518 because the noise got louder over time, and eventually I couldn't stand to be in the same room with it. Other copies of the MX518 I've checked all had the same problem to varying extents, though none were free of it. Have since gotten a Razer Imperator, though I can't recommend it because of the failure rate. The Razer is completely silent though.

The noise frequency appears to be at the high end of perceptible hearing, meaning that only some people (particularly those who are younger or with good hearing) can hear it. This sometimes makes it difficult to convince others that the problem is in fact real.

Please let us know if you get a noise-free copy, or find something else worthwhile.

Back