Logitech G500s - $40 - Best Buy

Have the G400S which I paid $40 for and is a great mouse.

I may pick this up and throw my G400S into my laptop bag.

People say this mouse has input lag. lol from a gaming mouse really? Logitech has been falling apart in recent years. $40 would be a great price if it was the G500.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE YOU BUY!

K i thought you meant that they had G500's. I got a G500 and the braided cord was all destroyed when i took the brand new mouse out of the box.. LOL

i got home and took some scissors to it

I have the G500 not G500s, I'm using it right now and I've been using it for 2 years. It does not have any discernible input lag and I can dominate twitch FPS games without issue. However I would not buy it again due to poor ergonomics (I have a large hand, long fingers), middle click is way too stiff and awkward to use for any gaming purposes, and the fact it tends to pick up dirt like crazy, both on the mouse and inside the housing for the laser causing frequent cleanings mid game. Its the mouse for sure because I've tested several other mice in the same position and under same conditions and none of them are quite as "sticky" at picking up debris as the G500. Something about the grip coating and overall design which includes way too many little crease lines and tight crevices, methinks.

Same way I fell about my G500. Just too small for my hand for me. I miss the mice that had a pinky and your thumb rest for each side. One day I shall find a proper fitting mouse.

I have the G500 not G500s, I'm using it right now and I've been using it for 2 years. It does not have any discernible input lag and I can dominate twitch FPS games without issue. However I would not buy it again due to poor ergonomics (I have a large hand, long fingers), middle click is way too stiff and awkward to use for any gaming purposes, and the fact it tends to pick up dirt like crazy, both on the mouse and inside the housing for the laser causing frequent cleanings mid game. Its the mouse for sure because I've tested several other mice in the same position and under same conditions and none of them are quite as "sticky" at picking up debris as the G500. Something about the grip coating and overall design which includes way too many little crease lines and tight crevices, methinks.

People say this mouse has input lag. lol from a gaming mouse really? Logitech has been falling apart in recent years. $40 would be a great price if it was the G500.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE YOU BUY!

Got home with it today and it works perfectly fine.

Are you referring to this? Link.

That was in earlier to mid 2013. Maybe they made a new batch/revision because the one I am using RIGHT now is working fine. I've played about two 45 minutes matches in LOL and haven't noticed any input lag.

I been using the G500 for over three years now? And it's by far the best mouse I ever had. I have the G600 and Razor Naga in a box lol

I thought the G500s was just the G500 with a new ugly shell o__o

I been using the G500 for over three years now? And it's by far the best mouse I ever had. I have the G600 and Razor Naga in a box lol

I thought the G500s was just the G500 with a new ugly shell o__o

That is what it should have been I have no clue how it got more messed up. The G500 had some minor acceleration issues. And many people were hoping the G500s would simply take the G500 remove the acceleration and it would be a home run. Somehow Logitech screwed that up. And its too bad because my entire house with 7+ mice had gone almost entirely over to Logitech after poor quality razer mice were dying. And now they have me looking at alternatives bought a steel series recently to try.

That was in earlier to mid 2013. Maybe they made a new batch/revision because the one I am using RIGHT now is working fine. I've played about two 45 minutes matches in LOL and haven't noticed any input lag.

That is one of several threads on the issue. And the last post on there from 2014 claims a fix they released did not fix the problem.
Maybe you are right maybe not I tend to error on the side of caution because I have personally witnessed many times when people say something works fine but it does not. Remember for the better part of a decade almost everyone was working with non NKRO keyboard and most of those people thought they worked fine. Basically I would want to see more than a single persons anecdote. Even with the lag some people never noticed it just like some don't know their G500 has accel. Some say the lag is caused by drivers, so if you just don't install them the mouse works fine. But until I see definite and repeated solutions I wouldn't be a buyer.

Last edited:
I got one to replace my G500 a few weeks ago. Newegg was having some sort of deal where it was $45 and you also got a free K120 keyboard (nothing noteworthy, but I needed a backup keyboard).

I don't have any issues with it. The lag in the video is horrendous and I would notice something like that. It's absolutely nothing like that for me.

The lag in that video is fixed now. I got one of these a few months back from another sale and do not have any problems with it. Upgraded from an old G9 (non X version). It is a nice upgrade, and I prefer the feel of the G500s over the G9.

The G500 is by far the best mouse I have ever owned, I have carpal tunnel and it's the only one that doesn't hurt my wrist.

i went from a g5 to the g500s and went back to my g5. the g500s material were my thumb and pinky lay on is very slippery its not like the rubber material used on the g5 instead they use some rough sand paper type material that is very slippery i hated it.

I couldnt be happier with the 500s. This is my first "mouse" I've ever used for gaming since my 14+ year old Trackman Marble+ started to degrade. I do not have input lag issues with my purchases from Oct 2013, nor the two extras I purchased when they hit $40 @ Amazon in Dec 2013. I am using one at work, and 1 at home with a spare.

My only gripe is that the grippy surface has worn off slightly where my thumb and 4th finger rest. I haven't experienced that with my replacement purchased 2 months later (yet). This has happened after only 200 hours gameplay. The extra one I got, currently has only 100 hours or so, but I havent seen any abnormal wear patters.

Same way I fell about my G500. Just too small for my hand for me. I miss the mice that had a pinky and your thumb rest for each side. One day I shall find a proper fitting mouse.

Tried a R.A.T 7 yet? I'm extremely happy with mine. So much so I just replaced my MX Revolution with a R.A.T 3 for my daily computer about 3 weeks ago. :D Yes it doesn't have the pinky rest being a R.A.T 3 but it does have the thumb rest and is rather comfortable still for browsing the web etc.

This is smaller than the mx 518 right?

I'm curious about this too. Still using my MX518 and think it's the most comfortable mouse ever. If this is about the same size, then I may buy it since the feet on my 518 are wore off and the right mouse button has developed a slight double-click feeling.

Tried a R.A.T 7 yet? I'm extremely happy with mine. So much so I just replaced my MX Revolution with a R.A.T 3 for my daily computer about 3 weeks ago. :D Yes it doesn't have the pinky rest being a R.A.T 3 but it does have the thumb rest and is rather comfortable still for browsing the web etc.

A friend gifted me a RAT 5 and the ergonomics on it are pretty bad for me. I think mostly due to there was nowhere for my pinky to grip the mouse and I like to rest my palm on the mouse and the RAT didn't feel right for that no matter how I adjusted it.

I think the G500 is a bit shorter and a bit taller. The G500 is also heavier. It felt weird at first but I got used to the new weight within a week. I have both and I'll post some pictures of them side by side when I get home.

My MX518 is about 8 years old and still works great. I'm using it right now with my laptop. I've had my G500 for over 3 years and haven't had a single problem.

That is what it should have been I have no clue how it got more messed up. The G500 had some minor acceleration issues. And many people were hoping the G500s would simply take the G500 remove the acceleration and it would be a home run. Somehow Logitech screwed that up. And its too bad because my entire house with 7+ mice had gone almost entirely over to Logitech after poor quality razer mice were dying. And now they have me looking at alternatives bought a steel series recently to try.

That is one of several threads on the issue. And the last post on there from 2014 claims a fix they released did not fix the problem.
Maybe you are right maybe not I tend to error on the side of caution because I have personally witnessed many times when people say something works fine but it does not. Remember for the better part of a decade almost everyone was working with non NKRO keyboard and most of those people thought they worked fine. Basically I would want to see more than a single persons anecdote. Even with the lag some people never noticed it just like some don't know their G500 has accel. Some say the lag is caused by drivers, so if you just don't install them the mouse works fine. But until I see definite and repeated solutions I wouldn't be a buyer.

The issue has been resolved with a firmware update. I would suspect anyone with the issue after a flash likely needs to do RMA. All currently shipping mice have the firmware pre-installed. However, anyone purchasing this mouse should be proactive and check Logitech's website to learn how to check and/or update the firmware in the event the merchant you purchased from was clearing old stock. Bigger merchants such as Amazon, Newegg, Microcenter, etc. should not have this problem.

I purchased a G500s from Microcenter in Overland Park, KS a month ago. I have put 20 hours of FPS gaming on it per week since I purchased it. Having researched mice before my purchase, I knew about the lag issue and the firmware update. I was also aware of the whining noise that some poeple hear (my old G500 had this issue too but went away after a couple months), and my G500s did not exhibit the problem. Mine shipped with the latest firmware pre-installed and has exhibited no issues.

might go get one right now.. haven't used a wired mouse in a few years.. but should compliment my tt esports posiden (I missed the USPS delivery today so i will reschedule delivery tomorrow).

just picked up. I like it so far. This free-scrolling wheel will take some time for me to get used to, since it doesn't have a resistance feel, it will easily scroll my pages when i dont want it to.

just picked up. I like it so far. This free-scrolling wheel will take some time for me to get used to, since it doesn't have a resistance feel, it will easily scroll my pages when i dont want it to.

Click the button directly beneath it to lock it to normal.

Every Best Buy in the state except the one close to my house has these in stock.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

My mistake. Lengthwise they're the same or pretty damn close. The G500 however has a wider base on the left side for your thumb to rest on more comfortably. The G500 also has bigger buttons and the scroll wheel is raised more.

The lighting in my room isn't very good but you can make out the shapes of the mice.
L2bxk3u.jpg

l8a3WC1.jpg

Sweet, thanks for the comparison pics, W4ffles. If I'm in town this week, I may swing by BB to pick one of these up. My MX518 looks about as worn as yours, hah.

Click the button directly beneath it to lock it to normal.

awesome thanks.. haha i just realized that when i was messing with that button "What the heck does this do??" ... than i scrolled the wheel lol

I've used a MX510 to an MX518 (MX510 is heavier because of a weight they omitted in the MX518), then to a G5 (Very Similar to the original MX510 when the weights are installed, more like the MX518 without them), then back to the MX518 (G5 cable failed), then to a G500 (Slightly taller, better thumb grip, Loved the hyper scroll wheel, never felt like it tracked properly though), back to the MX518 (Cable failed again), onto the SteelSeries Sensei (MX518 cable finally failed...Great Tracking, simiar shape to the MX series just alittle less contoured on the sides, but crap paint and TERRIBLE service) and since I've now RMA'd my Sensei, I'm rocking the MX518 with my MX510's cable and weight. Might not use the Sensei when I get it back. :D

No issues with my G500s. No whining, no lag. Mouse works great. And going from a MX518 (I still have one BNIB) to this G500s was very easy. Same mouse , just more options.

Does this have the hard texture for the thumb? It is definitely different from a Deathadder or Mionix.

Well that's good, but it did when I had my G5. How is there gaming software though?

If you don't install it, your'e not missing much. You can, and it enables some auto-updating and macro or button-assignment management. But for standard use, it's not necessary.

If you don't install it, your'e not missing much. You can, and it enables some auto-updating and macro or button-assignment management. But for standard use, it's not necessary.

I like it so I can manually set the DPI settings as well as enable more than the standard 3.

I like it so I can manually set the DPI settings as well as enable more than the standard 3.

You can uninstall the software and the settings will still work. I installed the software when I first got my G500. After I reformatted I haven't used it since. My 5 DPI settings from 3+ years ago are still on the mouse.

The nice thing is that when you set different DPI profiles using the software they're stored on the mouse. So if you don't care for the button remapping or macros, you can do that once and uninstall the software.

Back