Logitech G500 vs Razer Deathadder 3500

SylarPowers

[H]ard|Gawd
I ordered the Razer Deathadder 3500 Mouse, but cancelled right away and ordered up the Logitech G500 Mouse instead. The online store made a mistake and sent me both, so now I get another opportunity to pick. Which to keep and which to send back. Any thoughts anyone?

Hmmm...which mouse are you upgrading from? The G500 looks nice and has the tried and true G5 shape with a few more frills, though I've read reports of the rubber peeling off after some use and the wheel being hard to press straight down (some users say it's easy to register a left or right MMB click instead).

I own an original DeathAdder and like it a lot. Not much to complain about, and it should be even better with the new sensor. But it definitely has a different feel than the G5/G500. Which shape is more comfortable to you?

As someone who owns both a G5 v.2 and DA, both of these mice are intriguing to me so I'm interested in knowing which one you decide to keep. I like things about both mice but ultimately end up using my G9 and MX 518 the most!

The G500 is supposed to have the better sensor (ADNS-9500). It's said to be quite a leap over older laser tech. I'm waiting on delivery of a G9x which uses the same sensor so can't comment on it myself yet. Really though, it mostly comes down to which feels better in use.

Well I owned a G5v2 before. It was the best mouse eva until the G5v2 cable broke off on me (not completly, just enough to not work)! I was very rough on it, but it's the simple fact that the G5v2 can bend at hard angles whereas the Razer had more of a protected sheath design. Dropped it a bunch, so YMMV.

Plus that fabric cord was fraying (now they both have it) so I bought the Razer Deathadder v1. It was an awesome mouse as well, but I did miss the G5v2's shape a bit. I gave that Deathadder away to my mouseless grandmom so I could have a reason to upgrade =)

Nice to hear the G500 has upgraded to a far better sensor, as I liked the Deathadder more for general computer use due to its slightly smoother infrared sensor. The Deathadder also had a nicer wheel than the G5v2, but now the G500 has that smooth dual mode mouse wheel.

So I think it boils down to a slightly nicer body feel for the G500 and a slightly nicer wheel/side buttons (potentually) for the Deathadder 3500. Might keep both, just to be sure. If I do, I will be sure to post my experiences. Never got the chance to really game on them yet as I was a hardcore console gamer in the past. Modern Warfare 2 for the PC will be my first real PC game.

Tried the G9 for a day, didn't like the shape at all or how the body covers fitted on top. Didn't give it a full chance, but I don't think it would grow on me.

BTW, ordered up the Razer Megasoma Mousepad, first impressions are as Borat would say... Naiceeee!

Last edited:
I opened the Razer 3500. Here are some random thoughts:

1. It has a nice feeling cord that does not look like it will fray easy.

2. In person the overall look and feel is awesome, it impresses with it's rich pulseing blue glow. It's like Batman's mouse. I remember liking the G5v2's overall shape a bit more, it just craddles your hand a bit more, but I also feel this Razers grip poise plus it's lighter mass makes for a more nimble mouse. But not to an extreme like the G9 was in my hands, which felt like it gave up too much craddling.

3. The wheel smoothness is better than I remember and feels great. It's quiet and fun to spin, great for web pages. It only has a middle click, there is no left and right wheel buttons to mis-click. The side and main buttons have a excellent feel and positioning to them, though I liked the G5v2's ever so slightly more.

4. Brand matching on my Razer Megasoma gives me a warm fuzzy feeling for no good reason at all. The contrast of these two product's colors makes for a cool look. The Razer Megasoma is my second gaming mousepad, my first was the Func pad. The Megasoma wins hands down and is more flexible for moving it around. The Megasoma is the best of both worlds, between a soft and hard mousepad. No performance issues at all, but I have little to compare it to really. Would buy again.

5. If the G500 has any fatal flaws, I would be happy with the Deathadder 3500.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. So you're going to try both?

Oh, and if you haven't purchased MW2 yet, please reconsider! There is a general boycott of the PC version in the Gaming forum because the devs are obviously favoring consoles (which is a trend we really wish they'd buck), and there's this.

For MW2 I was planning on a Steam purchase, rather than starting a yet another disc collection, so bad disc production will not affect me personally. I'm ready to go disc-less by now, clear my shelves of physical media, but of course I don't want too much hassle with DRM. Steam seems like a good way to go for my PC games. I'm a PS3 and console fan myself, I would most likely buy MW2 for that if I didn't want to get my new XFX 5850 a game to chew on. I wanted to try an FPS with a mouse for a change as this is my first gaming capable PC. I have to get a version of it, it's too good to miss out on completely. Just how are they slacking in the PC version? Are you talking about the limits on multiplayer being the same as the console's version? They seem to say on that score that they want a balenced map design. I like balenced gameplay. Please post if you have another issue with the PC version, I would be interested in hearing you out.

So yea, I will be trying both Mice. What the hell. Bought a nice Filco Tenkeyless Tactile Touch Keyboard from Elitekeyboards.com. Just need a my Silverstone FT02 PC Case (it's coming out this month) and I am set. Though I only have 3GBs of RAM on my i7 system. I hear RAM is set to go up by as much as another 30%... yes again. It already went up like 15%.

Well, I think one of the major complaints is Infinity Ward's decision to abandon dedicated servers for MW2. I don't play a lot of multiplayer games for PC (TF2 mainly) but from what I gather, players are concerned that this will lead to laggier games due to higher ping times, as well as a much higher probability of cheating and issues stemming from everyone wanting the host advantage.

The full thread can be viewed here. It stinks when developers cater to consoles and the PC version gets neutered or "consolified," so many people are choosing to not purchase MW2 to send the devs a message.

Keep in mind there is a plethora of other games that would give your 5850 a workout...Borderlands, Fallout 3, Dead Space, etc. In the end it's your decision though, and you'll purchase MW2 for PC if that's what you're intent on doing. I won't try to talk you out of it any more; the guys in the MW2 threads are the ones who are really keeping up with the nuances of the different versions and if you want to read about possible concerns with the PC version you'll find them there. :)

Well, I think one of the major complaints is Infinity Ward's decision to abandon dedicated servers for MW2. I don't play a lot of multiplayer games for PC (TF2 mainly) but from what I gather, players are concerned that this will lead to laggier games due to higher ping times, as well as a much higher probability of cheating and issues stemming from everyone wanting the host advantage.

The full thread can be viewed here. It stinks when developers cater to consoles and the PC version gets neutered or "consolified," so many people are choosing to not purchase MW2 to send the devs a message.

Keep in mind there is a plethora of other games that would give your 5850 a workout...Borderlands, Fallout 3, Dead Space, etc. In the end it's your decision though, and you'll purchase MW2 for PC if that's what you're intent on doing. I won't try to talk you out of it any more; the guys in the MW2 threads are the ones who are really keeping up with the nuances of the different versions and if you want to read about possible concerns with the PC version you'll find them there. :)

I currently own a PS3 and this Gaming PC I just built, so in the end I'll buy game accordingly. Seems from a bit of skimming online that MW2 is more designed and suited to my PS3 collection - so I can just buy it for that and perhaps find a more aggressive PC FPS to buy for my new Gaming PC. Thanks for the heads up.

Here is what I fail to see - Regardless of any legacy, MW2 is a Console FPS design wise. Ok sad, but not buying its port for PC is going to change their mind next time? Hell, they might just skip PC next time. I don't think they care about PC as they already voted with their development dollars. But honestly I did not expect my PC to surplant my PS3 love, just complement it with FPS games, Starcraft II, Diablo III, Bioware games, Bioshock 1-2, etc.

More excited about Uncharted 2 and God of War 3 than this MW2 crysis, so I'm kinda more of a console guy. Had a good time with MW1 on PS3 though.

Last edited:
Alright, so I decided that the Deathadder 3500 was working out so well, I'm just going to send back the unopened G500. I know, not the comparision you were hoping for. I can see and feel the G500 threw that form fitting plastic and even click a few buttons, didn't seem worth $60 just to try it. Plus I don't think the G500 has anything on my Deathadder 3500 personally. Looks wise I definatly don't think so. I don't think that would have been the case if I tried the G500 first. In any event, my Deathadder 3500 seems perfect to me. YMMV.

I also currently own both an original DeathAdder and a G500 mouse. I got the G500 for $44 from a Dell home office 25% sale for logitech equipment, I had been wanting to try a logitech mouse to compare to for a while.

Please realize that I had been using the DeathAdder for a long time before I ever got the G500. So it is my default choice. That said, here are a few notes of things I've noticed between the 2 mice.
  • The G500 is definately a heavier mouse by default without any weights in it. I currently am running it without any weights at all.
  • The G500 side buttons don't compare to the ease of the DeathAdder's . But I don't find them as bad or difficult to use as some reviews might suggest.
  • The surface textures of each mouse is totally unique. The DeathAdder has glossy smooth sides and a light rubber coated middle for your palm and L/R clicker fingers. The G500 has a rough sandpaper like side texture with a very smooth middle section for palm and L/R clicker fingers. After using both, and switching back and forth repeatedly I have come to like the DeathAdder's surface better. (Even though initially I thought the G500 felt better, when used the smooth middle surface makes it slip out of my hand.)
  • I also found the DPI on the G500 to be either too low at level 2, or much too high at level 3. Since then I've been able to match its speed up through drivers with my DeathAdder pretty accurately but I can't help but wish the level 2 setting stock on the mouse was a bit higher. (I'm at a down graded level 3 now.)
  • On clicking and click feel, I still have to give it to the DeathAdder. It's just a solid and more encompassing feeling. The G500 never seems to really integrate itself with my sense of touch. Again, the caveat that I'm already well use to the DeathAdder but I've tried to give the G500 a chance and still continue to try it as I have no intention of sending it back. (I don't mind having an extra mouse around.) The actual click feeling is fine, but it just feels like I'm telling it to click instead of just clicking myself, if that makes any sense.
  • On the shape of each mouse, the front slopes seem to be about the same, with the DeathAdder's cradle for each finger I'd say it pulls a bit ahead here. Where things get a bit more interesting is in the back and the middle hump of each mouse. The DeathAdder has its main hump in just about the very middle of the full length of the mouse, where the G500's hump feels much more subdued because of an extra bulge in the back of the mouse in the place where it contacts your lower palm. This makes the back of the G500 feel much fuller to your hand, where the DeathAdder just has a straight slope down to the mat. Furthermore, my 2 smallest fingers seem to wrap around and even tuck in a bit on the outer most side of the G500. Versus how they just seem to rest on the side of the DeathAdder.
  • Lastly, the scroll wheel. I don't have a clear winner here. The DeathAdder's scrolling is more controls and deliberate. The G500's scrolling is fast, or extremely fast. Both have their own applications and times when best used. The G500's smooth scrolling when the stopper is depressed is pretty nice though. Especially if you ever deal in long documents or long webpages. You can flick it and let it spin for like 5-15 seconds.
My final thoughts leave me satisfied with my DeathAdder overall. I will try to supply some pictures of some of the topics I have mentioned when I have time.

Last edited:
[*]I also found the DPI on the G500 to be either too low at level 2, or much too high at level 3. Since then I've been able to match its speed up through drivers with my DeathAdder pretty accurately but I can't help but wish the level 2 setting stock on the mouse was a bit higher. (I'm at a down graded level 3 now.)

I don't know anything about the Adder mouse so I can't make any comparisons, but the G500 default settings are horrible. The first thing you need to do is turn off acceleration and set the DPI to 5 levels of adjustment. For gaming try setting levels at 5700,4800,3600,2800,1600. Those are the settings I run at 1920x1200, adjust them as you need. Turning off acceleration will make the mouse alot more accurate and responsive.

Turning off acceleration was one of the first changes I made once in the drivers.

Thanks for the tip though, it definitely made a difference when I first tried it. I'll have to look into the 5 levels setup. However, I currently have both mice at work (I have another DeathAdder at home for my personal use) so I haven't tried the G500 in a game at all.

Is 'on the fly' DPI switching really that big of a deal? I never use mice for DPI switching, I stick with one sensitivity, get used to it, and use the buttons to talk on vent & play/pause music instead.

Is 'on the fly' DPI switching really that big of a deal? I never use mice for DPI switching, I stick with one sensitivity, get used to it, and use the buttons to talk on vent & play/pause music instead.

It's nice to be able to switch DPI levels when you're playing an FPS, as lower DPI settings tend to make it easier to snipe (I can't imagine trying to snipe accurately at 4,000+ dpi). Then just switch back to a higher DPI for general movement, since low DPIs make quick turns difficult.

It's also handy when switching between games, since different games have various mouse sensitivities. By having a DPI adjustment on the mouse, you never have to fool with the in-game mouse settings in the menus.

I don't use Photoshop but I also imagine it might be nice for people to run a higher DPI for general OS use and then quickly step down to a lower DPI for more precise image/graphics work.

It's nice in these gay FPSes like Bioshock and MW2 that are ported so poorly from the console versions and you don't have precise control over your sensitivity.

I have a G500 in the mail right now and i didn't think much of it till i read one little review on newegg about the laser sensor being in the front. He said it will throw you off from a normal mouse with a sensor in the middle when playing a FPS. Some more opinions on this thought would be great because my G7 recently died and i really liked the shape. In addition to someone above, you can customize the DPI settings I think if it has the same software as my G7. My G7 had 2000,1000, and 800 (which i used for FPSes). Thanks for any feed back.

I have a G500 in the mail right now and i didn't think much of it till i read one little review on newegg about the laser sensor being in the front. He said it will throw you off from a normal mouse with a sensor in the middle when playing a FPS. Some more opinions on this thought would be great because my G7 recently died and i really liked the shape.

Funny, I came to the same conclusion. I haven't noticed it affect my gaming very much, but it did feel a little odd when in Windows (especially when trying to accurately position the cursor over a small area to click something, like the forum page numbers for instance). I do wish the sensor was more towards the middle like my G5 and G9, as I just find movement a bit more natural with them and I wouldn't have to make any adjustments...but otherwise the mouse is great.

This thread is where I first commented on the issue, and dj_taboo noticed it too. I'm sort of surprised the more people haven't commented on this yet.

Funny, I came to the same conclusion. I haven't noticed it affect my gaming very much, but it did feel a little odd when in Windows (especially when trying to accurately position the cursor over a small area to click something, like the forum page numbers for instance). I do wish the sensor was more towards the middle like my G5 and G9, as I just find movement a bit more natural with them and I wouldn't have to make any adjustments...but otherwise the mouse is great.

This thread is where I first commented on the issue, and dj_taboo noticed it too. I'm sort of surprised the more people haven't commented on this yet.

That's great it doesn't affect gaming much, I hope the same for me. I don't have time to get used to a new mouse. Thanks for the input I'll post my results when i receive mine ;).

What kind of "smooth"? G5ish or MX518ish?

More like the G5. It's not rough, but it's not as glass-smooth as the MX518. That could be a pro or a con (the ultra-smooth surface of the MX518 is prone to pick up grime).

I'v recently got G500 and man... i am dissapointed. I should probably get DA instead.

Back