Logitech G500 or MX 518?

Angry

Limp Gawd
Im in need of a new mouse here soon, and hoping to improve my FPS skill...
Which one do you guys think would be best?

Logitech G500

or

Logitech MX 518

Both of them wired...

Im upgrading from one of these things...its worn smooth and has been repaired a few times...
OLD POS

palm grip - g500
fingertip grip - mx518

Why does the grip differ on two mice with almost the exact same upper shell?

Yes, they are slightly different but hard to tell. The mousewheel and thumb buttons are different. The sensors and where they are positioned on the bottom are different (G500 sensor is under the fingertips, 518 sensor is bottom center). But the upper shell are so similar that I don't see why one would be palm grip and the other would be claw...

FWIW I palm grip both the G500 and MX518. I prefer the mousewheel with selectable 'click' or 'freewheel' on the G500. I prefer the thumb buttons on the MX518. I'm not sold on the laser sensor - I think I prefer the optical sensor on the MX518 TBH but not enough to kick my G500 to the curb...

Amazon has a nice price on the MX518: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Perf...1M50/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290900261&sr=8-1
$25 and free shipping.
Newegg has a nice price on the G500: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104318&cm_re=g500-_-26-104-318-_-Product
$35 and free shipping.

In the end recommending a mouse is kinda like trying to recommend the best shoes or underpants to wear - everyone has a personal preference that differs from person to person.
If you can hit a Fry's or similar B&M you can get a good idea of how they feel in your hand.

My opinion - get the MX518 (arguably one of the best gaming mice ever made).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I pretty much use a fingertip type grip.
I dont think I could use a palm grip mouse, tried out my friends palm grip type and its just way to heavy.
Know of any reasonably priced mice with a finger type grip?

The MX518 for $25 at Amazon. I believe that the G9X is for Grippers...

I own both the G500 and MX 518. I prefer the G500 for its free spin capacity (however, the free spin is not anywhere near as manageable as on my old MX revolution.

For FPS, I would go 518 all the way. Very nice accuracy.

Between the Mx518 and the G500, I prefer the G500 because I feel that the shape is a huge improvement over the Mx518, the thumb rest especially. However, the G500 has weight adjustment (not balanced easily), already quite heavy, and the 5600dpi sensor has some acceleration issues. If you want to deal with those (which I would say outweigh the cons of the Mx518) that would be the way to go. However the mouse that Cabbs listed or others from different manufactures are definitely worth looking into. You can get other mice with great sensors and I think better shapes for your style.

I had MX518 and decided to get rid of it, I now have a G5 and like the feel of the buttons better. Didn't the feel of the buttons on the 518.

Why does the grip differ on two mice with almost the exact same upper shell?

"Almost" being the key phrase. The fingertip grip sits between the palm and claw grip. The window in which a mouse size and shape fits perfectly for this grip is very small. Most fingertip users (myself included) find the G500 just slightly too large.

Steelseries Xai

and it not gonna help your skill. It'll help minimize external factor making your game bad, but not your skill.

save yourself the money and just get the mx518 unless you can find a g500 for cheaper on sale or something. the mx518 is a beast and you wouldn't be dissatisfied either way.

If you play a lot of fps with low sensitivity, go with the optical 518. The speed required for the sensor to stop working is much higher then what you find in all laser mice. Otherwise if you use a higher sensitivity go with the higher dpi mouse for finer controled accuracy.

I've had both mice before.

Mx518 is good however outdated. The G500 which i currently use is much better in terms of quality and accuracy.

If you like the MX518 style; the G5 has the exact look; but more updated hardware.

Mx518 is good however outdated. The G500 which i currently use is much better in terms of quality and accuracy.

If you like the MX518 style; the G5 has the exact look; but more updated hardware.

yeah but the mx518 reacts differently and is better for games imo... they're both a great mouse though.

the mx518 is the best gaming mouse of all time. Can you back up your bogus quality and accuracy claims?
The 518 works, and its all you need for a gaming mouse.

i agree the mx518 is a good mouse but why not get g500 with a better sensor and more refined features like mouse wheel; easy to change dpi button etc.

my claims is hardly bogus at all :/ Have you used both mice as i have to be a better judge comparing these mice ?

i agree the mx518 is a good mouse but why not get g500 with a better sensor and more refined features like mouse wheel; easy to change dpi button etc.

my claims is hardly bogus at all :/ Have you used both mice as i have to be a better judge comparing these mice ?

yes of course I have used both of them. The G500 is a "fine" mouse, but for me it is still below the MX518. I am a low sens gamer and my 518 still feels better (to me)
I have no trouble reaching my 518s DPI buttons (i dont change dpi as I dont need to), my 518's mousewheel works perfectly fine. What other features are more "refined?" dont get gimmicky confused with refined either.
Better sensor? define better! Many people would argue that optical is better than laser (myself included). yes, logitechs sensors have come a long way since the horrendous sensor that was in the rusty G5, but they are still laser. Where are the figures/graphs/stats to prove your accuracy claim? The MX518 is a proven gaming mouse that works as it should with or without drivers. It works to a high level and is a great mouse, oh and they are pretty damn cheap as well

Well that is your opinion. Doesn't make it true :X

I don't see you posting your graphs proving your claims either :p troll...

the accuracy claim is just that, a claim. With nothing to prove it. it is not an opinion when something like that is claimed, it is a lie.
For low sensitivity gaming the MX518's sensor may be better, but at higher settings the G500 is more precise. I have used both and I find the ADNS-9500 to be more accurate, even when compared to other laser sensors like the Twin-Eye. Saying that the MX518 is a categorically better mouse is an incorrect statement.

Back