Logitech G430 7.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset - $40 + FS

I bit. Been needing a decent headset with fake surround for iracing.

They felt ridiculously cheap and the hinges super flimsy when I took a look at them at Best Buy. I suppose it could have been because it was a display model though.

How is it even possible to have 7.1 on a pair of headphones? We only have two ears, and there's only one speaker per ear.

The marketing is truely a scam, imo.

For $40 though I wouldn't consider it a bad deal, especially with "7.1 surround sound".

Just for the record, I have a pair of both G35 (wired) and G930 (wireless) headphones. Decent quality products and the virtual surround sound works pretty darn well (in my case) for gaming. Most games also natively support the headsets now which is a definite plus.

A slightly stripped down version of the G35 doesn't seem like such a bad deal at $40.

Sad thing is you don't need (said) surround sound headsets with today's sound cards. Probably doesn't hurt to have the headset software that simulates surround but most dedicated sound cards have this built in to them.

are they built like the g35s ? cause my 4 year old g35s are holding up pretty well. hmmm might consider getting a pair for my friend.

When I bought my G930 at Best Buy recently I noticed the G430s there and took a quick look at all the display models for comparison. I'm also concerned about cheap quality headsets. In my quick comparison, the G430 seemed to be built the same as the G35 (or G930), just with less features.

How is it even possible to have 7.1 on a pair of headphones? We only have two ears, and there's only one speaker per ear.

Through something magical called software :p

I own a G35 and a G930, and I will say that these things are not built quite as well as the G35, which was reliable as a brick for me. I do not actually own this particular G430, but I have used them. For $40, I would say this is definitely worth it, but it is not as well-built as the G35.

Crap, I just got a desktop mic in today for gaming. I've been looking for a gaming headset but have been hesitant on these 5.1/7.1 sets.
My local Best Buy has them in stock, might as well check it out at this price.

FYI Amazon is price matching and I ordered it there for my wife. Her G35 broke after only 3 years (snapped off one of the earcups sheer from the mount, the piece is so flimsy its ridiculous, can't believe people think G35 had good build quality... garbage).

I see a lot of comments about the headphones having fade in / fade problems...including on the logitech forums.

Anyone have any hands-on comments on it? I'm wondering if this is a hardware specific bug of some sort or not.

I've been using them for a couple of months now, they are very good. I got this after I worn out my G930's. For this price they are a steal, well worth the money. Build quality is decent, nice cords and great ear pads, much better than the ones on the more expensive 930. Havent had any software-related bugs with it.

FYI Amazon is price matching and I ordered it there for my wife. Her G35 broke after only 3 years (snapped off one of the earcups sheer from the mount, the piece is so flimsy its ridiculous, can't believe people think G35 had good build quality... garbage).

It's heavy. Physics will tell you that if you drop it a lot, it will break. I have had mine for around 2 years now I believe, dropped it a few times, and still works perfectly. I do try to take care of my headphones though.

Already got this headset a couple of weeks back, hearing sounds in game, that you just don't hear on an old stereo set, highly recommend them.

Imagine someone standing in front of you and standing behind you. Their voices will sound different based on where they are around you. Basically what things like this do is take a 5.1 or 7.1 source (like your game) and modify the audio in the channels to simulate this effect and mix it into stereo. It can be very convincing.

there are youtube demos you can try that will work with any headphones/soundcard.

seriously irks me garbage like this gets posted here. buy a set of headphones from a reputable manufacturer and a zalman clip-on mic and get infinitely better quality in every way.

for around $50 you should be looking at audio-technica ath-t400 (actually on sale right now for a mere $35), sennheiser hd 419, or something like a panasonic htf-600. you absolutely should NOT be looking at razer, logitech, or steelseries for headphones/sets. they make a select few good products and none of them have anything to do with audio.

Last edited:
seriously irks me garbage like this gets posted here. buy a set of headphones from a reputable manufacturer and a zalman clip-on mic and get infinitely better quality in every way.

for around $50 you should be looking at audio-technica ath-t400 (actually on sale right now for a mere $35), sennheiser hd 419, or something like a panasonic htf-600. you absolutely should NOT be looking at razer, logitech, or steelseries for headphones/sets. they make a select few good products and none of them have anything to do with audio.

What nonsense is this from someone I've never met? You seem awfully sure of the rightness of your wrong opinions. Might want to add "imo" someplace in there, otherwise people might think you're an authority on something.

Then think hard and you might be able to gather together a reason for someone buying these headphones. Such as, oh I don't know, something like your work laptop needing a cheap USB combo for both Skype and gaming.

Only audio technica headphones I would recommend for gaming are the A700/A700x.....I haven't tried the T400's, are they comparable to the A700/A700x?

There are headphones with multiple speakers per ear.

I ordered my wife's with overnight shipping and they came today. Overall very pleased. Sound quality is good for gaming, good enough for casual listening, enough features, even has dual functionality with the USB and mic/headphone splitter. I didn't know that. Cons: Slightly cheaper construction than G35 (not much tho), very VERY blue (more blue than in the pictures, hers is ALL blue even the cord), and no buttons on the side of the headset or even auto-mute mic on swing functionality. All lost in pursuit of cheapness. Ah well, good enough for 40+10sh cause she'll use it for Skype at work too. Definitely fits the bill as a cheaper, similar G35 replacement.

FYI this deal is stil live on Amazon, I went to Fry's and pricematched! same-day goodness FTW, will be testing these out in CS:GO later

What nonsense is this from someone I've never met? You seem awfully sure of the rightness of your wrong opinions. Might want to add "imo" someplace in there, otherwise people might think you're an authority on something.

Then think hard and you might be able to gather together a reason for someone buying these headphones. Such as, oh I don't know, something like your work laptop needing a cheap USB combo for both Skype and gaming.

not an opinion, it's fact. i have compared all of my friends' shitty gamer brand headsets (corsair 1500, steelseries siberia v2, razer carcharias) and they are all complete and utter trash compared to my brother's ath-t400, and not even in the same universe when put up against my ath-a700 or etymotic mc5s. i let them try my headphones on a few occasions and you can guess what they had to say.

ignoring the fact that they sound like poop, they're also made like something you'd find in a happy meal. my brother's corsair 1500's cable started fucking up after a year of having it, and my friend's carcharias' left driver died a year and a half after purchasing it. the siberia's build quality isn't so bad and the mic is good, but it still sounds horrible. you can buy an adapter for less than $10 to use them with laptops that don't have 3.5mm ports, by the way (the one you linked me does, i dunno if you realized it or not.)

Only audio technica headphones I would recommend for gaming are the A700/A700x.....I haven't tried the T400's, are they comparable to the A700/A700x?

they sound like my a700 but with less detail and smaller soundstage. when eq'd they can come pretty close to non-eq'd a700. they surprised me.

Last edited:
PC360 blow these out of the water, but also cost 3x as much.

I own these + PC360 + HD650s and I ran them all with a DAC & AMP.

The Logitech are the least comfortable, and worst sounding for games and I wouldn't ever consider them for music. The PC360 are awesome in games, do OK in music. The HD650 absolutely suck in games but OMG awesome for music, and the most comfortable too.

I wouldn't ever use my 650s for gaming even though they are AWESOME for music. The PC360 I can actually pickup waling and other light sounds in game way better.

If you don't have any much to compare to I'm sure they sound better than $10 headphones, and for the rare gaming my wife does they work :)

not an opinion, it's fact. i have compared all of my friends' shitty gamer brand headsets (corsair 1500, steelseries siberia v2, razer carcharias) and they are all complete and utter trash compared to my brother's ath-t400, and not even in the same universe when put up against my ath-a700 or etymotic mc5s. i let them try my headphones on a few occasions and you can guess what they had to say.

ignoring the fact that they sound like poop, they're also made like something you'd find in a happy meal. my brother's corsair 1500's cable started fucking up after a year of having it, and my friend's carcharias' left driver died a year and a half after purchasing it. the siberia's build quality isn't so bad and the mic is good, but it still sounds horrible. you can buy an adapter for less than $10 to use them with laptops that don't have 3.5mm ports, by the way (the one you linked me does, i dunno if you realized it or not.)

they sound like my a700 but with less detail and smaller soundstage. when eq'd they can come pretty close to non-eq'd a700. they surprised me.

I don't have $120+ to throw at a pair of headphones (or almost $170 on those PC360's that was mentioned), pretty good set of headphones for $60, a lot more comfortable than the old stereo headset Logitech made (I remember paying almost $30 for those, now they are floating just above $10), and it's fabric, so it should last longer than the Pleather material that splits and crumbles after a little while on other headsets.

Also found that if you have a Logitech gaming keyboard, even if the headset is not directly plugged into the keyboard, you can control the volume of the headset via the keyboard volume control (as long as the headset is using the USB adapter anyway).

Back