Logitech G400 $29.99 AMAZON

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
OOhhhh, thanks OP. I needed a good excuse to get one of these for a stand by and a replacement.

Between the MX518 and the G400, which one do you actually prefer? I've had the older MX mice for a long time and loved the feel.

I do like the amount of DPI the g400 has and also think it looks much better (matte grey is nice compared to the funky but awesome old melting design of the mx) but I kinda liked the glossy feel in the hand a little bit more, preferred the clicker wheel and the feet of the MX518.

Oh, some people see the thinner cord as a feature but I preferred the thicker cord of the mx, it was just nicer. The g400 is also lighter which some people prefer.

I have been using the g400 for about half a year and like it, These are the only mice I have used for the past 10 years (started with the mx510, moved to the 518 (which still works) and now on the g400 (only got this because I take the 518 to work)).

@kenworth: ahah I thought about buying one just to have around. These do go down to $35 a lot but $30 is an excellent deal!

I grabbed one like an hour ago at 30, must have just went up.

the G400 still has the thin loose feeling left button that has bothered me for years on all my MX518 mice.

Love this mouse. I had a mx510 that started to go bad and replaced it with this. The mx510 would randomly connect/disconnect just sitting there and it wasn't the cord either. It lasted 7 years so I was quite happy with it.

How does this compare to the G9? (non x version)

Much better. The G9 uses a low power Avago laser sensor, the first laser sensor that ever came out, which originally came out to save power on wireless mice. As such, it doesn't perform well and just skips to track when you make a fast turn.

I had the same sensor in my old MS Habu and it used to fuck up on me when I had to do a lot of 360 degree turns in CS:S on surf_skyworld.

Though, you can't really compare the G9 to the G400 because it's claw grip/fingertip grip mouse. G400 is a palm-grip mouse.

Personally, I prefer to palm my mouse like a boss rather than to touch it with my fingertip. I don't like G9 because of this.

Is it safe to say that any G400 that you buy now will have prediction/angle snapping removed? I remember something about certain PIDs having prediction and certain ones not having it.

Well you can always get a DA 3G on the cheap.

Though, if you're concerned about Razer's sub-par build quality then you might as well go all on out and get the EC1 Evo. I've both the white and the black version of the EC1 Evo and it's the best mouse around.

the G400 still has the thin loose feeling left button that has bothered me for years on all my MX518 mice.

This is the only problem I have with the G400. But it's really not that much of an issue once you get used to it.

I'd like to add in that the G400 is a great mouse but for $10 more, this is a better mouse:

http://www.amazon.com/CM-Storm-Recon-Multicolor-SGM-4001-KLLW1/dp/B009JZ04BC

It uses the same sensor used in the EC1/2 Evo's and the Zowie AM. Best tracking sensor out in the market with the lowest lift-off distance.

It doesn't seem to fit in your palm as well as the G400 though. Or, wouldn't feel as nice as the MX518 coating.

Well... the entire point of a gaming mouse is it's superior functionality, not looks. Some people don't seem to understand this and think too much about a mouse's looks. Gaming mice are made to provide better performance and more available on-mouse options. There's no point to having a disco ball in your hand.

But so yeah, if you want a toy, then you can always buy something Razer as well.

This is the only mouse design I like. Been using it since the MX Duo ten years ago.

I've heard a lot of complaints about the scroll wheel used in the Zowie mice. Otherwise they are supposed to be awesome.

The Cooler Master Storm Recon that johnnydoe posted was my #1 pick due to the sensor but I bit on this G400 because it's still supposed to be an awesome optical mouse and I <3 Logitech's products and warranty. Might give the CM a shot at some point in the future.

The scrool wheel in my EC1 Evo black and whites work well. They require a bit of force to scrool click, but that's also to avoid clicking on the scrool mistakenly.

The EC1 Evo is a mouse for the hard user. It's built solid and makes a solid KRANK when you hit it fast to the desk.

The black one is plain looking though if you care about that, lacks the flash. :p

The white one looks amazing but it's much more slippery than the black one with the rubber.

Well... the entire point of a gaming mouse is it's superior functionality, not looks. Some people don't seem to understand this and think too much about a mouse's looks. Gaming mice are made to provide better performance and more available on-mouse options. There's no point to having a disco ball in your hand.

But so yeah, if you want a toy, then you can always buy something Razer as well.

This is a false statement. There is this specific cyborg look that gaming companies love to give peripherals. Has nothing to do with confort. Regardless I like my g400 better than any other mouse I tried.

This is a false statement. There is this specific cyborg look that gaming companies love to give peripherals. Has nothing to do with confort. Regardless I like my g400 better than any other mouse I tried.

No, it isn't.

The "cyborg look" you're referring is a thing of R.A.T mice, which are plagued with that shitty PTE sensor anyway.

If you go down the routes of gaming mice, down to the Razer Boomerang, the point of gaming mice was to provide better performance and useability.

The looks are just a contributing factor.

The companies are trying to make their mice look as unique as possible because it makes them sell better.

Last edited:
Back