Logitech G25 and game recommendations

Slade

2[H]4U
I've got the Logitech G25, I have a PC and PS3. What games have you guys with G25s tried and what do you recommend?

Here's what I've played around with or am waiting to download er purchase...

GT HD (works but no force feedback, no gated shifter/clutch support)
GT4 (works but no gated shifter/clutch support)
GTR2 (works well, but cars are overpowered for the clutch making it feel more like a spec stage 4 clutch aka on/off instead of streetable like a vette LS7 clutch)
rFactor (have yet to finish downloading, read good things)

I'm basically looking for that "reminds me of my car" kind of feel to driving except on a race course. I currently drive a stock 98 Camaro, so that's my reference point as far as feel goes. I need something to get me my driving fix now that winter has finally made it to the northeast. GT5 if it will even be made had better support this else I will be a very sore PS3 owner.

Toca = arcade :eek:

GTR2 = GT type cars don't really use the clutch (other than to get off the line) blip the throttle for downshifts ;) (if you want adjust sensitivity in options)

rFactor = try 1979 F1 mod or F1 2005 Mods (kicks ass)

GTL = like GTr but with older cars 9same maker)

RaceWTCC = same maker, WTCC cars decent game but with some annoying bugs + steam.

PS3/PS2 you are screwed, no forcefeedback support, including the upcoming GT5, no FFB.

There's a plethora of settings to change to suit your style, but I like to use 100% FFB strenght in profiler, 0 everything else with 320 rotation. In game FFB to 100% full effects and reverse FFB effects ON. Sensitivity to 50% (steering rate, gas, brake and clutch) and disable speed sensitivity steering.

(use G25 FFB setting in simbin games)

just y .02

It'd be disappointing if GT5 didn't have FFB support with the G25, the reasons for selling the PS3, even at a loss now, is growing larger by the day...

It'd be disappointing if GT5 didn't have FFB support with the G25, the reasons for selling the PS3, even at a loss now, is growing larger by the day...

Here's a couple of the articles:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/05/ps3-wont-support-force-feedback-wheels/
http://kotaku.com/gaming/sixaxis/no-force-feedback-for-ps3-racing-wheels-either-226250.php

Sony recently confirmed with 1UP that PlayStation 3 will not support force feedback, a technology that is often integrated into racing wheel peripherals. The explanation was vague: "All PS3 games are programmed for the Sixaxis which doesn't have force feedback, therefore the force feedback in the wheels won't be recognized."

maybe you "tilt" the wheel :p (I know I'm pissed too, was really looking forward to GT5 with a G25)

I read those articles before, and while I am hesitant to take it as the final say for anything, (as we know anything can change when money is involved).

I'm wondering on the whole legality of a game publisher programming specifica force feedback into their game, since technically it would require the developer to purchase the license from Sony (to make a game for the PS3) and one from Immersion. Since force feed back works in GT4 and not a PS3 game to boot, I don't see any reason for the "PS3" software to actually require anything except to allow the interaction between program and input device.

It's a long stretch, but hey it "could" happen...

Just to update. The immersion deals with sony have been finished, they kissed and made up (as phil harrison put it on gamevideos.com interview). A recent psinext podcast with a motorstorm developer hinted that they are working with logitech/immersion and announcements on FFB would come relatively soon (within the next month or so would be my guess).

So yeah, I fully expect future ps3 racing games and definately GT5 will have FFB/rumble. And hopefully clutch/shifting support. Even Cory Barlog unofficially said that the next game he makes (god of war 3) will have rumble support at last nights launch party for god of war 2.

Soon as the announcements are made I plan on getting the G25 logitech wheel. Costs a pretty penny, but definately worth it. If you guys know any good deals on it (lowest I can find it for is 250), please let me know (pm or whatever).

Richard Burns Rally for the PC. BY FAR, the most realistic, intense simulation of driving I have EVER played. I have the MOMO Force, but am thinking of upgrading to the G25 just for this sim alone.

GTL = like GTr but with older cars 9same maker)

The entire list was good (you're missing Colin Mcrae though!), but GT:Legends would be particularly good for the six speed/clutch because you'll be driving a lot of older manual cars.

Odd,there are two different youtube videos showing ps3 owners using manual transmission .Pretty sure it was not sequential, as he downshifted to 2nd (bottom left) and went to 3rd (top) and 4th respectively. I have one as well, as soon as the ,kids get off the ps3.I'll try it there as well.As of now , Im configuring NFS carbon on the pc.

It a shame , this is what MS gets for trying to monopolize the peripherals for the 360.I so want to use this for Forza

So sick of people saying MS is "monopolizing" or using "proprietary garbage" on their own frickin' console. It's not a PC. Everything 360 is their's. Stop confusing the two.

So sick of people saying MS is "monopolizing" or using "proprietary garbage" on their own frickin' console. It's not a PC. Everything 360 is their's. Stop confusing the two.

But when it means you have to use inferior hardware because of it, people have a right to be pissed off. Myself included.

But when it means you have to use inferior hardware because of it, people have a right to be pissed off. Myself included.

That's fine and dandy, but be pissed at Logitech, not MS. It's not MS's fault Logitech hasn't made a nice wheel for the 360 yet is it?

That's fine and dandy, but be pissed at Logitech, not MS. It's not MS's fault Logitech hasn't made a nice wheel for the 360 yet is it?

Until I can play Forza 2 (developed by Microsoft) with a good quality wheel, clutch and H shifter (made by Logitech, Microsoft, or anyone else), on the Microsoft Xbox 360, I will continue to reserve the right to be pissed at Microsoft for their piss-poor wheel support. Even though one could argue that MS have the power to add Logitech Force Feedback support (which they do), that's not my issue with them. There are no alternatives for enthusiasts, proprietary or otherwise on the 360. (I would love to be proved wrong on this.)

Just played a little GT HD and NFS Carbon. GT HD as of now does not recognize the 6 speed manual transmission (unless there is some secret option I'm missing out on?) NFS Carbon for PC and PS3 both have nearly full support for the G25 ( minus clutch engine stall ; although clutch does work when shifting) Just for the heck of it, I loaded up Motorstorm , by default gas is bound to the right red button on the wheel and steering works with auto centering.As for pc games, rfactor , Toca 3 , Live for Speed , NFS Carbon , Richard Burn's Rally (with H shifter mod from Toca editing) are a couple games that come to mind that work with the G25

Until I can play Forza 2 (developed by Microsoft) with a good quality wheel, clutch and H shifter (made by Logitech, Microsoft, or anyone else), on the Microsoft Xbox 360, I will continue to reserve the right to be pissed at Microsoft for their piss-poor wheel support. Even though one could argue that MS have the power to add Logitech Force Feedback support (which they do), that's not my issue with them. There are no alternatives for enthusiasts, proprietary or otherwise on the 360. (I would love to be proved wrong on this.)

Forza 2 doesn't even have a clutch in the game anyway, so I don't see your point here.

p.s. This very site gave the MS Wheel a great review. I personally think it's fine for the price as well.

Forza 2 doesn't even have a clutch in the game anyway, so I don't see your point here.

p.s. This very site gave the MS Wheel a great review. I personally think it's fine for the price as well.

Forza2 DOES have a clutch, it's just automatically applied. (devs said they wanted a force feedback clutch before they would make it an option). That said, the MS wheel has MANY downfalls, specially considering that the DFP is under $100 and it's a better wheel.

Here's a post I made on my POV with this issue:

This thread is about what I personally wish that Forza 2 did better, and to this point it seems it hasn't. Now let's get on with it: (as constructive criticism)

- First, and most important of all INTERFACE!!

Turns out, Forza 2 can only be played with the official Microsoft wheel, or the 360 controller. (for now) Here's why that's a problem:

As you know, interface to any game is king (why I complain about GRAW2 not properly supporting southpaw so much). All the time spent on physics, looks, etc. Is moot if the game play does not deliver due to a bad interface/hardware.

First and foremost, Forza 2 is supposed to be a simulator "Si-mu-la-tor" they say. They are even going to such lengths as to provide the ability to create a really expensive gaming setup, by allowing you to use 4 XBOX 360's, 4 TV's and 4 copies of the game. (video)

Quite the $$ wouldn't you say?

-Yet, the interface to control this monstrosity of a setup seems to cause a LOT of issues, but it's the ONLY one with Force Feedback that's officially supported for this game, the one that was built for this game if you may, in fact the game was built around this wheel's capabilities.

However, the hard facts are:

Cheap plastic shaft construction:

-The steering shaft is held in place by a plastic bearing. This results in a wheel that feels cheap, but worse of all. It develops a steering wobble/slope where the entire steering column moves up and down as you turn it. There are people already modding theirs to try and alleviate this issue:

http://www.andrewdorey.com/default.aspx?p=360wheel

Heck, even older (and cheaper) wheels use metal bearings (DFP, etc)

-Several wheels have a big dead zone in the middle: here's a quote from a review.

My biggest problem with this steering peripheral is the "dead-zone" a few degrees to either side of center where you turn the wheel slightly but nothing happens. This greatly varies from wheel to wheel, as our three test wheels exhibited different dead-zones

But hey, simply go check the Forza forums and see for your self.

-It ONLY has 270º of rotation:
Which any serious sim-er will tell you is not nearly enough rotation to give you that finesse that's necessary when guiding a car trough a course. Driving is about finesse, little corrections here and there. The more rotation you have, the more finesse possible. (if you are wrestling the car and going lock to lock you are NOT going to be fast, maybe flashy but not fast.

After you get past all the problems with this wheel, we have another BIG issue as far as "sims" go. Forza 2 DOES NOT SUPPORT COCKPIT VIEW!! (there is no available info to point otherwise that I'm aware of)

When was the last time you saw a sim in which you drove from the bonnet of your car?

Conclusion:

In short, I'm sure Forza will be a kick ass game in it's own right, many will play with the gamepad, etc. But for myself and many others expecting this to be in such a level which competes with the immersiveness that we are acostumed to on PC, I think we expected too much. A semi-decent wheel, with no cockpit view seems to kill much of the expectations I had for this game, specially when I listen to the devs (which I believe are complete gear heads) talk about this game with so much love for cars and speed.

Microsoft/Devs:

-how about allowing "other" steering wheels?
-how about a clutch, and not just toy pedals, maybe a shifter?
-how about a cockpit view next time?

Thanks for reading,
Neodark.

Here's a continuation: http://www.xblracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2358

:D

Starting today, GTHD 2.0 now has force feed back, I would expect other games to get patched as well. This pretty much confirms FFB for GT5 and other future racing games. :cool:

Starting today, GTHD 2.0 now has force feed back, I would expect other games to get patched as well. This pretty much confirms FFB for GT5 and other future racing games. :cool:

I hope it's good, it would be awesome :D

Although I expect a better sim out of Forza than GT5/HD. Too bad it doesn't support the better peripheral :(

There were so many design flaws in Forza 1. The one issue that made me put down the controller and go back to pc sim racing was, AWD cars such as the Subie STI drifting.Although, I'm still looking foward to Forza 2 (w or w/o G25 support)

Also, the new Colin McRae Dirt will have support for the DFP and G25 in the PS3/PC version, MS Wheel in the 360 version, and with force feedback in all 3 versions (PS3/360/PC). :D

Though the only negative is that the game wont support the manual H-pattern shifting in the G25, just the sequential shifting.

Back