Logitech G13 Programmable Gameboard with LCD Display // $39.99 shipped AR

Dylan80

[H]ard|Gawd
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
the G13 rules... good deal if you can get the rebate.

I like the G13 because you get quicker access to more keys compared to a normal keyboard. Plus its got some extra goodies (and it just looks cool) :D

what do you mean when you say: if you can get the rebate? is logitech bad with rebates? I have always had good luck, and never heard anything bad with rebates getting sent (I've only heard a few bad things with OCZ brand rebates that never come)

G13 is great. For me the selling point is the scripting engine and customization. The pad itself is okay, would be awesome if Logitech sold a premium mechanical version w/Cherry MX black switches.

G13 is great. For me the selling point is the scripting engine and customization. The pad itself is okay, would be awesome if Logitech sold a premium mechanical version w/Cherry MX black switches.

At least with the G13, you can use it alongside a nice keyboard and get the best of both worlds, I hate my G15, while it has some nice features, they can all be replaced by the G13 and it sucks as a full time keyboard.

[snip]
what do you mean when you say: if you can get the rebate? is logitech bad with rebates? I have always had good luck, and never heard anything bad with rebates getting sent (I've only heard a few bad things with OCZ brand rebates that never come)

Oh.. I just don't like rebates in general... have had 50/50 luck with them over the years and just don't generally find them that attractive as a "deal". I guess I should have worded it "if you are ok with rebates".. ;)

Logitech is pretty good on MIR. I got my 60$ rebate for my G27 wheel in about 5 weeks. Pretty fast for a rebate.

Once you play on one for a week you will never want to use a keyboard again. One of my favorite gaming purchases in years.

NICE! Been waiting for a deal on this. Now I can have media keys/macro keys and move to a mechanical keyboard!

ah yes... been waiting on a deal for one of these. want to get rid of my old g15 and get a mechanical as well.

Seems that the G15 was Logitechs biggest screw up, according to the threads and comments I've read on here.

Seems that the G15 was Logitechs biggest screw up, according to the threads and comments I've read on here.

Actually, I would say the G15 is the best Logitech product I have ever owned. The screw up was creating the newer models of this keyboard with a fixed screen, or none at all. I bought this keyboard when it was released and it is still running strong today. I am getting the G13 though because most of my friends use something similar and recommended it to me. I may end up going to a smaller keyboard if I like the G13.

in for one, thanks op, was waiting on a deal like this to push my decision-making over the "this is too expensive" hump. Hope the rebate comes through.

Picked it up.

I got a free $50 amazon GC from work a few months ago and couldn't think of anything to use it on. Now I used it.

I've been thinking about picking this up after two friends recommended it. Been holding off though because it has been pricey. This looks too good to pass up. However, I did see that Razer came out with their own branded version of the nt52te. Anyone heard anything about it?

However, I did see that Razer came out with their own branded version of the nt52te. Anyone heard anything about it?

I'm filled with sadness whenever I hear about the n52TE.

The original Belkin n52 was my favorite gamepad. I used it for several years. Then Belkin finally came out with the n52TE. Hardware-wise, it's a superior product. Form factor and keys are more comfortable.

Software.. it failed. They outsourced to Razer. The UI was horrendous, and had less features than the n52 (less macro features, 1 less key map). Driver support succumbed as well. I think there was maybe one or two updates for the n52TE in 3 years. Support was completely stagnant.

Fortunately I discovered the Logitech G13. However, I still prefer the n52TE for comfort and ergonomics. The scripting capability of the G13 is far superior though.

I wasn't aware of this re-branded n52TE, apparently now just called "Razer n52". Physically it looks the same other than the Razer logo on the palm rest. The software however looks updated and more featured. They've gone from the pathetic 3 key maps to an insane 8 key maps. My only doubts are macros, and any scripting capabilities. I've become too accustomed to my LUA scripts in the G13.

I use the G13 all the time. The n52TE never had enough buttons except for the most minimalist fps shooters, and it was quite cramped since I use a wider spread of N-S-E-W directional keys than the tiny WSAD grouping which was basically the same key cluster size as the crappy directional key's block. (Specifically I use ECAF with S-D as the stafe left/right, X reload, V crouch).
After using the G13 for awhile and making a lot of macros, I found that the hat/joystick works awesome for a lot of things too, with mod keys (alt, ctrl, shift, etc) making each direction able to do a lot of different commonly used actions.
Pair this with a razor naga for a game like WoW or any other game that has a lot of keymapping and you will never go back. The ergonomics are awesome, especially if you have wide shoulders like me. No more crossing your left hand in front of your body (except when you need to type of course). I highly recommend this, and even without rebate its a good price. They were 79.99 almost everywhere for the longest time.

There is one issue I have with the G13. If I am running forward and I jump sometimes my character will stop moving forward and I have to repress the forward button.

This happens in all the FPS games I play, Counter Strike Source, Black Ops, MW2, and BC2.
I know it is the G13 since I have an N52 and it doesn't do it with that.
Other than that issue, it is great. I can't play FPS games with the keyboard anymore since it feels un-natural.

There is one issue I have with the G13. If I am running forward and I jump sometimes my character will stop moving forward and I have to repress the forward button.

This happens in all the FPS games I play, Counter Strike Source, Black Ops, MW2, and BC2.
I know it is the G13 since I have an N52 and it doesn't do it with that.
Other than that issue, it is great. I can't play FPS games with the keyboard anymore since it feels un-natural.

This can be fixed through G13's LUA scripting engine:

Code:
function OnEvent(event, arg)
    if (event == 'G_PRESSED' and arg == 4) then
        PressKey('w')
    elseif (event == 'G_RELEASED' and arg == 4) then
        ReleaseKey('w')
    end

if (event == 'G_PRESSED' and arg == 10) then
        PressKey('a')
    elseif (event == 'G_RELEASED' and arg == 10) then
        ReleaseKey('a')
    end

if (event == 'G_PRESSED' and arg == 11) then
        PressKey('s')
    elseif (event == 'G_RELEASED' and arg == 11) then
        ReleaseKey('s')
    end

if (event == 'G_PRESSED' and arg == 12) then
        PressKey('d')
    elseif (event == 'G_RELEASED' and arg == 12) then
        ReleaseKey('d')
    end
end

Just add this script under your profile and set your WASD G-Keys to script.

Wow, that's badass.... a script system

I can't wait to try this thing :D

Anyone know if you can use this along with a G15 keyboard?? Wondering if its possable since there would be 2 LCDs.

Anyone know if you can use this along with a G15 keyboard?? Wondering if its possable since there would be 2 LCDs.

Yes, you can use the G13+G15 according to the logitech forum thread here (go all the way to the bottom of the last post):

You can modify the MouseSpeed setting to change the velocity, and if something goes horribly wrong you can hit Esc to stop your runaway cursor.

"With this my G13 and G15 work together just great and are comfy as heck for long WoW, Aquaria, and Far Cry 2 sessions.Thanks to SpecialK and CharlesB for being on top of it".

I can confirm that it DEFINITELY works. G13+G15 combo = win :D

Anyone that uses this with WoW? I'm really wanting to try it but theres no store that has it on display. I mainly would need it for wow since I need so many keys.

works great. each LCD can show whatever plug in you are running.
I have g15Netspeed running on my G15 and just the Logitech Performance Monitor on the G13.
here is my little gaming setup,
game-setup2.jpg

Get one at BB for $60+ 10% off coupon or grab 1 at amazon and get a $20 off rebate and wait forever for it.

Hmm... Crap!

Only thing I don't like about this unit is the programming for the joystick. I tried mapping 1-4 to it for BC2 and it doesn't really work right. So for instance, when I press the equivalent of "2", that should bring up my main gun, but instead it toggles randomly sometimes.

The product makes no sense if you already have a G15, but I bought one to use with my laptop and it's nice to have the extra LCD screen .

I'm looking at it for more buttons, bigger buttons for a more confortable grip and the extra LCD along with the G15.

I bought the first ever game pad like this many years ago and it sucked cause you could'nt press more then 2 keys at the same time or one would cancel another out or even activate a button you didnt press. Junk.. I hope this isint like that.

Doesn't really do anything from a "need more buttons" perspective at all. I mean unless you have three hands, you will either be resting your left hand on WASD on your keyboard or the four equivalent keys on the G13. In games where you need to use a lot of keys, the keyboard makes more sense.

The G13 has more goodies compared to a normal WSAD keyboard setup, many people here who own it have already said this

And I don't own one? There are no "goodies." A keyboard is far superior to the G13 in any games that require a bunch of keys for use. The G13 is only useful for FPS. It lacks anything approaching F1-F10 or 1-10 functionality that more complex games require.

The G13 layout is nothing but the left 1/3 of a regular keyboard with a replacement spacebar, one other button, and a little joystick that can theoretically function as four more buttons (not that you're likely to be able to remember these assigned functions across dozens of games).

If you what you need is a keyboard with more macros, get the G19 or whatever it is. The G13 is simply a more comfortable WASD pad for FPS.

Dude, you contradicted yourself so much in that post hahaha..

1) Most people PLAY FPS GAMES..... that's why this thing was invented and people buy it. Another huge game which requires a lot of keys is pretty much any MMORPG, World of Warcraft is huge....so those people too. That's over 2 million people that game EACH DAY and 2 just genres. Lets not forget RTS games like Starcraft 2..... I can go on and on lol

then this run-on of "but it only has" is great and contradicting itself
"nothing but the left 1/3 of a regular keyboard (1) with a replacement spacebar, (2) one other button, and (3) a little joystick that can theoretically function as (4) four more buttons"

LOL! :p

I'm sorry that you can't grasp the nuances of the English language. Or most of it, apparently.

The issue I was addressing was whether it's good if one needs "more buttons." How does regurgitating the titles of games and the number of people who play them address that point...at all?

I'm someone who actually owns one of these and I'm letting people know that it won't do you any good if you want more buttons for MMO-type stuff because it's merely a replacement WASD pad. It's even contoured that way. I guess you could use it as a bunch of random extra programmable buttons, but why bother? A G19 keyboard already has those on the same physical board, so you don't have to switch your hand from your keyboard to the G13 and back...and forth...and back...Who the hell does that?

At any rate, enjoy failing to understand or comprehend English. From your last "point" it's clear that you can't even count the number of "contradictions" you found. Hilarious.

Last edited:
For MMOs, RTSs and FPSs, the G13 is fantastic. Customize it any way you want, including with, as others have noted, LUA. Not to mention any application that runs on a monochrome G-series GamePanel will run on the G13, the multi-color backlighting is awesome, and the key quality is to the best I can tell the very best non-mech keys to date. It even works in Linux!

The N52te did not have enough buttons and was a tiny cramped cluster for me, as i said in my other reply. I do game on a laptop sometimes (asus g73jh) and the g13 is even more valued to me vs using a laptop keyboard, especially since I always use the laptop on a cooling pad with fan. But compared to using any keyboard, even a good gaming one like my g19, i think the g13 is awesome. Being able to keep your hands and elbows more in line with your shoulders (throne/captain's chair-like) is so much more comfortable than crossing your forearm and hand in front of your chest. My gf jokes that I can pwn people by just flicking my wrist when I use the g13. Shes exaggerating , but making fun of the economy of motion and relaxed position I maintain using this controller.
It works great for fps too. I don't think I will ever go back to keyboard, but the g19 extra function buttons are within thumb reach of my left hand , with the g13 up against the keyboard's edge, if I ever 'ran out of room' on the g13.. but I can't really see that happening... especially since i use a naga mouse for another 12 - 17 buttons with macros that are multifunction with modifiers. Be sure to remember that the G13 has three mode buttons on top that can change the whole pad to a different keymap, or a similar one with a few situational edits you did.. (different spec, in a turrent/in a machine, sniping etc).

Just a few last things, since this post is getting long.. The G13's keys are all G numbers.. I set the G15 key to shift, G20 to ctrl, G21 to alt, and the longer G22 key to spacebar.. which are in fairly similar positions to those keys on a keyboard. The shift, alt, and ctrl modify any key I press on the g13 or the naga ,mouse. so any key can do three different things (though I keep most of them to two). As for the hat/joystick, as i said before I also use the stick's N-S-E-W positions with modifier keys to do some common things and I love it. Shift+down = mount macro.. ctrl+down = dismount... down (no modifier) = water shield, mana shield, or bone shield (depending what character I'm on).. shift+up = worldmap toggle.. UP(nomodifier) = horn of winter, or whatever.. Left = character sheet, shift+left = spellbook.. right /shift+right = open bags.. So Left - Right on the stick opens character sheet and backpack... Well you get the idea, lots of cool stuff.

I got the G13 just b/c of the rebate and this nice deal.. it came and for a day I tried to utilize it in every way I could.. using the stick on the side, or using the wasd configuration in the middle, and it failed in so many ways compared to using just my G15.

1) The joystick is small, knobby and pointy (the opposite of what a PS3 one is like) and for larger hands like mine fell right in the joint between the top and lower half of my thumb, where it added discomfort in addition to taking my thumb out of action for button pushing. Which you have no idea how much you relied on, till you cant use it.

2) When moving the WASD controls to the middle of the pad instead of the stick to solve the above problem, I ended up with a) less buttons total on the pad vs. how many I used on my keyboard w/o switching profiles (which is a pain in the ass to remember or do mid-play) and b) less buttons I could reach without playing contortionist with my hand and moving my fingers off the WASD keys (immobilizing my character) while simultaneously causing discomfort in trying to reach the keys.

Sorry dudes, took the advice, tried it out, gave it a shot, but its going back =/

Back