Logitech G Hub - Still Sucking?

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
The last time I used GHUB it was terrible, about a year ago. I couldn't believe how convoluted it was, and people on other forums were saying they couldn't even figure out how to make simple macros with it.

And, it was bad.

Has anyone used it recently? I see they have an update from December 2020.

Last edited:
Garbage. I try to use macros on a few games, and they keep getting screwed up. I'll have Macro list A for one game, and Macro list B for another. Sometimes A works for B, B for A, other times they work, others they don't register at all.

Garbage.

In the rare chance that I actually got the thing to get past the initial loading screen, i installed some profiles onto my mouse hardware and never, ever touched g hub ever again.

Last edited:
It is pretty but garbage. I configured onboard mouse memory with it and try not to use it otherwise.

Garbage. I try to use macros on a few games, and they keep getting screwed up. I'll have Macro list A for one game, and Macro list B for another. Sometimes A works for B, B for A, other times they work, others they don't register at all.

Garbage.
Like Westwood experienced, yeah, me too. I was only successful getting it to work in single mode. God that program is confusing. Probably another farmed out project to incompetent software developers in Katmandu.

The way the do their macros is like alien logic, though. It's just completely intuitive. And then if you need to change a simple aspect of the macro, you have to nearly start all over again. I'll probably never buy another Logitech gaming product until they pull their heads out of their asses. But, by then, I may be with a totally different ecosystem.

Right now my LG G305 is a brick for gaming because the macro program is so bad. The quality of teh G305 is poor, also. The side key stopped working correctly after about a month.

I use it for my keyboard, mouse and headset, not a single complaint. 90% of the time it sits neatly in my system tray.

Macros were extremely simple though I only every used that function once, don't need macros for anything really.

Yes, it still sucks. It takes like 10 steps to do what Setpoint/LGS used to do in one. Luckily I don't really need to use it often. I set my G502's buttons once and programmed them to the hardware. I only open the program every 5-6 months to see if they added anything to it or to see if I have new firmware. The program is as clumsy as ever whenever I look.
With my Keyboard, it wants to run resident all of the time, which is a big fat "NO" for me, so my 6 G-Macro keys don't do anything.

I'm also likely never going to get another logitech peripheral once this G502 dies.

I wish I could do the same. The problem is that I can't find a mouse that's any better. Especially the wireless G502.
There are better wireless keyboards than my G613, but many of those have their own proprietary software, too. Doubling down on Logitech has allowed me to at least narrow the suck down to GHUB.

I just switched from a Corsair mouse and keyboard to Logitech (G502 and G815). I love the hardware—the G815 is especially heavenly—and I don't mind the software, at least compared to the pile of shit that is iCUE. Aside from being a bit clunky to use, I haven't ran into anything particularly buggy with G HUB. It all seems to work as it should, which is a hell of a lot more than I can say about iCUE.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
I'm avoiding GHub as long as possible. Fortunately LGS still works fine for my needs (which aren't much... I use it mostly to set a certain LED color or switch off altogether.. maybe the occasional firmware update, or adjusting DPI settings to the onboard memory).

To be fair to GHub - I've never installed it so I cannot comment on the current version. At some time in the last few years they tried to switch me over to it but I had read too many horror stories and LGS worked fine.

I wish I could do the same. The problem is that I can't find a mouse that's any better. Especially the wireless G502.
There are better wireless keyboards than my G613, but many of those have their own proprietary software, too. Doubling down on Logitech has allowed me to at least narrow the suck down to GHUB.
They will all have proprietary software. The great think about Logitech, in the past, quality products, great warranty service, good software, and unifying receivers. Thus, you only had to have one program running for games and one receiver for other nongaming mice. Now, it's much different with Logitech, having poor quality, and crappy software. For business, sure, they still have a great product, but for gaming, I'm really looking elsewhere for both quality and software.

Yes, it still sucks. It takes like 10 steps to do what Setpoint/LGS used to do in one.
That's my experience too. Unbelievably convoluted macro program just to set up a simple macro. Well, ok, so Logitech is going eh way of the gaming dinosaur. Fine by me. There are not lots of companies out there doing super gaming products with excellent, easy to use software. It's just a matter of finding one. that, and i wasted 50 bucks on a Logishit gaming mouse.

I played with it for fifteen minutes and couldn't figure out how to dim the brightness on my keyboard. Lol

Forget what this replaced but that worked ok for me.

I have to use it. I don't know how to adjust the DPI on my mouse without it.

I played with it for fifteen minutes and couldn't figure out how to dim the brightness on my keyboard. Lol

Forget what this replaced but that worked ok for me.
I had to relearn the principles of non-logic to finally make some macros. It's jsut farmed out shit programming from incompetent developers.

Yes, literally just made a thread asking for other mouse options because Ghub is so bad. Love the mouse. Worst software ever. Never again.

Not to mention I'm dealing with a warranty claim (pain in the butt dealing with logitech) because my left click spazzes out sometimes. Have owned the mouse less than 1 year and already shitting the bed. Kind of off topic but yeah, Ghub is not good.

Yes, literally just made a thread asking for other mouse options because Ghub is so bad. Love the mouse. Worst software ever. Never again.

Not to mention I'm dealing with a warranty claim (pain in the butt dealing with logitech) because my left click spazzes out sometimes. Have owned the mouse less than 1 year and already shitting the bed. Kind of off topic but yeah, Ghub is not good.
Same problem with my G305. Less than 6 months went buy and one of the thumb buttons started working intermittently. They replaced it pretty fast, but still, Logitech quality isn't any better than Chinese knock offs anymore--because they are made in the same factory with the same quality control, then stamped with the Logitech screen print. Like you said, too, on top of it all, pretty much non-functioning software makes Logitech a no go. Chinese gaming mouse companies have some decent mice, fast 1000Hz polling, but the software is not signed by MS, so you don't know what you are getting. It works well, but the driver's/macro are are just downloaded from their Google drive, seriously. Not installing that shit.

At this point, the only thing LT has going for it is the unifying receiver, but then their gaming mice don't use that, and each one is different, so not that big of a deal ether.

I have one of those Chinese 'gaming' keyboards that have the Chinese Cherry knock off switch, comes in wires and Bluetooth 3.0, but the BT connection is a fucking joke. Keys stick on, it stops working intermittently, etc. Wired, they work fine. No lag, NKRO 100%, etc, but the BT connection is shit.

Then I'm typing on a lower end Chinese wireless 2.4 nongaming board right now and it never misses a beat, no input lag, etc. It's not full NKRO but it is enough to play 99% of any games you will play.

Logitech better watch out or it's going to lose it's gaming customer base.

Yawp. Next keyboard or mouse that I get will not be Logitech.

Crazy thing is, I have a Logitech 7.1 surround sound setup that's got to be like 25 years old. Its amazing. Probably the longest lasting piece of equipment I've ever owned.

Yawp. Next keyboard or mouse that I get will not be Logitech.

Crazy thing is, I have a Logitech 7.1 surround sound setup that's got to be like 25 years old. Its amazing. Probably the longest lasting piece of equipment I've ever owned.
LOL, I'm using a 2005 Creative Inspire 5800 that still runs great for gaming. Sound wise, it's ok, but it sounds like a gaming system. I also had it in a garage for 6 years. Puled it out, cleaned it up, and it fired right up no problems. It sounds better than the Klipsch 2.1 gaming speakers at Costco--which isn't impressive at all.
41MNZ3W2CJL._AC_.jpg

LOL, I'm using a 2005 Creative Inspire 5800 that still runs great for gaming. Sound wise, it's ok, but it sounds like a gaming system. I also had it in a garage for 6 years. Puled it out, cleaned it up, and it fired right up no problems. It sounds better than the Klipsch 2.1 gaming speakers at Costco--which isn't impressive at all.
View attachment 330747
41-oUp0IPVL._AC_.jpg

That's the one I'm rocking. 5.1, not 7.1. oops

G51. Thing's gotta be 20 years old at least.

Yep. GHUB is still awful. Impossible to figure out how to config properly, and for the life of me I can't get it to work with ANY game that does active control of the lighting. (Like Battlefront 2, etc.) So i'm still sitting here using gaming software which they haven't updated since like the end of 2018. Luckily, from what I can see, the LGS still works with most things. So i'll continue using it. I don't know why they made such a massive downgrade with GHUB.

All of that being said, I will never buy another Logitech product again because of GHUB. So once this G810 keyboard and G Pro Hero mouse need to be replaced, if the new Logitech hardware doesn't work with LGS, Logitech is dead to me.

Same problem with my G305. Less than 6 months went buy and one of the thumb buttons started working intermittently. They replaced it pretty fast, but still, Logitech quality isn't any better than Chinese knock offs anymore--because they are made in the same factory with the same quality control, then stamped with the Logitech screen print. Like you said, too, on top of it all, pretty much non-functioning software makes Logitech a no go. Chinese gaming mouse companies have some decent mice, fast 1000Hz polling, but the software is not signed by MS, so you don't know what you are getting. It works well, but the driver's/macro are are just downloaded from their Google drive, seriously. Not installing that shit.

At this point, the only thing LT has going for it is the unifying receiver, but then their gaming mice don't use that, and each one is different, so not that big of a deal ether.

I have one of those Chinese 'gaming' keyboards that have the Chinese Cherry knock off switch, comes in wires and Bluetooth 3.0, but the BT connection is a fucking joke. Keys stick on, it stops working intermittently, etc. Wired, they work fine. No lag, NKRO 100%, etc, but the BT connection is shit.

Then I'm typing on a lower end Chinese wireless 2.4 nongaming board right now and it never misses a beat, no input lag, etc. It's not full NKRO but it is enough to play 99% of any games you will play.

Maybe im crazy for thinking this but I think there is a huge opportunity for someone to come in and take over the market for gaming mouse.

Imagine a mouse that works. No issues for years, intuitive software that works and good customer service. Its possible.

My first mouse was a now discontinued "EC Technology 8000 DPI Gaming mouse"

Had it for 4 years without a single issue. The software was very simple but it worked. The problem was the mouse was very large so when I was shopping for my next mouse everyone said g502 and thats all I heard about. Very sad the most popular gaming mouse is plagued with issues.

Maybe im crazy for thinking this but I think there is a huge opportunity for someone to come in and take over the market for gaming mouse.

Imagine a mouse that works. No issues for years, intuitive software that works and good customer service. Its possible.

My first mouse was a now discontinued "EC Technology 8000 DPI Gaming mouse"

Had it for 4 years without a single issue. The software was very simple but it worked. The problem was the mouse was very large so when I was shopping for my next mouse everyone said g502 and thats all I heard about. Very sad the most popular gaming mouse is plagued with issues.
Just all of the usual marketing/brand name stuff. e.g, who is going to buy a mouse from a brand new company? Takes a lot of work and seed money.

There are new mouse companies. I think Finalmouse has been successful, just looked and they're coming out with a new wireless ultralight mouse. I'm sure there have been others, there have been for keyboard and other peripherals. I have no idea how good their software or customer service are. I've tried other brands but I always end up going back to Logitech because they usually have the best performing hardware (at least for my needs), and that's what I care about most.

I've looked around for non-Logitech options and there simply aren't many good ones. Especially wireless models. There are a fair number of Intellimouse clones with 2 shoulder buttons, but if I wanted that I'd just get the real thing. I need a mouse with a decent amount of buttons and I like having some level of customization, too. Many games don't like mouse button functions that go past 3, so I need to make them keystrokes.
That pretty much narrows it down to Logi, Corsair, and Razer. I dunno what kind of software Razer has, but Corsair's iCue makes GHUB feel awesome. Plus, I can't really say I love the feel of their mice, either. I was about to buy one, but luckily Microcenter had some on display. No thanks.
That pretty much only leaves Razer. Anyone have experience with their software? I've dabbled with their equipment at their store in Vegas. Everything felt nice/comfy and solid.

I had an issue years ago with the original Blackwidow Ultimate and Razer Synapse software. The KB was fine and worked great without need for software. At some point Synapse became required if you wanted to update the KB firmware so I installed it. Now it tries to install stuff on every device you plug the KB into (no, not the basic drivers but Synapse)... now my KB acts like malware - no thanks, Razer - and the update was irreversible. That was the last penny I spent on anything made by them. Maybe they're great now and it's my loss but whatever - this is how you lose a customer for life.

Synapse is the reason that I, to this day many years later, avoid additional software if at all possible with my peripherals (not talking about the drivers). Never installed iCue, GHub, MasterPlus or whatever CoolerMaster calls theirs, etc... I did HAVE to install Logitech Gaming Software for a headset I used to use, fortunately it doesn't act like malware, or make my hardware somewhat surreptitiously install crap without my permission.

I think the problem with most of these hardware manufacturers is always going to be the software. It's not their forte and not very high on their priority list.

Last edited:
I had an issue years ago with the original Blackwidow Ultimate and Razer Synapse software. The KB was fine and worked great without need for software. At some point Synapse became required if you wanted to update the KB firmware so I installed it. Now it tries to install stuff on every device you plug the KB into (no, not the basic drivers but Synapse)... now my KB acts like malware - no thanks, Razer - and the update was irreversible. That was the last penny I spent on anything made by them. Maybe they're great now and it's my loss but whatever - this is how you lose a customer for life.

Synapse is the reason that I, to this day many years later, avoid additional software if at all possible with my peripherals (not talking about the drivers). Never installed iCue, GHub, MasterPlus or whatever CoolerMaster calls theirs, etc... I did HAVE to install Logitech Gaming Software for a headset I used to use, fortunately it doesn't act like malware, or make my hardware somewhat surreptitiously install crap without my permission.

I think the problem with most of these hardware manufacturers is always going to be the software. It's not their forte and not very high on their priority list.
Beleiveit or not, the easiest and most effective macro program I've ever used was Microsoft gaming mouse and a normal MS keyboard. Both had macro software that worked perfectly, and was super easy to work with. The mouse macro software, for instance, had a setting where you could assign a 180 degree turn to any mouse button. that's a really functional macro to have. No way to spin a mouse that fast. Logitech's old macro software was good to. I think I'll reinstall it.

I think the lastest update just broke the G560 lighting again... Sigh it was working perfectly too

I'm sitting here wondering why it has to be so complicated to adjust the DPI on a mouse. And why it can't be on the mouse itself rather than having to wait for the program to load in Windows on boot.

It can be on the mouse, there's a way to move it onto the mouse firmware and never, ever load or even install ghub ever again.

It's just that the settings for ghub are so confusing that applying it to the mouse firmware is hard to find.

It's pretty much this. GHUB does an horrible job of explaining what's being handled in real time via their software (which has to run resident all of the time) vs. what has been programmed to the mouse's firmware. GHUB can program at least many (most?) of their mice permanently via firmware so that you never need to install/use it again. At least beyond getting firmware updates. You have to make sure you're using "onboard mode" and a persistent profile...neither of which is clearly explained anywhere. It took a lot of tinkering for me to get it working, which pretty much says all.

Just to confirm, G-Hub is still garbage. I installed it because I "had to" to support a mouse upgrade. I went from a freaking G900 to a G903 and the old software, which worked perfectly without any issues and in fact was so inconspicuous I'd forgotten it was there, didn't support the new mouse. First install part way through Win 10 BSODd. Some minor damage to the file system repaired and a second attempt to install worked. Then there was an update. Clicked the 'update' button, a little notice pops up 'G-Hub is upgrading in the background and will restart once it's ready.' A few seconds later, BSOD. That was roughly two months ago. Another update, which apparently was on the 6th but the app didn't notice until today. Again, click the 'upgrade' button and roughly ten seconds later BSOD. that's when I decided to start hunting around for answers. I discover not only is G-Hub well known for issues Logitech simply does not care. The web is chock full of complaints about G-Hub but not a single Logitech acknowledgement or any sign they intend to address any of the issues reported. I'd open a support ticket with Logitech if I could figure out how but it seems the only way you can get support is by calling voice which isn't possible at this time. Very disappointed in the company and how difficult they make it to get help and how little they care about their horrible software. I doubt I will ever buy another Logitech product. I went through this sh*t with Corsair and a "surround sound" USB headset. You HAD to use iCue to use the surround features. It would lock up the machine at random, caused all sorts of performance issues, and would conflict with other similar software (MSI's afterburner for example). Never again.

I have a g13 and use it for GPU fan speed, recording hotkey and other stuff with just a tap of the g keys. Didn't have any troubles programming the macros.

Back