login screen takes a loooong time

oOo sam lee oOo

Limp Gawd
you know that login screen that comes on, wher eyou choose users and stuff? well, my sister's, mom's and dad's gets to that in a couple seconds, but it takes mine about 2 minutes for the accounts to show up. (its only my account there but it has a pw) why is ithis happening?

could it be that i have 67% of my 120gb hd used?

If you're running XP Pro and it belongs to a domain, but you don't have a domain controller available it can take a long time. Otherwise, it's something (or many things) that take time to get going when you start up. Spyware or a virus? ehhh...Maybe...

But first, try looking at your services and see if there's too much going on. Also, check your system and application event logs. Look for the events right after startup, and in particular look for things that time-out, repeat themselves often, have red warnings, or follow a significant interval of time since the previous message in the log.

I suspect that you just got too much crap running. Uninstall stuff that you know that you don't need. P2P would be the first thing I'd boot from my system if I were you.

Good luck.

It's trying to find a network address for your computer and the ethernet card times out after a predetermined amount of time. a router would solve this problem.

Can't lock in a specific address cause most isp's don't have static addresses anyways.

Back