Login failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer

Mike1233

n00b
I'm trying to share a folder between computers. The first computer has the file on it and I shared it with all privledges (read/write/etc..) for all users. It is a Win 7 home computer so its not a domain account.

The second computer is on the domain. I get "\\computer 1 is not accessible. You might not have the permission to use this network resource. Contact the admin of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Login failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer" when I try to access that computer in the "network" tab on the left of the "My computer" window.

I tried a few guides that told me to edit things on the local group policy on the server, but they didn't work.

Any ideas on how to fix it? I didn't set the computers up this way and adding it to the domain is the last option that I don't want to do.

Hopefully you UNDID the things that didn't work.

Can you ping the machine from the command line?

Did you check firewall rules?

If your seeing you don't have permission to use this resource, and login failure, that generally implies that SMB is working. If you got "Windows cannot access" then that implies it couldn't even find something to connect to. There are two things you need to look at:

1. Were is the folder located? If you put the shared folder inside of program files, or your user's account, then permissions are going to be restricted in those areas. Security is a combination of both share permissions and security permissions. You can grant everyone full control to the share, but if that user doesn't have read access to the folder through security, they still won't be able to see it.

2. Windows tries to use the current logged in user for credentials automatically. Since you're going domain -> non domain it tends to get mad about not being able to look up a user. When trying to get to the share, you'll probably want to try mapping a drive with alternate credentials. Open up file explorer, right click on "This PC" and choose "map network drive". Put the path to the folder in the folder textbox, and check "connect using different credentials". Keep in mind that you may need to put in computername\user otherwise your machine might assume that you meant domainname\user and try using that as credentials instead.

If that doesn't work I've honestly found it's easier to go the other way around. Because the non domain machine doesn't have any trusts, it's not as picky about connecting to domain joined machines. Domain joined machines seem to be more picky about connecting to non domain joined machines.

Back