Location of your home server?

Thank you. I'll pull the server down today and listen to it and see what fans need to be replaced. 80mm and 92mm fans seems fairly loud.

I <3 Noctua. I cant believe I didnt look for these sooner.

Yeah, see if you can stick with just 120mm fans. Noctua does have some really quiet ones, especially if you run them at the lower RPM around 1200.

With the exception of my mini Cisco lab, all my rack gear is under the house in the crawl space. It's pretty dry and temperature stable year round and isolates the noise from the rest of the house very well.

Do you have problems from crawly things?

I have a gravel Crawlspace, but the room that I want to add a "small room to" is attached to the Crawlspace directly, I was thinking about a home improvement project to build a small room in it. Ideas?

Mine is in my basement.

15104817929_f85d18d3a6_b.jpg

Wish I had a rack, but this will have to do for now.

Side note, I used to have a HP DL 180G6. it was too loud, even for basement use. Loudest damned server I have ever seen (or heard)

No basement so I've got my server equipment in my walk in closet using the IKEA rack. NAS/media server, 1U 24 port POE switch (crazy loud with 6 fans running all the time), 1U patch panel, and a pair of UPS's.

I have a gravel Crawlspace, but the room that I want to add a "small room to" is attached to the Crawlspace directly, I was thinking about a home improvement project to build a small room in it. Ideas?

I personally would not as it would be a considerably amount of work for a tiny little area. You would need to cut out some of your floorboards, build a really small space if your house is only raised 6" or so from the ground, and I wouldn't even know how you'd run electrical from the outside without some sort of electrical code violation. You would also need to run duct work for ventilation as you don't want the dirt and grime from your crawlspace either. If you really wanted to hide your network gear somewhere, I'd think of your attic if you had an active cooling fan that keeps the temperatures unless 90 degrees, maybe even directly under the fan? That would be problematic too.

Last edited:
Basement, I have one of those NSF wire shelving units in my basement with a 2U Dell server, home built Hyper-V server and a home made storage server. No noise upstairs, which is nice.

I did quite a few upgrades to my setup since I last posted. :p

rack 1: server rack
rack 2: power + misc/lab equipment (it's mostly empty now, just has inverter-charger)
rack 3: batteries

More recent pic with new VM server. (Moria) Isengard is storage, obviously.

Oh and since it's about the location probably good to show a shot to show the whole room, framed up:

That's an older pic, has a door now. Saving up money now to do the rest. HVAC / HRV system, foam insulation on the outside walls (of the whole basement) and batt insulation, vapor barrier and drywall for the server room itself. It will be a rather well sealed room.

Last edited:
Zarathustra[H];1041129345 said:
Wish I had a rack, but this will have to do for now.

I wish I had a basement. My house has a "crawl space," unpaved, gets wet when it rains a lot, etc.

Sheesh. That's like keeping a pony in the family room.

I have my file server and a UPS in the basement. Up on a shelf, just to keep them off the floor.

lol that must be loud.

I actually moved my workstation away from my desk to get more quietness, less heat and less dust. Still need to convert them to rackmount though.

My server makes almost no noise at all. It's in a Fractal Design Node 304. 8HDD,1SSD. And it's next to my TV, as it doubles as a HTPC, media server.

Back