Local seller wants $500 for 3008WFP. Scam?

eat2na

Limp Gawd
He said he upgraded to a better TV and don't need this TV anymore lol! He first told me it was a 3007wfp but then told me it was a 3008wfp his father bought for him? He lives 60 miles from me so I don't want to drive there and be mug or something. I asked for the service tag number but his room mate could not find any service tags and the seller won't be back home for a week. What else should I ask for before I drive and take a look at it? Is a 60 mile drive each way so I wanna make sure.

Could just be stolen.

Have him write his name on a piece of paper and take a pic of the monitor to prove he actually has it and email it to you.

Sounds like a scam.

Although for an hour drive, $500 is pretty hard to pass up if it's in good shape. Just take friends.

I sent him this picture and he says his room mate still can't find the service tag. I am gonna paint some arrows next to the service tags so he can clearly see.. wtf.
bigconns.jpg

Meet at pubic places. You need to plug it to the wall to make sure it work. Bring your laptop extend monitor it out. Dont show her where your house is. If it is 3008wfp, get it for $500 and leave driving your car backwards to avoid her seeing your tag.

Meet at pubic places. You need to plug it to the wall to make sure it work. Bring your laptop extend monitor it out. Dont show her where your house is. If it is 3008wfp, get it for $500 and leave driving your car backwards to avoid her seeing your tag.

If she speaks and you detect a slight Russian accent , report her to the FBI! :D

Meet at public places. You need to plug it to the wall to make sure it work. Bring your laptop extend monitor it out. Dont show her where your house is. If it is 3008wfp, get it for $500 and leave driving your car backwards to avoid her seeing your tag.

And this is how I feel about all my craigslist interactions, gotta get in and get out with the best possible outcome while being prepared for the worst. I don't think it's a scam, but I do think that perhaps there might be some detail that they're not telling you about. Most likely stolen.

I sent him another picture with the location of the service tag and he said both the service tag and express service code tag are missing. Also he doesn't have the original order number, receipt, box or anything that came with it or any information on who bought it. He said his father bought it a "long" lol!!...time ago....but his father passed away. I am sure he does have a 3008WFP stolen or maybe from ebay?? and there is something wrong. I wanted to transfer the ownership and warranty but can't do it without the service tag or order number. So he can keep it unless he sells it to me for like $100 bucks! :)

Tell him to take a photo, everyone has a camera phone these days.

Just let it go - more problems than it is worth. Sorry man. Buying stolen property. Use your head.

Sorry for my strange interest, but is there anything that can go wrong with buying a stolen TV, other than losing warranty?

There's got to be something more to the story. You can't be convicted of possessing or receiving stolen property unless there's evidence that shows it was stolen (and usually "it's too good to be true" isn't enough). There was probably something else going on...

Sorry for my strange interest, but is there anything that can go wrong with buying a stolen TV, other than losing warranty?

*cough* "lost" iPhone 4/Engadget stuff? Steve Jobs owns that website for free now. :D

Yes. If they trace it back to you and you have the stolen goods you have to turn it over to the police. You will not be reimbursed. You'll be out the item and your money.

In the event that the goods turn out to be stolen, are you within your rights to sue the seller for your money back?

I think it depends on the state. The main example sticking out for me right now is the Iphone 4 spectacle with Gizmodo and how they might be liable.

I sent him another picture with the location of the service tag and he said both the service tag and express service code tag are missing. Also he doesn't have the original order number, receipt, box or anything that came with it or any information on who bought it. He said his father bought it a "long" lol!!...time ago....but his father passed away. I am sure he does have a 3008WFP stolen or maybe from ebay?? and there is something wrong. I wanted to transfer the ownership and warranty but can't do it without the service tag or order number. So he can keep it unless he sells it to me for like $100 bucks! :)

wow, that sounds like stolen.... at best

buy it, stolen or not its $500.

Just be sure you send someone else to pick it up in the event the FED's get ya cuz that would be a nice sting operation for nub [H] ers. But if no one is out to get ya, and it works, just hide it in your man cave.

buy it, stolen or not its $500.

Just be sure you send someone else to pick it up in the event the FED's get ya cuz that would be a nice sting operation for nub [H] ers. But if no one is out to get ya, and it works, just hide it in your man cave.

it's not the FEDs, no worry there at all, they have far more important things than to try to nab someone who might get tempted by a stolen item, plus it's not certain that it's stolen so they couldn't nab him for anything anyway unless they told him which the sellers don't appear to be doing

but muggers....

anyway it's probably physically safe for you and they just want to sell the likely stolen monitor but there is always the chance they might just want to mug you for the $500

anyway stay away you don't want to give them business (at best) or something else (at worst)

it's also possible it was stolen a few owners back and the current ones are legit, who knows

Last edited:
Make the trade at a local computer store that has video surveillance and is willing to let you test the hardware.

I see a 3008WFP sells for $450 local as well and the owner says it has a tiny blue vertical line on it, probably not worth the hassle to jump. Thoughts?

Just tell him that it sounds like a great deal, and since it is a gift for your Police Officer buddy that you will bring him along as well. Check reaction. Wait for results.

If you go: Wear a vest, pack heat. lol

AVOID. this deal sounds really shady. especially with the missing tags.

If you are in possession of stolen property, not only could you be in trouble since you had suspicion that it was stolen when you bought it, but it will almost certainly be confiscated.

And about the guy who suggested suing the seller? Are you crazy? Those people dip town as soon as they 'unload' their 'ill-gotten' goods. Good luck ever finding him again. You can't sue a person you can't find!

Save your money and look for a legit deal on a refurbished model on ebay instead.

AVOID. this deal sounds really shady. especially with the missing tags.

If you are in possession of stolen property, not only could you be in trouble since you had suspicion that it was stolen when you bought it, but it will almost certainly be confiscated.

And about the guy who suggested suing the seller? Are you crazy? Those people dip town as soon as they 'unload' their 'ill-gotten' goods. Good luck ever finding him again. You can't sue a person you can't find!

Save your money and look for a legit deal on a refurbished model on ebay instead.

You're right, but I was thinking about that specific case someone mentioned where Lance Armstrong's bike was stolen and both the original thief and the eventual buyer ended up in jail.

Does the buyer get to sue the thief for damages, and his money back?

To the people saying to just go buy stolen property, what the hell is wrong with you?

I can't believe that this person is still interested in selling it to you. With any normal criminal it would be more like this:

Criminal: "Hey man I have this sweet monitor for sale, 500 bucks."

You: "Hey what is the service tag #?"

Criminal: "See you later, I'm going to sell this to someone who doesn't ask so many questions."

But this guy is apparently in no hurry at all. Which makes me think that he might be selling you a counterfeit. This monitor might just look like a 3008WFP and be labelled as such, but it could just be shit and he is hoping you don't try it out first before buying.

And one more thing, everyone is talking about the consequences of buying stolen property and mentioning things like getting into trouble with the law and losing out on warrenty support. How about something much simpler and important: Losing your moral character. Buying stolen property is wrong, that should be good enough. What if it was your monitor you paid top dollar for? If nobody bought stolen property, less of it would be stolen in the first place.

Back