Local Remote Controls for Display

Landmine

Limp Gawd
I want to remotely control a computer hooked to my tv from another computer.

Remote Desktop doesn't work because it shows the lock screen on the TV when I login

LogMeIn (Want it locally) )works while I'm logged in but I want to be able to turn on a webpage, movie or whatever and leave it on the screen

Any other apps or ideas to make something like this work?

Recommend a good client and server? TightVNC seems to be working, but it isnt showing me the right 10% of the TV screen.

VNC is painfully slow.

Is there maybe an app I can use that will just be a remote keyboard and mouse?

If you're just trying to pull up something on the system remotely, I don't see how it would be a problem. I get at least 5 FPS over my WAN connection and more than that locally. You can lower the number of colours to 256 to improve speed as well.

Loading Google Maps for truck tracking on a TV. It's really slow, about a 3-5 second delay.

Are you using the mirror video driver? It makes a substantial difference in terms of performance.

Splashtop might work better for what you're trying to do. Also, there are RDP hacks out there that will let you connect to the main session rather than forcing a logout. Google is your friend on that one.

Or is this the droid you're looking for? http://synergy-foss.org/

Install the concurrent user hack so you can have multiple TS sessions.

Concurrent isnt so much what I need as being able to RDP without logging the user off so it acts like VNC

Can I use Remote Desktop to login to a computer WITHOUT booting them AND with them seeing what I'm doing? Basically a remote assistance setup that does not require them to request help.

Last edited:
I will say this when using the concurrent sessions patch: create and use two different user accounts. You can have only one account and have them logged in at the same time, but things get wonky when you start installing programs and such.

So have one account that is always logged in and displayed on the TV, and a remote user account just for logging in via RDP

I know a lot of suggestions have been thrown out but you could consider Synergy. It lets you use the mouse and keyboard from one computer to control another computer when you can see that computer's display. It even behaves like having dual monitors you just move the mouse to the edge of the screen and it appears on the other computer. For myself I use it when I have my laptop and desktop on the same table and I can use my desktop mouse and keyboard to control my laptop and go back and fourth between the two. It's only the mouse and keyboard you don't get a remote control screen or anything.

http://synergy-foss.org/

Back